Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1955.5 Chevy Truck starter issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olebetsy55, Jun 29, 2020.

1. olebetsy55

olebetsy55

Hey all, having troubles with my 55 1/2 3200 starting. Went to go start it the other day and when I depressed the floor stomp button, nothing. I tried a couple times and it started up like normal (but I have never had it do nothing before). Drove it to work and when I left same thing. This time I drove to the shipping store, hopped in, came back out and absolutely NOTHING. No attempt to start, nothing. Depressed the button several times and no attempt to turn over AT ALL. Ended up calling for a tow.

Since, I have tested battery which tested normal. Checked all wiring for corrosion, none found but still cleaned up all connections. I will post a pick of the starter switch on top of the starter when I get home today.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Is it the switch on top of the starter? I believe it is the one terminal starter switch (but again will verify when I get home). If and when it does turn over, starter is as strong as ever so I am really thinking not starter itself but something else.

Thank you in advance.

2. Sounds like a bad connection
    Sticking mechanical solenoid
    Linkage our of adjustment
    Bad ground

If the starter cranks good when it cranks I would look at all those things first

3. KenC

KenC

Battery cables, both on both ends. If clean and bright it has to be the switch. Some of those can be disassembled and contacts cleaned. Voltage drop test can quickly spot the bad connection if needed, but I'd just examine and clean. Also check the cables near the ends for corroded and/or broken strands.

4. olebetsy55

olebetsy55

Thank you. I have checked all connections including ground and all is good. I will check the mechanical solenoid as I feel like that would be the most likely as there is a different feeling with the stomp button from time to time. Thanks

5. I guess all it has is a starter button, a starter motor and a battery, right? so if the lights come on when engine is off and starter won't work I guess you can say the battery is OK. that leaves the starter and the switch, when you push the switch pedal does it go all the way down like it always did? can you test the "output side" of the switch? if so and you have current there, that would leave only one thing, the starter. If you tap on the starter will it crank? I could see a brush getting stuck at times and keeping it from working.

6. olebetsy55

olebetsy55

Update: Battery is new (less than 6 months) and so are both battery cables as I did have corrosion in the old ground wire.

7. sdluck

sdluck

Doesn't mean the battery is any good check voltage first.

8. olebetsy55

olebetsy55

Voltage has been tested and is good

9. olebetsy55

olebetsy55

When you say "switch", are you talking about the floor pedal or the switch mounted on the started that plunges as you press the pedal in?

10. squirrel

squirrel

that's the only switch there is, so I expect he's talking about that one.

What do the headlights do when you try to start it? If they stay bright, then the switch or the starter is not working.

You did check the ground cable from the body to the bellhousing, too I hope.

46international and 1oldtimer like this.
  11. tractorguy

tractorguy

I ran into a very, very similar situation with my 1953 Willys Jeep with 6 volt system. I previously had new battery and a set of beautiful 00 battery cables made. Everything was good for a year. Then one day......nothing....For whatever reason as I was checking connections I grabbed the positive cable going from the solenoid to the starter terminal. The cable was very warm to the touch. That diagnosis led me to high resistance. I figured out that I must have a dead spot on the windings of the starter shaft. I removed and took to a great old school starter place. Turned out that I had a bad wire from one brush grounding ?? against the starter body or end plate.

I am a little rusty in my description without the notes from the shop in front of me. Hope that helps. Have fun

12. You can check to see if it is the starter or the switch, by using a heavy wire and bypass the switch by touching one end of the wire to the starter post, and the other to the battery side of the switch. If the starter motor runs, then it is the switch.
    From what I remember from those switches, they look like an old dimmer switch, and they do wear out.
    Make certain the vehicle is in neutral or park before attempting this procedure. From everything else you have tested, it is the switch or the starter, and the above method will eliminate the switch as the possible culprit.
    Bob

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Take the switch off the starter and file the contact surfaces. The starter doesn't have to be pulled, but you may want to do the brushes & emery the armature while you're at it.

tb33anda3rd, tractorguy and squirrel like this.

14. ^^^^This^^^^^

Try to find a good brand of starter switch if it is bad. I bought 2 recently from eBay, 1 NOS and one NORS (60's aftermarket packaging)......both made in the USA.

15. Yes

16. theboss20

theboss20

One overlooked item is the part of the starter that the switch makes contact with...this angled stud can wear from the arching that occurs every time you start the engine and when that wear happens it changes the ability of the contacts in the switch to touch this stud and pass the current through to the starter. A new switch will be a temporary solution but will eventually fail due to this overlooked issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk