Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Exhaust pipes like that were a thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OahuEli, ccain, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Damn. Well hell. I'd like to think I've been around the block a few times but I never heard of belly burners until I was today years old. :D I mean, I've seen similar pipes, like on the Kookie T, but didn't know what they were called. And I've never seen them on an F-100 like mine.

I mean, I can see how they got their name. Y'ouch.

Thanks guys!!!

You know, it might be great fun to run a set of these off cutouts before the muffler and a add a set of ignitors for an awesome 007/James Bond way of flambé-ing tailgaters. :D Other than that, all I see are a stack of moving violations. Because I can't control myself. :p

Anyway, I did a search and found this thread on the subject:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/belly-burner-exhaust-lets-discuss.1085398/

Pretty damned neat. I have apparently been living under a rock. :oops:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. I've been hammering away at getting this interior back to looking less like a boudoir.
    But, in the midst of putzin' around the shop, I got some incredible news.

I'm going to be a GRANDAD!!!

So, I guess I'm going to have to be looking more toward safety and all that other happy jazz. So, if any of you guys have any ideas on how to add child safety restraints to an old pickup or know of a kit, lemmie know. :cool:

Also, babysitting is going to probably be happening a lot in the shop, so I guess I'm gonna have to do some cleanup around here. Do they make Carhartt onesies? Because, Junior is going to be getting his or her hands dirty. :D

So, I ripped off the old door panels and found "okay" doors. They have a shit ton of screw holes drilled in them. Lots of metal boogers have to be smeared into them before they'll look right, so for the interim, I'm gonna be making door cards, dressed in red vinyl. I'll deal with it all when I finally get to a point where I start body work.

At least the PO had the wherewithal to NOT cut speaker holes or holes for power window switches into the door...

[​IMG]

Here's what tearing down a bordello looks like:

[​IMG]

That door panel looks shocked. :eek: Probably because it's naked. :rolleyes::D

Oh, by the way, have I told you guys that I'm going to be a Grandad? :D lol

[​IMG]

Oh my god, where do I start? The doors are solid but F'd up a little, just like Grandad. :D

The power window BS (I'm gathering parts to put the vent windows and roll up windows back in.)
    is held in with some janky-ass aluminum bit that looks like it's from a woodworking tool.

The window guide is rusted to beat hell, and the motors are so weak the windows take like an hour to roll up. They drop down easy enough but the rollup is excruciating. Gonna grease the hell out of 'em and hope for the best.

Also, I sourced some power window switches that are right on the cusp of not being HAMB friendly. Early enough that they could have shown up on a custom truck, circa '63 ish.

But, again all of this is temporary and will be addressed later when I get all the internals for the door.

Side Note: While doing research, I was unaware that power windows date back to the 30's, maybe even further. I'd actually like more info on luxuries that seem like they shouldn't be as old as they are. Not that I'm interested in adding anything like that to the truck, but it would be nice to know what stuff we consider complace today were available to the average, salvage yard hunting, hot rodder in the 50's/60's. I dunno, I'm just talking out my ass. Might be a good idea for a thread. :D

So, if anybody has some window regulators, guides, and so on, for a 57-60 F-whatever, and you're okay with me being mostly broke because of diapers, Carhartt onesies, and wrenches that fit tiny hands, hook me up. :D

That's where I am today. Stay tuned.

Gonna close with some facts that will blow your mind:
    You've never seen your neighbors bring in groceries. And, you can't remember who taught you to use toenail clippers. Digest that for a while. :D

Talk to y'all in a bit. Have fun and stay safe!

hehehe... GRANDAD!!!

41 GMC K-18, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ccain,

Congrats on the impending grandfatherhood! You are going to love it! It's amazing how much cuteness and wonderfulness (is that a word?) oozes out of those little buggers! I have two granddaughters, 7 and 4, each with their own amazing personality and I cannot believe how much they changed my heart. You are on the verge of the best ride of your life - hang on brother!

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Congratulations Grandpa!

You need these, car seat anchors, 3 of them, I found them in the auto parts store $3 each.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chavezk21, OahuEli, brEad and 3 others like this.
  6. Thank you!

It's been less than 24 hours since I found out and I've already bought a bunch of baby stuff, toys, diapers... It's insane. I love it!

I'm gonna go ahead and say that someone is going to be getting a kickass pedal car! I've been wanting to build one of those for years! Now I have an excuse other than being an overgrown child myself. :D:D:D

Perfect! Thank you! I'm on it. ;)

I do have some sad news. Looks like my old pupper is going to be losing her seat in the truck from time to time. And that's okay. :cool:

loudbang, Thor1 and fauj like this.
  7. Okay. I got the door panels hammered out. Like they say "if you can't make it, fake it.".

I'm gonna be tearing this thing down in the near future to do the bodywork but, it's gonna be awhile before I get to the point where I can address these doors the right way.

So, for now, figured I'd mimic the factory door rather than having just one giant sheet of red vinyl on a flat sheet of card.

The placement of all the stamped details of the door were measured and layed out in card (masonite).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got out all the weight I could find to clamp down everything while the glue dried.

[​IMG]

Test fit. Power window switches are going in that rectangular hole at the front of the panel. Kind of a weird placement, I know, but it keeps me from having to chop any more holes in the door because the hinge cover opens up to this nice cavernous hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finito. The camera on my phone hates red. Blows it up. They look way off, but they match the door real close to the naked eye.

[​IMG]

Ahhh... that's better. Starting to look like a truck. Just gotta ditch that old brown couch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't cut the vinyl away from the power window switch holes just yet.

Well, that's it for today. Got a nice glass of scotch waitin' on me inside.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    Just Gary, OahuEli, fiftyv8 and 4 others like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

Don't use grease on the window rubber tracks. Silicone spray works better and no mess.

OahuEli, Thor1 and ccain like this.
  9. Thanks. Will do... I mean... won't do. :D :cool:

Okay, I had just enough left over vinyl to do the kick panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignore the red wire. It's part of the power window circuit I'm still working on.
    Oh, and try to ignore the baby turd brown carpet. It's going away. ;)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ccain,

The door panels and kick panels look great!

11. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Making good progress!

Devin

Thor1, loudbang and ccain like this.
  12. Thanks, guys!

Today was productive.

Power window switches showed up the same day I won an auction for parts to put vent windows and wind-up door glass back into this truck. So, all of this temporary because I'll need to make new door cards. But that's fine by me. I'm still collecting parts, so... could be a week, could be a year... who knows?

But, I think they look tons better than the foreign car switches that were in there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, my other mirror showed up today. Man this thing is neat. The box looks like I feel but it's super cool. Love the graphics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now both are installed and I love 'em. And I can see behind me now, which is nice. :D

[​IMG]

Just Gary, Ford52PU, brEad and 5 others like this.
  13. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ccain,

The mirrors look great.

loudbang and ccain like this.
  14. rdemilt

rdemilt
    from so florida

ccain - Im more of a looker around here than a poster but I really enjoyed reading what you've done, your motor detail looks great and I'll probably copy your idea on the door panels as mine look the same as yours behind the current cheesy panel i have. Your story of Marvin reminds me of when I was a kid, I got a job at a small machine shop / speed shop in town sweeping floors after school. Didn't know a chevy engine from a ford back then. The owner was a great guy, he taught me a lot about cars, life, and how to be a good person, Ive had some great cars since then but sadly he passed away and never got to see how he influenced me.

ccain, Thor1, fauj and 2 others like this.
  15. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

redemilt,

Somehow I expect your friend knew exactly how much he influenced you. You mentioned that he was a great guy that taught you about life and how to be a good person...I'm pretty sure he saw you growing and changing while you two were together and knew that he'd left his mark on you.

You were blessed to have him in your life. A lot of guys didn't have a good role model in their life as they were coming up and as a result they are not very good people.

brEad, ccain, fiftyv8 and 2 others like this.
  16. Thor is right, rdemilt. Guys like Marvin and your mentor can see how you COULD turn out and give you the tools you need to make sure you don't turn out that way.

Hell, If I've been half the influence on my kids that Marvin was to me, then these kids are going to be just fine.

--

Okay, well I dove in deep this weekend. Hard to believe it's over already, I was just gettin' started. But anyway...

I got the (now temporary) power windows wired up. I wasn't about to shell out the $30 a piece they wanted for the chincy, plastic plugs for these switches AND I was bored. I mean, I probably could have gotten them cheaper but I only looked at the same source I got the switches from and I'm lazy. So...

Anyway, I used an old trick I was taught years ago and made up a set of plugs/harnesses.

