Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2020 Banger Meet Thread - So Four So Good***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , we all know your a speed freak . i used to be one also (drag racer) . but as we get older , we dont want to work on them so much . actually , it is because we cant . when i first got this motor , i did run the crap out of it (power was amazing compared to stock) . the 5 speed was my best improvement ..

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i really like this car ............. F H DIGGER.jpg

Jet96, Old Dawg, v8flat44 and 3 others like this.
  3. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Recently installed my high compression head and thinking about replacing my stock muffler for something else for a bit louder and non stock hot rod sound. Anyone running with something other than stock mufflers? How about straight pipes or is that too loud? Could the change create negative effect on engine performance? Thanks. Still learning this stuff as I go.

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

straight is loud & annoying . im running a reds 4-1 ..... 12" porter muffler , a Y after the porter , dual exhaust at the Y . not bad inside , outside depends on how close i am to a rebound surface .
    tried glasspacks , burn out in a short time . not alot of room to hide the exhaust . ,, be safe

Old Dawg likes this.
  5. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Appreciate the info and will maybe look into a smaller muffler. Still using stock manifold.

6. Hank56

Hank56
    from NC

I’m running a straight pipe on my banger powered T rpu...stock manifold...my stock exhaust and muffler were rusted out so I had a muffler shop bend me a straight pipe...for $25 it was not a bad deal..been running in for over a year like that...it uses to stock exhaust hangers...it is loud and obnoxious but I don’t mind...I plan on switching over to reds headers when I finish my 2 projects I’m working on now and have some spare cash...

7. I have an Aries muffler on the Tourer. I like it. Might get another for the Coupe sometimes as that's a bit too boomy for my liking.

Hank56 likes this.
  8. PhredH

PhredH

Lion Head/Stipe 340 cam/Stock exhaust manifold with straight pipe out the back: a bit tractor (ish) and loud. Put a short cherry bomb glass pack on it and it took some of the edge off, ran that way for years.

Recently installed Scalded Dog "Y" manifolds with two straight pipes out the back, same head and cam, turned the tractor sound into bit Harley (ish).

Later, changed to Isky 1007 cam grind. My Goodness!!:) no more tractor, more Harley, and very loud.
    Loud pipes save lives, right? Might add a couple shorty mufflers in the off season.

Peace, Phred

Dustyp489 and Jet96 like this.
  9. v8flat44

v8flat44

Hmmmm straight 8, or twin 4.....remembering the Packard "Twin Six". Anyhoo that is way kool.....

10. Johnny Nitro

Johnny Nitro
    from Chicago

Running a 12in Brockman mellotones steel pack. I like it. I ran a Porter. Very nice quality, but too quiet.
    As I understand it the stock exhaust wasn’t the bottleneck of the banger. Not much to gain, or lose changing to headers.

11. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Reds 4 into 2, JDM Y pipe,fx motorsports resonator..gets a little blatty when I lug it...so I don't lug it..header don't add much its true..but they are sexy and the honyockers swoon over it

ratrod40428 likes this.
  12. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

13. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

14. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I had put the cherry boms on my 31 with red 4 to 2 header and full exhaust, the cracking noise Idid not make it out the lane .

15. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still bangering, just smaller. Hope everyone is staying safe. D6B91064-677E-41A7-A056-57A1DEB3E53D.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96 and waxhead like this.