Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever notice when you get one thing fixed something else needs attention.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Earlier this week I finally located the rattle under the car and it was temporarily fixed until I get the new parts to do it correctly, at least the rattle is gone.

Yesterday we got in the sedan to go to the first cruise in this year and the weather was overcast and rather pleasant so I had my window down and Brenda put her hair up and rolled down her window only to here a annoying and rather loud TICK TICK TICK exhaust leak.

I've had been driving around all winter and with the windows up I didn't hear it but with the passenger window down it's loud.

So next week I'll replace the gaskets, what have you guys used? anyone had any experience with the copper gaskets or just stick to the conventional gaskets? HRP

ladyhrp, dana barlow, F-ONE and 6 others like this.
  2. partssaloon

partssaloon

I didn't have any luck with copper gaskets, I've had my best luck with the FelPro ones.

ladyhrp, rockable, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Went for a drive in the T this morning, the fan was making a racket (needs new bushings, and some other stuff to keep oil where it belongs so the bushings will work right). But the other stuff I spent all day yesterday fixing, worked fine.

ladyhrp, dana barlow, Boryca and 7 others like this.
  4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I've got a laundry list of problems to sort out on my O/T Mercedes and a few little things on my O/T vette.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Mr gasket header baskets with SMALL bead of ultra copper high heat silicone .....yea , it works !

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve used both copper and FelPro exhaust gaskets,prefer the latter.
    Sometimes the tic-tic is just a loose header bolt.;)

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

for exhaust manifold leaks, a visit to your local machine shop with the manifold(s) for a trip though the surface grinder can help a lot.

Ray

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got some layered aluminum gaskets I picked up somewhere. I actually split them apart and had enough to do two engines. I have used the copper ones, too, with varying degrees of success. First set I bought worked fine on a ot 85 F150 pickup. Next set were too hard, they never would seal.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The world we live in HRP! I think it was Roseanna Roseannadana that said, "If it isn't one thing it's another!"

10. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya, that's called Hot Roding! :)

ladyhrp, Sandgroper, RMONTY and 4 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Danny, around here that's called the perpetual honey-do list.

ladyhrp, Sandgroper, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  12. 66gmc

66gmc

Yup, fix one minor problem and suddenly a previously trouble free vehicle thinks its entitled or something.

13. redo32

redo32

I wish my rod was making strange noises instead of sitting waiting to be worked on. My 2020 has been septic line plugged, hot water heater leaks, dish washer needs maintenance, bees in the attic and the house needs painting. Not to mention yardwork and the mower is overheating, the big tractor has a broken axle and the hydraulics leak, there are still a couple of trees in the south 40 that need to be cut up for firewood. At least with the covid 19 I'm not missing any events that have been cancelled.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

the problems always give you an excuse to head out to the garage, and put off the honey do list for another day

ladyhrp, nochop, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I seldom go for a drive but what I don't come back with at least one thing that annoys me. It's seldom anything big, just annoying rattles or something not quite like I like it. It's part old cars and part OCD. :D

16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Fitting fenders, hood and other sheet metal, found a leaking axel seal.

17. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I did not build my coupe i traded for it and ever since i have had it there was a small bumping sound when cornering, it was real bad on the deuce run when we were in the mountains. last year i pulled the panel between the trunk and the seat to install new speakers and i found a stubby screwdriver, it was rolling from one side of the car to the other and bumping the inside of the body when I went around corners.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Nope, never noticed that :confused::D

19. You need more cam.:rolleyes: That way you won't here all that crap.:p It's a hot rod it supposed to make noises.;)

20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3W John that reminds me of the Ford 302 engine that was given to me. The guy said he thought the oil pump was going so he pulled the engine and replaced it with another one. I asked how he knew. He told me sometimes going around a corner the oil pressure would drop. Long story short I started to pull it apart and when I pulled the intake there laying in the oil galley was a big old wooden handled screw driver! Seems every time he went around a corner it rolled over and blocked the oil return hole. Put it back together and it ran like a champ!

21. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I think every car has it's on honey do li$t and it will always$ co$t you money$$$$$$

ladyhrp, Sandgroper, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  22. spanners

spanners

I was told years ago by an old boat racer to paint both sides of the copper gaskets with enamel house paint including head gasket and assemble while wet. I haven't tried it but he swore it worked.

23. Try RemFlex. Available from Summit.

Ben

24. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Is that like the saying, without bad luck he would have no luck at all?

ladyhrp, 61Cruiser, GordonC and 3 others like this.
  25. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

26. lake_harley

lake_harley

An older neighbor of mine, who died quite a few years ago, would always say "If you didn't have anything, you wouldn't have any problems". I think of that quite often when I'm having a pity-party because of things breaking down and not going by my plans.

Lynn

ladyhrp, Luke stone, 3W JOHN and 7 others like this.
  27. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Speedo cable started getting noisy and needle fluttering. Pulled dash to check it and found another rats nest of half assed wiring. Guess more wiring is in my future this winter. :(

28. You been in my car?

Ben

29. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yep. Replaced a sticky brake caliper a week ago. Still not finished fixing the brake system.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done some wiring on my cars that even any self-respecting rat wouldn't nest in:eek: