Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When a stash of HAMB friendly cars is found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Jul 2, 2020.

1. toml24

toml24

Today, as I riding shotgun with my sister when we departed an office building, I discovered a remarkable stash of HAMB friendly cars parked at a house. The cars were off the street and basically on the front lawn and wrapped around all sides of the house. My issue is what is considered an invasion of privacy and poor judgement if I start snapping photos and post here on the HAMB? We have here is a public street in a major suburban housing tract and cars in full view, in Southern California, and the owner most likely knows nothing of the HAMB. I have an issue with violating the owners right to hide in plain sight. For the record the cars were a 1957 chevy, a early 1940's something, and I never got a good view of the 3rd car. The view of all the cars was outstanding!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Good idea not to post. I do get photos and videos of my cars all the time from people. I don't mind but some people do.
    Had a lady shooting video going down instate of mine and a friends car. Lucky she wasn't driving. lol.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  3. Poor judgement would be taking pictures of anything of mine when it's sitting on my property. I also consider drones just a different form of clay pigeons.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the old days people went up and knocked on the door. I don't know what they do now.

egads, tractorguy, 56don and 12 others like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Kudos for being respectful.

6inarow and bchctybob like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Anything that is visible from the street is legal to photo

7. Same with Google Earth and Street-View too.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I just went through this issue myself and my wonderful ex employer. 35 years of service , I’m off work because of a neck fusion surgery , they refused to pay me one penny of sick pay .While fighting with them , I notice a car sitting across the road from my place . I live in rural area , strange for a car to be parked on the side of the road . I cut through the woods to see what the hell is up after 3 days . Come to find out it’s a private detective paid to follow and take photos of me . So I head him the on his way . I contact an attorney and start the legal process of battling for my benefit pay . The legal answer to this is anything including you that is in plain view of the street is legal to photograph including you . The issue arises when you are inside your private home or garage , even with a garage door open , if you are inside pointing a gun at someone they are not allowed to legally photograph you and use it against you in a court of law . My employer spent 27K to have 2 people follow me for 3 days 2 different times . The only thing they photographed me doing was , I left my house and drove 30 miles to a place that serves food , was inside for 33 minutes and returned home . I never left my house any other time , and I had a visible neck brace on at the time . But the 27 K could not have used to pay my sick pay . What a joke that company his become , I’m thankful I retired and my life is no longer effected by them . So just think , about what you think your privacy really is .

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

‘Legal’ and ‘Ethical’ or ‘Respectful’ are very often different things. Legality is not the only valid measure of one’s actions.

Ray

40FORDPU, 6inarow, egads and 12 others like this.
  10. chopped

chopped

There are a number of posts loaded with pics taken of cars on some ones property, the horse has long ago left the barn.

chryslerfan55, MO54Frank and Tman like this.
  11. adam401

adam401

I have cars out and antique farm equipment and antique buses all in plain view. My favorite thing when I was a kid in the car was scanning the passing scenery for antique cars and trucks. Ive got no problem with looky loos and picture takers.

12. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There is no respect or ethics any longer , in the practice of law or otherwise , its "me first" and "just win" , like " do onto them before they do onto you"

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you never know, maybe if you drive your old car over there and knock on the door, you just might make a new friend.....

14. indyjps

indyjps

Sorry to hear of youre issues, hope it resolves quickly.
    I saw the other side of that. One of my neighbors had been on long term disability from the railroad for multuple back injuries. They got a month worth of pictures of him remodeling his house. The pics of him carrying shingles 2 bundles at a time up a ladder sealed the deal. Benefits were gone.

If you think you have investigators on you, covert to a nudist. Let them go thru pics of bare ass and swinging sack.

15. With all the bullshit going on today the most I would do is mail them a letter.

I’m guessing theses cars weren’t ever lost or misplaced, nor there whereabouts ever unknown- therefore nothing was “FOUND”.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My cousin's wife was out on disability, seems her employers insurance co sent an investigator to take photos. When he noticed the guy taking photos of his 14 year old daughter he took his tractor and turned the investigators car over.

17. Is the stash three cars or a bunch of cars?

18. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Anything that is visible from the street is legal to photo "

That is how it works here too.

I used to buy lots of foreclosures and always take a picture of each residence so I could keep them straight when I went to the auctions. got chased a couple of times and got the police called a few times on me.

One time when the sheriff came out to do the auction he asked me to see the house at such and such address. Showed him and then he gets a silly grin on his face and told me they called and complained that I was taking a picture of their house and when he gave my vehicle description the cop knew it was me. We just laughed.

Only time I don't take pictures is when little kids are present and out front playing. Otherwise doesn't matter what else is there, old cars or whatever as long as I don't cross the sidewalk to take the pictures I am in compliance with our ordinance here.

If you don't want pictures taken of certain items then don't park them in street view.

I also have found some of my cars on the web that were taken by other people without my knowledge.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I read the first post, I thought the guy had rode by Mark Moriarity's house, then I seen he was in a different state. Maybe Mark has a twin he hasn't told us about? :D:D:D

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

all my stuff is indoors.....

chryslerfan55, scotty t and bowie like this.
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I only post pictures of HAMB friendly vehicles after talking to the owner and I know they are not for sale or priced where I won't be buying them or I have already bought something. It all starts with a knock on the door.

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

But we've seen pics of it all out in the yard before!

seb fontana and Moriarity like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

5296301E-44FC-4E0D-AF9E-D437A9AFBB6B.jpeg

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You have to be careful on here or any Internet forum.
    Google just about anything pertaining to an old car and the HAMB will come up.
    It’s almost as easy, sometimes easier to use Google rather than the HAMB search feature.
    A few years ago a guy posted about a large estate with a sizable car collection. He posted the location. Low and behold not long after things started to disappear.

Then there was the guy in Florida whose ‘32 disappeared.... That one was a very convoluted story.
    Whoever got that one was pro and not your average Meth/Crackhead scrap thief. A pro will only get what he is after and not vandalize.
    Unfortunately this all came back on the owner.

In short don’t spill your guts and definitely don’t give you or others peoples exact location on a public forum.

25. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

All this is the reason why that when you Google earth my address,the photo is fuzzed out.
    My convertible was in the driveway when they took the photo and people don,t need to know what cars are at a certain address

26. We have entire threads devoted to car spotting. Taking a casual pic of something parked in public is not a big deal.

27. I agree, just don't post the address, city or state. HRP

jim snow and Tman like this.
  28. toml24

toml24

Having also done a Google Earth search, this property could be called a "Vintage Car Castle". An incredible number of vintage tin not visible from the street. Whoever the owner is they must be well known with other car guys and NOT the neighborhood gadfly.

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what you can legally do and what you should do are two different things here.

6inarow, b-body-bob, egads and 3 others like this.
  30. Welp, it seems a mission to try to meet the owner is needed.

egads and bchctybob like this.