Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question For You Southern Folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jul 3, 2020.

1. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Hot not so bad,when the humidity drops to 20% or so doesn't bother me,but I have worked outdoors all my life.This year bought a mini split for the shop.

RMONTY likes this.
  2. 34Larry

34Larry

hummmmmmmmmmmmmm Its been colder than a well diggers ass here in western Washington. lived here 81 years, have never seen temps this cold and windy in all those years.
    BTW, heard that well diggers saying all my life. Wonder how cold does a well diggers ass get anyway?
    :eek:

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I've lived in SE Mi & western Ky. so I know a bit about humidity. I live in Az. now. Yes it gets too hot to be outside for long at times but that's what they made a/c for. To me anything lower than 80* is cold.

4. Callmaker

Callmaker

Oh, about as cold as a witch's tit!!

VANDENPLAS and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  5. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

47014EBA-5FA3-47D8-BA1A-28996AFC69C5.jpeg Guess I’m through for the day, should of started earlier. 1:30 pm. I am DONE for the day.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  6. Boodlum

Boodlum

Raised on a ranch/farm with several of my great-grandfather's hand-dug and brick-cased wells that occasionally required maintenance, let me assure you your ass gets cold sitting in the bottom of the shaft. Cold wet ground sucks the body heat out of you pretty fast even in summer. Most interesting part is the creatures you meet down there. Snakes mostly. I liked working there at midday so some sunlight got down the shaft. Lanterns burned up the air and CO2 made you dizzy and it was time to climb or be drug out. Always wore a rope around my waist in case of cave-in too.
    Oh yeah, water has to be constantly removed while you're working. A dry well doesn't need work.
    Don't remember which was more fun, fixing wells or climbing windmill towers with wasp nests on top.

ETA: My double-car garage with 24,000 BTU cooling and 16,000 BTU heat stays 72F year round. My farm kid/well digger's ass is old enough to deserve it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    RMONTY, Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Just think of working in below zero weather. lol..

I prefer the heat. My body parts dont hurt as bad, I hate AC but she likes it so my ac is on lol.. But she's well worth it..

56don and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Ah we got a reprieve? 75 with 88% humidity so like 88.
    Cloudy and dome t/storms comin through.
    Although its humid, with lower temps it feels much cooler.
    Just finished painting daughters room, I can assure you that room is super humid with latex paint drying....lol
    Its all Good, I like some winter too but prefer summer.
    Hey you guys that have winters where its say 45 to 55 during the day and dry, gotta be a great time for outdoor work if not raining or slushy snow on ground.
    Up here in the dead of winter snow is super dry and not the least bit slushy.
    Highways and most main roads in winter are dry as cam be when its cold. My truck doesn't even get dirty in that kinda weather...lol

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Coconut Grove,now over run by Miami Fla.,I grow up in the Grove and our house was only one house off the bay,so nearly always brezz,an I had an still have a box fan. Never saw AC tell collage in 1964,but there was AC in a number of stores around town. No,I don't think it's hotter now,kids are just wimps.
    I had to walk to school up hill both ways !!!!in the snow all year ! LOL

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess it must be like a lot of things, you like what you're use to. For me, I have never dealt well with high humidity along with high temperatures. As been said, you can only take so much off. It also seems to follow that warm areas attract snakes and other poisonous species. So I don't mind dealing with the cold. You learn how to dress for it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Shop is 105 inside , roof is 135 inside today.

12. Was the nurse hot?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

upload_2020-7-4_15-58-48.jpeg Gonna be a hot one!

Hemiman 426 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. I vote too for Ice Cold something. Thursday and yesterday we broke down my 327. Two and a half hours later it was 96 when I got to the machine shop with the heads. Just a wee bit of heat stroke! I almost passed out at the shop. As grampa would say, "Air conditioning makes ya weak." Someday I'll have enough cash for an air-conditioned garage....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

warhorseracing and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

In the days of chalk boards I used to get that bad in the winters. My brother, the roofer, put me on to the cure. It's the calluses that are cracking. The trick is to take sandpaper (I like 120 grit.) or a woman's emory board and sand the calluses down. It hurts a little if you wait until after they crack to sand them but it hurts less after and they heal faster.

lake_harley likes this.
  16. Mark, the nurse could have looked like Raquel Welch in one million years BC and I wouldn't have noticed, I was out of it, Brenda said they ask me my name and I told them John Futch, I knew a guy in high school with that name and haven't thought of him in over 50 years.

