Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 39 Ford Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mickeyc, Jul 4, 2020.

1. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello everyone. Mick here. Happy4th to all.
    I am considering the purchase of a 39 Ford sedan that is definitely
    a 39 body. However it has 40 headlight covers and
    I assume buckets ect. The car is a deluxe model
    with correct hood and grill. Turn signals have been
    added. I would think perhaps the conversion was
    made to facilitate the indicator lights in the 40 covers.
    Question, is this a matter of just swapping the light
    components to return to the 39 headlights? I think
    the 40 covers look a little awkward on the 39.
    Thanks for any information passed along.

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

not an expert, but considering 40 is the first year for sealed beam headlights, and 39 still the old bulb and reflector i would have to guess the bucket is quite different.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Actual 39 front fenders are rare and hard to find. There is a difference. I have had numerous 39s and 40s and have only seen a handful of 39 fronts. The way to tell the difference is to lay a straight edge from the grille to headlight and look at the gap between the fender and straight edge A 39 will be about 5/8 of an inch and a 40 will be perhaps an 1/8 or so. Most 39s i have seen and had were with 40 fenders. I never understood Henrys thinking on this, as frugal as he was, why 2 differant fenders unless he had 2 vendors making them. As far as your question i believe just get 39 buckets and install them. the lighting will not be as good as a seal beam but looks better. I have modified 39 buckets by cutting the lip all the way around and move the bucket back 2 inches and filling in the space with 20 gauge sheet metal and installing, say a 55 chevy adjuster. Its a pain in the butt to do but you get a seal beam shine and still have the 39 look.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Changing to seal beams was very common. Who knows exactly how that specific person did it. You won't know till you take it apart what it takes to go backwards, probably just parts change over. I wouldn't let that sour a deal on the Car.

5. flathead1940

flathead1940
    from fresno

I also like the looks of the 39 deluxe with stock headlights. I just looked up on Bob Drakes ford parts website and he has everything you need. No worries about not be bright enough because his kit will come with halogen bulbs which are super bright. Be best to call to make sure you’re getting want you want. They probably can help you if you have 39 or 40 fenders

olscrounger likes this.
  6. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thanks for the input guys. The better lighting is a
    factor I did not take into account. The 39 has been
    converted to 12 volt. The change may have been made to facilitate sealed beams. Not a deal breaker for me,
    but I do prefer the 39 lights regarding appearance.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The headlight buckets bolt in the same way on both the 39 and the 40. My coupe was a 39 deluxe and I had 40 headlights in that car

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Halogens have too much blue light and will blind the on coming driver...

rusty valley and stillrunners like this.