Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Time to let go of that coveted/rare part

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40FORDPU, Mar 29, 2020.

1. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

what a mess i’ve accumulated.
    but i’m slowly chipping away at it.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There are a couple of ads on CL here that are wanting to buy vintage parts and speed equipment. Be for resell and one wants to keep his eBay store filled. I doubt they would offer anywhere a fair price.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Serious collectors, whether they collect cars, coins, Avon bottles or toothbrushes, pretty much all have the same mentality. My step-father collected rocks, minerals and fossils, Indian artifacts, coins, Avon bottles, stamps and just about everything you could possibly imagine. My mother, with the encouragement of my step-father, collected sheet music, sand in little bottles from all over the world and stuff you can't possibly imagine. They both subscribed to magazines relating to each collection. In this day and age, they would probably be labeled as hoarders. My step-father traded and bought rocks and fossils with people all over the world. Almost every Friday morning, he would make the trip to the post office and pick up a large heavy box from a fellow collector from any one of the other continents. When he got home, he carefully went through the box's contents, picking out the specimens he wanted and replacing them with specimens that the sender was interested in. These guys weren't interested so much in what the rocks or fossils were worth, but having something rare or different. When my step-father died, he had 26 tons of museum quality display rocks plus several more tons of the material that he kept around with the idea of opening a rock shop when he retired. I know he had that much because I was called on to help move it several times. My mother wouldn't hear of trying to sell of the collection and when she died, I was left with the problem as I was the executor. We had a very short time to sell her house and remove everything. We tried a garage sale but it was just wasted time. Eventually, we kept a small pile of things we knew the history of and most of the rest made the trip to the local landfill. I caught hell from the step-daughter and her brothers because they hadn't been allowed the time to pick and choose at their leisure what they wanted. I've been working on thinning out the things I have much more lately with the intention of never getting my children in that situation. The idea that " he who dies with the most toys wins " is total BS.

P.S. Oh yeah, about all those magazines and reference books they had. We had to go through several years of them a page at a time because my step-father had the habit of using T-bills and savings bonds as place markers.

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I do not care about someone else reselling at all. But what drives me bat shit is they do not want to pay a fair price. You get their lowball offers and bullshit stories. It’s not my problem that they want to make a profit. My stuff is worthless until it leaves the driveway and then the value increases. If they cannot be a straighter shooter , I don’t need to waste my time or breath on them. That’s what sours me on flippers.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ever have something to sell that you are totally clueless what it is? Had two pieces of cast iron with a thick wire handle on the back, about the side of a dinner napkin. I told people they were picnic napkin holders, kept them from blowing away in the wind. Guy offered half my asking price, SOLD, I got them at the town dump. Got to look across the isle at the swap meet for the rest of the day at them with his price tag that was double what I was asking. They went home in his truck, not mine. win win. Bob

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Years ago I had a hoard of 67-68 firebird parts. Some rarer stuff too. After walking into the garage for a long time and getting tired of moving stuff to make room for more stuff. It dawned on me that it didn't matter if I owned the rarest firebird ever in existence it didn't mean jack squat if it was in a million pieces scattered all over my garage.

So after coming to realize that I didn't "need" all that crap I kept just enough to finish out my driver and my project car the rest went on to others actually building cars and I got to see many of my pieces go to cars that actually made it to driving status.

I had many friends tell me I was crazy for selling but looking back sure I wish I had some of it back but I don't regret it either.

Thing was I was 28 when I sold it off. So I had the excuse of "maybe someday" but even then I knew better.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you are building cars with aftermarket parts. I can understand getting rid of the hoard. I went to an auction a couple weeks ago just to buy slotted screws. About 40 boxes of slotted screws. At 30 cents a piece at hardware stores, I think I did all right.

The37Kid likes this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

I can agree with that, I've heard a few sob stories that turned out to be bullshit, and plenty of people who tell me "there's not enough meat on the bone" for them as if I'm required to sell it to them cheap so they can make a profit.

But if buyers are up-front with me, or aren't trying to get me to sell something I don't want to sell, I really don't care what happens to it if I get my price. I'm much more worried about the guys who have tons of stuff that's going to go right to the dump when they die, or the guys who like to huff and puff "If I don't get my $1500 for this I'll just junk it!" even when a buyer is willing to pay more than scrap price.

There aren't many junkyards left with old stuff in them, we lose some every year, and what is left is getting more picked over by the day. The private collections of projects and parts are more important than ever, and I hate to see them get scrapped by puffed-up owner egos or disinterested inheritors.

Gasser 57 and alanp561 like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've had a lot of neat parts come and go over the years, about the only one I wish I had back was this 327/350 hp (L-79) Nova air cleaner, made a nice wall hanger/ conversation piece.
    Never had the luxury to tie up a lot of money under the heading of collector, mostly just interesting things that were a sure-thing to make extra cash to help fund projects.
    I was offered twice what I paid, now it's worth three times what the guy paid me for it.

20181218_184643.jpg

Lil32 and 41rodderz like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can agree with you on your points.:) But I will say this , if a guys not a sociopath (I have meant a few ):oops: if he/she starts out wanting a few parts and offers a fair price I will probably cut them a great deal on other parts or throw some in. Win /win.

pkhammer and Squablow like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

With shipping prices it is harder to sell big pieces across country.

Squablow likes this.
  12. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have bought a number of entire collections of parts. The families I have dealt with have been very grateful and have become friends. Some of you guys know the story; Dad or Granddad, a lifetime collector/hoarder has passed on and his family is left with the daunting task of of figuring out what to do with it, nobody in the family is interested.
    I want to be honest and up front so I try to help by laying out their 4 options as I see it:
    1) To realize the most money for the family, they need to step up to the plate and clean, organize, label and sell it off at swap meets, flea markets, and on line themselves. Typically NOBODY wants that job. Too much work!
    2) Have an auction. It's a gamble but some of the better parts might bring a good price but much of the rest will sell for pennies on the dollar. Then the auctioneer takes his cut (20-30%) and they get to pay taxes on the proceeds. There have been a couple that have rejected my offer and sent the pile through the auction. They have all wished they took my offer.
    3) Call the scrapper and get scrap value. NO!!!
    4) Sell it to me, take the cash to the bank today and watch me move it all out and sweep the floor before I leave.

Yes, I resell at swap meets and on line and I do it for profit. Given the amount of work it takes I want to make at least enough to make it worth my time and effort. Sometimes it takes years to liquidate a large collection. I maintain a diesel truck, two trailers, pay help and pay for storage. It's a ton of work but I do enjoy what I do and meeting a bunch of cool and kooky people. I feel VERY strongly that each collection I have purchased the family did much better than what they would've done otherwise short of taking on the job of selling it themselves.
    Of course for the lucky ones that have children or grandchildren that are interested, by all means keep it in the family. If you have a neighbor kid that is interested, get him/her in the hobby and give/sell it to them. But if there is nobody you know who wants the stuff when you're no longer around, please do SOMETHING to prevent it from going to the scrapper and being lost forever.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

I'd stand on that at a swap meet to get to Model T & A parts, what is the big deal ? Bob

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D If I could reverse “ hindsight is 20/20” I could be a rich fun loving guy instead off a poor fun loving guy:)

The37Kid likes this.
  15. pkhammer

pkhammer

I have also found that there IS DEMAND for good parts still. Maybe not like it was at one time but at swap meets like Hershey I have guys that watch for my trailer to roll into the gate and practically run to see what goodies I have. If the price is fair, there is demand and buyers are out there. The guys that are trying to become wealthy on every part, then I know why they are not selling, I'm just amazed that they can't figure it out. I see them bringing the same tired crap to every swap meet hoping for a sucker to come along.
    I have heard stories about ebay being dead and nobody is buying??? I have not had that experience as I sell plenty on ebay and on other websites such as the Hamb. Demand is out there and I have no plans to quit buying.

waxhead, BigDogSS and Squablow like this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Used to go to swap meets with a friend who always overpriced his stuff, and offered half of what others wanted for their stuff even if it was priced under market value. Ride home was always the same, should have accepted an offer or offered more on something he planed to buy but never did. Life is getting shorter, it is fun to just hand the guy what he is asking, note his reaction. Bob

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have been off eBay a few years and I don’t miss it at all. Anything I list here , anyone is welcome to make an offer and I have accepted a few times. I am just at the point I want to simplify, so I am more social like to an offer.:D

The37Kid likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

If I was in Virginia still I would invite you over. :)

pkhammer likes this.
  20. pkhammer

pkhammer

LOL! Oregon is a little far from Virginia, but if you were closer, I'd accept! I didn't post what I did to solicit business, just to let guys know that there ARE options. I am certain that there are a number of serious buyers out there, many frequent this site. Some do it as a hobby/sideline and some make a living at it.
    I always think that if there are family members, especially the younger generation that are interested by all means pass on what you have to them. Otherwise seek out a buyer while you are able. Don't leave it up to the heirs to decide your collections fate.
    My best friend's 16 year old nephew loves old cars and he now has in his possession his grandfather's '55 Chevy. He is genuinely interested in this stuff so anytime we come across parts for his car or anything else that strikes his fancy I give it to him if I can.