First, you use something to make an area where the epoxy will release from your switch. (I used a layer of tinfoil pushed over the lugs and a tiny bit of petroleum jelly at the base of each pin.) Then, connect the barrel connectors to the switch and make a dam around them with cardboard. (I use hot glue to hold the mold in place.)

[​IMG]

Then, just mix up your two part epoxy (I added black dye to the mix) and pour it in the dams you've just made. Let it kick and Bob's yer uncle... you've got yourself some tailor made... let's call them "artisan" (like the bread) connectors. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They ain't pretty, but they'll get the job done.

Then, you solder each connection and encase the whole works in more epoxy. Wrap everything up and presto-chango, one set of homegrown harnesses.

[​IMG]

Granted, these are military grade in that they are chunky and overbuilt but, they're engineered to put the plug exactly where I need it without any pinching or chafing concerns. Plus, they're not going to vibrate loose or anything.

Oh, and do the fellow down the road a solid, and use different color wires for the circuits when you build this kind of stuff. I can't tell you how many issues I've tried to track down only to find that the person before me used all red or all black wire for every damned circuit. :mad: And don't even get me started on how to cut zip ties. Some of you are animals! But, I digress. :D

Anyway, while I was in there, I found out why the motors were so slow. The motors on BOTH SIDES were NEVER mounted on the lower brackets that were obviously fabricated for only them.

When you'd hit the switch the whole damned window trolly would flex and bind. So, I fixed that and, along with fresh wiring and good clean grounds, these windows leap open and closed.

Pretty badass considering I'm gonna be ripping it all out in a couple weeks... or whenever to put the manual regulators and vent windows back in. :confused:

I also ripped out the turd brown rug. I was able to remove the jute backing in one piece so I will be reusing that. I was pretty happy to find the floors intact and NOT patched with license plates, roof flashing, and Liquid Nails. :p Been there, done that. Bleck. :eek:

There was some surface rust on the floors in the corners so I wire brushed the crap away, gave it a quick sanding and got out my Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint and doped 'em up real good. (I like it better than POR-15. 'Gives you a more dizzying high with only half the headache and aftertaste. :p hahaha,)

Please use proper ventilation! When you start to hear Jimi Hendrix, sawing on his right handed axe, and you know for a fact the radio in the shop is busted, open a window for Pete's sake. :D:D:D

[​IMG]

I'm still cleaning all this mess up. I need to scrape and clean up a bit more before the new carpet goes down, but overall, I've seen worse.

I'm not quite sure what's going on there in the center. Looks like someone, back in the day, got happy with the sawzall and hacked out a shifter hole, then someone came back and stitched it closed with thin metal and welds only a '70s AMC assembly-line worker could love.

Also, it looks like the master cylinder had leaked out the back at one point and lifted the paint on the inside of the firewall, so I'm gonna clean all of that up too.

I did a quick test fit of some carpet I'm considering using. We'll see. I'm not sold just yet. Once again, my phone's camera does crazy things to the color red, especially under my LED shop lights. These colors don't look all over the place in real life like they do in digital form, but the carpet is a bit dark and cranberry-like compared. I dunno, we'll see.

[​IMG]

Moving on. I've been looking at upholstery. Holy hell that has been frustrating. To make matters worse, just when I thought I was done, and had picked out a nice cover set, I find that this seat frame is not right for the truck. I kept looking at it and looking at it and something just wasn't right. Turns out, this damned seat frame is from a '53-'56 F series truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean, it fits well, aside from the fact that it had been installed offset to the passenger side by about 2 inches. :rolleyes: Meth must be a hell of a drug.

So, I'm going to be keeping this seat frame and recovering it with a nice channel pleated, red upholstery set I found online. And, of course, I will be mounting it centered to the cab.

Also, the lap belts the PO installed would have worked real well in a collision considering they were bolted through the floor and fastened using only a lock washer on the back side. They would have torn that old assed sheet metal and plinked right outta the floor under the slightest load. It's always good to find stuff like that BEFORE it kills you. :D

So, that's where I am tonight. I weary, I'm exhausted, and I've lost the will to fight. If the wife wants anything more outta me tonight, she's gonna have to do the heavy lifting. ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  17. loudbang

loudbang

Breath deeply several times OUTSIDE. :)

Unique Rustorations, ccain and Thor1 like this.
  18. The wind wasn't just whispering Mary. :p

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yep, made similar plugs for my F100 when doing power windows.
    It is a great trick taught to me by some other HAMB member several years back.
    Keep up the good work.

