Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Weatherstrip glue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charter, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Charter

Charter

How can I remove weather strip glue with out damaging the paint ?

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

AC3865C0-DCA4-4F25-A5D1-3F343D87C4DA.jpeg I have used wax and grease remover with success

Johnny Gee and KoolKat-57 like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I still have 1 gallon can from the 80's. Can't buy it here in California any longer according to a few people I've mentioned it to.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd try rubbing alcohol first. I've had good luck taking duct tape adhesive off plastic dash pieces with it.. soak a rag with it and rub. The guy who had the car my wife drives now had duct taped the old glove box in place with about half a roll of tape and it took some work to get it cleaned up.

I've used Goo Gone but to me the alcohol works just as welland maybe better.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how in the hell can they paint cars in Cali with no wax and grease remover???

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

They told me they use what ever it is that's compliant. Also said it's junk. This is why I don't do anything dealing with primer and or paint. I'm unwilling to keep up with new methods.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

My Grandson just removed a Dealer Sticker from his car. The glue under the sticker left a nasty residue. A product called Goo Gone left to soak for about 5 minutes and the old glue residue came right off.

8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Another one is goof off.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can't say whether it works on weatherstrip adhesive but it seems to work on most decals, labels, tape and other odds/ends, get the large can, you will use it more than you realize.

20200702_142331.jpg

10. carbon tetrachloride, poison...
    Acetone, be very careful
    Goof off, don't scrub too hard

11. orangeblood

orangeblood
    from Texas

Goo Gone = kerosene / methyl ether
    Goof Off = kerosene / acetone / xylene

goof off is more aggressive

12. verde742

verde742

they say WD-40

bchctybob and King ford like this.
  13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We use wine.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings verde!..I have used WD40/CRC5-56. ....works pretty good!

bchctybob likes this.
  15. Charter

Charter

Thank you. I will try a few of these. I believe the door seals are 1957 originals. Very brittle and sticky underneath. Previous owner taped up the seals then painted the jams. Not how I would have done it , but anyway with new D Carpenter seals it should look fine.

16. 2manycars2littletime

2manycars2littletime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best product I've ever used for removing adhesives, sealant, grease and glass bedding compound is Ardez 6209 Spot Remover and Body Prep.

It's ingredients include Naptha, Napthalene, Benzene, Toluene and Ethylbenzene, so follow all the manufacturer's usage directions.
    Here's a link to the SDS: http://ardexlabs.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/6209-Spot-Remover-v1.0.pdf

I found it listed for sale here, but they add a $50 Hazardous Material shipping surcharge:
    https://www.miamicorp.com/Default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=VT6209

I get mine from a local automotive & marine paint supplier.

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I bought a gallon of wax and grease remover last year here in Ca. It wasn’t Acryliclean, but it smells and works the same. I’m gonna need more so I’d better go check. I recently used Duplicolor brand wax and grease remover, it’s soy based (huh?) and soapy but it seems to work.
    I (reluctantly) use WD40 to remove adhesive residue from gloss painted surfaces. I’m not sure if it would screw things up if you ever had to touch up the paint but it works.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. 54vicky

54vicky

I have used wd40 and kerosene with good success patience is one thing that is a main ingredient.

19. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have always used TURPENTINE as wax & Grease remover, works well no damage to paint and will remove glue or any other substance without harming the paint , fresh rustoleum doe's not like turpentine though, in California Air Quality Board frowns on turpentine , because it is 100% natural from pine trees and exceeds their VOC guidelines . ( VOC = Volatile Organic Compound ) but they use Pine Sol to clean the Bathrooms in Their offices = same ingredients. go figure that one out ? I started using Turpentine while prepping New Vans for a Custom Painter back in the 80's as the New Car Dealers often used Hardshell wax which was buffed in to the finish , and nothing we tried would completely remove it , the fisheyes were terrible until My Dad mentioned Turpentine , I have always used it ever since , to pre-wash before sanding and again before primer or paint , works great .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    2manycars2littletime likes this.