I guess God wasn't ready for me yet. HRP

17. Budget36

Budget36

I'm not in the area, but we hit triple digits or very close for 3 months or so, we do have drier weather so the evap cooler runs and works well....when the humidity spikes I just let the fan blow to make a breeze.

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I love where I live. However some days in the summer it gets too hot for me. I'm a 18-24*c kind of guy. I've been back east a couple of times with the humidity and I'm not built for it. I'll get all the heat I need when I die so I don't need it now! Besides, you can always get warmer but getting cooler is a lot more difficult.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I live in Oklahoma, both the race car shop and my detached garage are air conditioned! I’m old enough to deserve it! I graduated from high school many many years ago without a/c! I laugh today when they close schools because the a/c went out. We are raising a bunch of whimps today!

Bones

20. Western Sodak is not to bad, we get hot days but it cools off. Our climate is high desert and pretty moderate.

21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve been to your sate at least 17 times staying from a few days to a few weeks! Some of the best roads in the nation! Iron Mountain road, Needles High way, Spearfish Canyon, just to name a few!
    I have froze and melted in your state! Lol

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. I live mere minutes from Iron Mtn road

23. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I d say not really that cold being ground temp at various depths ranges from 60 to 50 degrees in most areas , prob some exceptions such as northern areas in winter , think I saw where ground temp there can be 44 or so .

24. 26Troadster

26Troadster

alabama is like houston texas, we get winter and summer. really nothing in between. big shop fans, shade trees and water sports for the younger ones, for us older ones we provide our own water sports called soaking wet with sweat.

56don, Boneyard51 and Roothawg like this.
  25. I,m sure it was a scary moment. Glad you came out of it OK. All I can think of is you have a long way to fall to do a face plant. It has been hot and humid here in CT. I have not even wanted to take the roadster out for a drive. I work outside until I can no longer stand it. Then it's shower time and a cold ice tea. Thank God for A/C. Stay Cool!

26. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

27. Hey Roothawg ,,,where were you camping there,,,,the shores of Hell ?

To be honest,,,it does get pretty hot here in the southeast,,,,,,,,so what,,,,,you live with it .
    It’s really the humidity that hurts,,,,the other day it was 96 here,,,,but the humidity was very low,,,it felt like 75 .
    Some days it is 82 and you think it is 110,,,,,,,you deal with it .
    Been here all my life,,,,I really can’t imagine anywhere else I would rather live .
    Been a lot of places,,,,,,but I always get a comfortable feeling when I see those banners on the interstate saying,,,,,”Welcome to Tennessee “ .
    I’m sorry guys,,,,,I guess I’m just a hillbilly at heart ,,even though I live in the valley,,,LoL.

I also agree with Dana,,,,,,we are weak and spoiled,,,,when I grew up ,,,no a/c in the house,,,,,yeah we suffered,,,,,but we all lived through it .
    Man,,,the summer nights were the worst,,,,,,,windows up,,,box fan blowing,,,,still so hot you could barely sleep .

Oh yeah,,,by the way,,,,I love my A/C now,,,,,,central,,,,oh yeah !

Tommy

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Mmm. Someone commented New Orleans is bad. NOLA is dry and pleasant compared to down here. I'm on a small dry spit of land surrounded by peat marsh, with the Gulf of Mexico 20 miles away.
    This year has been unusual, there's been a breeze. Usually it's dead calm here and the humidity does its best to suck the life out of you.
    A big shop fan simply blows the sweat from one side of your face to the other. It doesn't evaporate, not even in 95F.
    Got a 5600btu window unit in the workshop (16x18) which struggles to keep the room below 80F but knocks the humidity down to a much more manageable and dry 85%, where at least the tools don't rust so fast.

Phil

29. Yes. We had no air conditioning at my childhood home or schools that I went to. Did not have it at Army Basic Training either and that was at good ol Ft. Benning Ga. from early June to mid September. Even when we were in Iraq in 2003-2005 no AC in the tents we were in when we stayed in the FOB's. It was actually safer outside of the wire away from the REMFS. Now retired I have AC in my house and all of my late model DD's.

30. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Since I am in CT I need both A/C and Heat, So I put a mini split in the garage. Only problem is it does not like grinding dust, have to clean filters often when grinding so I try to do that outside as much as possible. Otherwise the perfect compromise.

Flat Six Fix and RMONTY like this.