Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 Ford/ New member

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeatherLunger, Jun 27, 2020.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

FYI, Wheelsmiths wheels WILL NOT accept any hubcaps outside of their own manufacture.
    I’m not sure how Vintiques operates.
    Look at the 80th anniversary of the 40 Ford thread, many many photos of tire and wheel combos to gaze upon.

2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

loudbang and LeatherLunger like this.
  3. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Not so sure about whitewalls on it ( just not my thing) but a rim swap would do wonders. And that modern suspension, well, just dont tell anyone about it and enjoy the car. Looks like a great ride

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice looking car and glad to see you getting it out into circulation again! Welcome

7. Welcome aboard! Sounds like you got things right. Good luck with that fine 37.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

8. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Well with the expertise and help from this group, we got the wheel and tire combo narrowed down. My father in law likes these.

IMG_7137.JPG

I would definately have them color matched. We have a family member in the powder coating biz so im thinking it should be doable.

Would these wheels be gennies? Would i order them with the chrome outer and unfinished center to get them fineshed?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jim Bouchard and nor6304 like this.
  9. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Or would you just order a naked wheel and have the whole thing powder coated and add the caps and rings?

10. Wide fives in this color.
    ebay682287.jpg

LeatherLunger likes this.
  11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Order them bare, then powder coat .

12. Is that a painting?!

40640fa666b55a32f996fb2d161000d0.jpg

13. Colorised

sgtlethargic likes this.
  14. I'd love to see the original picture.

Was she an actress?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Tman and sgtlethargic like this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I don’t think so....
    From that angle she favors Rita Hayworth. Rita Hayworth would have been a little older and far far above a HRM shoot in ‘53.

loudbang likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

If it was me I'd measure the current wheels and use those offsets for ordering the new ones. If you find the fronts are just scraping the fenders, maybe order a narrower wheel with the inside spacing the same and more clearance on the outside. Replacing the 14's with some 15's will give you more tire choices, and it's really rather more traditional to have a skinnier tire on the front. Plenty of tires to choose an outer diameter to give the same finished stance.

I'd get wheels from a manufacturer that can guarantee the stock Ford hubcaps will fit, and I'd probably just use a plain steel wheel with no chrome rim. Have your own powdercoating done. Try the caps on them, and if you decide you need more bling you can snap on some trim rings. Personally I'm not a trim ring guy, and once they are installed they are all scraped up and you are stuck.

As for the suspension, I wouldn't change a thing. Works perfectly and no need to use coilovers in there. If you absolutely think you need to raise the car, take a current spring to a spring manufacturer and have them make a set with one inch more height. I've never seen coilovers which ride better than regular springs. But I've seen/heard plenty of stories about coilovers leaking and joints squishing out that won't happen with your current stock springs.

LeatherLunger and olscrounger like this.
  18. Black and white.
    Screenshot_20200630-060831.png

19. Jim Bouchard likes this.
  20. After seeing someone on the Photoshop thread say they like the wheels, I think they're okay. If those tires are still good (age), I suggest keeping the wheels, getting the car reliable, and taking your time figuring out other wheels and tires.

With the red wheels, there's too much red for me.

loudbang likes this.
  21. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Yeah that sounds like the best route to go down.

22. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Honestly i like the look of the chrome gennies with no caps and whitewalls. We forwarded the photo shop pictures to my fater in law and he liked the red weels with caps and rings the best. Were just trying to get Bertha on the road again to bring him some joy before alzheimers fully takes its course. Doing good by him will mean the most to us at this point. I think any of the traditional wheel choices you guys gave us will work wonders for the look of the ‘37.

23. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

When i was under the car the other day, the trans cooler looked pretty beat up presumably from a high center type situation. Its a rectangular one situated parallel to the frame rail on the passenger side. Would it be more favorable to be hidden up front somewhere for cooling purposes or is it ok to be in its current location? Are there other compact styles and locations of coolers that have worked well for you guys? Also do the finned trans pans really help with cooling? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to play catch up as this is all new to me

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

26. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Hey gents, quick update on the car. Got all the old fuel pumped out, and the trans filter and fluid changed. Hoping to to some fresh gas and a new fuel filter in tomorrow and see if she fires up again for me. Any recommendation on fuel addatives tha you all have used? Also, a copuple of little things i have questions on.

First

It appears the driver door is missing the limiting part for the door on the drivers side causing the door to contact the fender if not controlled. What is this part called and where may i possibly find it? Im prepared to make some thing to match the passenger side just not sure if i might be able to find one

IMG_7150.JPG

Drivers side

IMG_7152.JPG

Passenger side

Also. The hinge mounted mirrors do not stay put on both sides. There are holes in the side of the hing brackets that i was thinking of tapping for a set screw, just was wondering if there is a better alternative.

IMG_7151.JPG

Thanks again

Attached Files:

27. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger

Wow too many Crowns! Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling! I dont know how to edit my post

28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those should already be tapped for a set screw.

LeatherLunger and loudbang like this.
  29. LeatherLunger

LeatherLunger