Thor1, loudbang and ccain like this.
  20. Got a little more done today. I settled on that carpet. I did a little creative cutting and heat-gun work to make it set nice over the small hump. Now that it's in, It looks nice and is a nice contrast with the dash and door panel colors... I think, anyway.

I couldn't find scuff plates for this thing and I can't sew carpet. That carpet's edge is as pretty as my ex-wife's... nevermind.

So, off to the hardware store for some 1" aluminum angle. Bending it against the angle is not easy but not terrible considering I don't have the right tool for this job. And again, It's okay for a driver... I think, anyway. :rolleyes::confused:

Started with some heavy junk I've collected and clamped it down to make a form. I'm calling it the "Atomic Bend-O-Matic 5000".

[​IMG]

I kept bending slowly until I had a shape that fit decent. The tight bend cupped a bit underneath, but I can live with it.

[​IMG]

Kept finessing it until I got it where I wanted then sanded it down with progressive grit sandpaper until I got the finish I was looking for.

[​IMG]

Made some additional trim outta the same stuff and carpeted the inside of the footwell.

It cleaned up well.

[​IMG]

Again, not perfect, but does the job.

Wanna know how much of a cheapskate I am? That carpet is made of two high-traffic, loop pile hallway runners I got from Amazon, $30 each. The aluminum angle was $6, and the marine vinyl was 1/2 off at JoAnne's, and I already had the masonite... so, I'd say right now, I'm into the interior for about $80.

The seat upholstery is where I spent the cash. It's being stitched as we speak, so stay tuned.

[​IMG]

Again, my stupid phone's camera screws with red, but it looks pretty clean. I still have to do the bottoms of the doors and up under the dash, but it's coming together.

PLUS, I'm starting to notice that "new car" smell. When I got her, this ol' girl had her share of smells in the cab, so this is a welcome change. :p

'Took the seat off the adjusters and found that when they mounted the seat (off center, but I'm not bitter) they mounted it with the adjusters like the seat was all the way forward, but the back of the seat was against the back wall of the cab. There was no way to adjust the seat forward or back, so I'm fixing that.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I guess the PO said "F it" when the passenger side adjuster wouldn't lock so he whacked it with a hammer to wedge the track shut. I have since fixed that and cleaned up and painted everything. I'll pack the carrier and slides with... probably white lithium grease so everything moves and works as it should.

Okay, my beer is getting warm. Back to the shop. ;)

Randall, OahuEli, fiftyv8 and 5 others like this.
  21. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ccain,

The work you are doing on your truck looks awesome. Every time you post I see great attention to detail. It also seems like you are really having fun doing the work and that is what it is all about.:cool:

22. I like that interior

loudbang, Thor1, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  23. That interior came out sweet! Well done!

ccain, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Nice work. :)

ccain and Thor1 like this.
  25. Very cool...

loudbang, ccain and Thor1 like this.
  26. Great work! I think a bit of gentle work with a shrinker - stretcher would settle down the bends in the aluminum angle. Wish we were a bit closer and I'd let you use mine.

loudbang, ccain and Thor1 like this.
  27. Thanks, fellas.

And fauj, if we were closer, I'd totally take you up on that and bring over the beverages of your choosing. ;) Thanks!

This old girl needs her vent windows back, along with proper, well fitting, functioning windows that rattle and leak less.

Got lucky and won a couple of internet auctions and got a hell of a deal on some vent window assemblies. I didn't think $23 a piece was a bad deal.

Anyway, they were a little crusty when I got 'em but serviceable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tore 'em down.
    [​IMG]

These are the hard parts that need to be replaced along with some small brass rivets. The passenger side lower pivot (left) was completely gone and the other side was hanging by a small rusted thread. The handle and it's attachment point have been lost to antiquity.
    [​IMG]

Ordered replacement rubber as the old ones were as stiff and rigid as my ex-wife's... nevermind. :D

You're looking at 4 pieces of rubber that cost more to replace than everything I've done inside the truck to date. :mad:
    [​IMG]

There was only one intact latch assembly.
    [​IMG]

It cleaned and buffed pretty decent. Gonna buff on it some more to see if I can get it to do that thing where the buffing wheel grabs it outta my hand and flings it across the shop... again. :D
    [​IMG]

The forward tracks and latch plates (completely made up nomenclature :p) cleaned up okay.
    [​IMG]