21. Anybody have a nice pair of Sharp heads for a 8ba they want to give away ?

alanp561 likes this.
  22. This thread is very strange to me (38). My dad (71) has a fair amount of tools and (New/Old) oval track parts stock piled. I am so glad and proud he does.
    I learned a tremendous amount about cars by studying these parts and asking him questions about how these parts and tools worked.

I look at these tools/parts and parts and see the time he took to amass them, the cars he repaired, and the chassis he built.
    Some these parts were bought at swapmeets when I was still small enough to be carried on his shoulders. Sometimes I would be allowed to carry the new treasure back to our space!

I know someday these parts and tools will be mine. A day a dread not because I will have to deal with sorting and selling, but because it will mean I will have lost my teacher, mentor, friend but most importantly my father!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  23. pkhammer

pkhammer

Unfortunately many people either don't have kids (like me) or if they do, they don't care about Dad's "junk".
    I went to an auction at a storage facility a few years ago that advertised "Ford parts collection". Lifetime collector of hot rod parts had passed on and the kids put his "junk" into storage so they could sell the house. They didn't care enough to pay the rent so the storage facility auctioned the five packed units full of old flathead and banger speed parts, banjo steering wheels, '32 grille shells, posi rears, superchargers, 427 FE parts, lathes, mills and machinists tools. Five units (4 singles and 1 double) was packed so tight you could not see what was in there. Total for everything went for under $8k and I'll bet there was $50k worth of stuff hauled out of there. Family got zippo. They thought it was junk.
    True story.

Tman and The37Kid like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^ Pickers dream! Bob

25. That is awesome! His asshole family got what they deserved.

The37Kid likes this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure the same deal goes with old books & furniture. It is good to develop some knowledge in things other than Vintage cars. Bob

Tman likes this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:cool: Knowledge is key.

The37Kid likes this.
  28. GuyW

GuyW

Personally, I need an overhead valve conversion head for my Model B banger...

29. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sell now. I eBay most of the stuff I'm getting rid of. Price it right, and it will sell.
    If a friend or family member needs a part, they know my stash is open to them for free.

pkhammer likes this.
  30. RT468

RT468

Coveted is kind of a broad term. I had an uncle that got in to 49-50 4dr Chevys. 1 drivable. The other in worse shape all apart. Had a lot of receipts for fresh machine work on what I think was a 216 all unassembled and a lot of new parts along with misc parts he spent the time to over restore for what they were. He died and his landlord of something like 15yrs gave us less than a week after a fairly decent snowstorm to empty out the house and the garage. He obviously held these cars in high regards but in the end the sale of the best car and parts barely put a dent in his burial. Of all his kids nobody had any mechanical inclinations or money to assist with his burial.
    His older brother survived him by a few years. He had an odd taste in cars from the word go as well. He had his fathers,my grandfather's Ford that he was kind if modifying to look like an early AMT model. The car even in stock form wasn't worth much. He kept it because it was his father's and began modifying it to his tastes. His son,my cousin now has it for the same reason even though it doesn't run and has been sitting since his death. Prior to that he threw a lot of money in to a bored out Chevy 6 that was supposed to put out like 320-340hp. It still sits on a stand in a shed after the OT late 70s Chevy he put it in got hit parked in front of his house and totalled. His son has that sitting too because it meant something to his father. Built so long ago nobody knows what was done to it and probably unknown if it would turn over.
    Had an acquaintance of my BIL I met maybe a dozen times over 2-3yrs. Pontiac guy from way back. Knowledgeable about a lot of things without being a know it all. Had what at one time would have been considered the holy grail of desirable factory and speed parts. Life and time caught up with him and his storage shed. He openly admitted he should have take time and inventory his parts last time I actually spoke with him. His wife passed,him shortly thereafter. His stepson was overwhelmed with the suddenness of it all along with no time or interest in car parts was content with cleaning out anything left as quickly as possible as he had a buyer for the house. I ended up with a fair amount of parts that I'm sure the previous owner held in high regards and would love to know the history behind. None of it usable as is,some maybe not at all,some has already been culled out and scrapped. So from that I've learned other than some of my guns I dont stockpile items that I dont use daily. Anything of value to me I have expressed as such to my kids or close friends. If they care they'll divvy them up amongst themselves depending upon interest or fairness. If no interest they'll at least know monetarily to check out current values before selling. I've told the wife I'd haunt her for the rest of her natural existence if she turned my stuff in for one of those feel good political buyback offers that come around every so often.