Here we see the window frames hanging in my pro-grade, down, up, and sideways draft, UV exposure, paint curing station. EPA and OSHA approved! ;)
    [​IMG]

The stainless parts had stains on them!!! I think a strongly worded letter to Henry Ford is in order! They're only 60 years old! :D

Was able to polish them up a pit. 'Took a while but there are less stains. Maybe I'll set the washing machine to "Heavily Soiled" and use Shout or maybe Clorox next time. I was taught to wash tim parts on "delicate". :p
    [​IMG]

So, here's where they are at right now. 'Waiting for a bunch of little parts, glass, and rubber to show up.
    [​IMG]

Since I scrubbed the Rat Rod off of them, (lol, gonna catch hell for that remark!) they look a lot less crusty... which is always nice. I don't wanna run the risk of infection whenever I need some fresh air. Who else has a gassy dog? Raise your hands. :D:D:D

Might repaint those window frames. Some of the pits are showing through. Maybe a little glazing putty or high-build primer is in order.

Some parts coming today as well. Hell, I'm kinda all over the place right now, what with all of these sub-projects going on.

'Still have to recover the door kick panel with the red carpet, reassemble the seat frame and mock it up in the truck to drill MORE holes in the cab in order to get the seat to set centered (GASP!!! That was a long sentence! But, again... PO, if you're reading this, I'm not bitter. But, I would like to talk to you... with my foot... in an orifice of my choosing.).

Just heard the mailman pull up. :D Gotta run.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    OahuEli, loudbang, fiftyv8 and 4 others like this.
  28. Whelp, I got the seat mounted in there nice and square. The sliders work as smooth as butter. I'm just waiting for upholstery so I can tear it all out again. :D

Something about the way the seat set before just felt... off. I mean, kinda leaned forward like. When I set the sliders in there they actually slanted forward. :eek: So, mystery solved.

[​IMG]

Now, the lift I went with isn't as drastic as in this pic (which was obviously taken during an earthquake or as the wife was hitting me with the broom after she found some parts receipts , I can't remember.)

[​IMG]

I ended up going up a total of 1 1/2 inches in the front and you would not believe the difference it made. It even made the steering wheel feel like it's in a better position.

Oh, and speaking of steering wheel...

**The following post may contain content not suitable for all audiences. Viewer discretion is advised.**

Okay, so since there is no "How to" out there for installing a '59 Fairlane Steering Wheel into a '60 F100, without using a hammer, I figured I'd offer up my solution.

So I won this ePay auction for a real nice '59 Fairlane steering wheel for the sweet-sweet price of 75 buckaroonies plus shipping.

[​IMG]

Nobody had bid on it. I mean, I couldn't NOT buy it for that price, with or without the notion of putting in the old truck.

I get it in the mail and this thing is like incredibly clean... The auction pics did this thing no justice at all!

I mean, I basically polished the horn ring, repainted the inserts, and hit the wheel hard with progressive grits of Meguiar's buffing compound then polishing compound, and smacked it on it's ass and called it finished.

There's a few hairline cracks and one small delaminated area on the back side but other than that... gorgeous.

So, I go to swap it out and couldn't find any of my pullers (all borrowed). I had to make a steering wheel puller out of shop scrap. Worked great. The whole ordeal took an extra hour than it should have, but worked out.

Go to slap the new wheel on the shaft and when I push it on, it bottoms out on the original turn signal housing and there are only like 3 threads for the nut to grab. No bueno.

I'm thinking, "damn..."

'Started beating myself up for not researching, and for assuming that this wheel would just slop on the truck.

Drank a beer, took a hard look and a bunch of measurements and found the issue. The solution, albeit a pretty drastic thing to do to such a nice wheel, was obvious. I had to cut 3/8ths of an inch off the back of this wheel so it would line up in the shaft okay and still clear the turn signal housing.

The original truck wheel:
    [​IMG]

'59 Wheel:
    [​IMG]

After a second beer, my inhibitions had waned and I marked it off and started cutting. What the hell... right?

[​IMG]

I used my jewelers saw and slowly walked around the wheel. It took like 6 or 7 passes of careful hacking but it cut nice and straight.

[​IMG]

And with that, I had enough clearance and the wheel sets on the shaft right where it needs to for the splines to seat. It honestly doesn't really look like I've done anything to the wheel. So, I DO get lucky from time to time, but perfectly good parts have to die in the process. :D

Anyway... I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dresses her up a bit.

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man that looks like it came from the factory like that. Nice!