Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New Magazine introduced July 11

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordors, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Fordors

Fordors

View attachment 4736455

Tim Foss and Brian Brennan will be introducing Modern Rodding at Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank, CA.
    Brennan and Rob Fortier will be responsible for editorial content that will feature hot rods and muscle cars. I’ll buy the first issue and see if it’s to my liking.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
    lumpy 63, fauj, Gremlinguy and 11 others like this.
  2. 2935ford

2935ford

3. chevy3755

chevy3755

were do i sign up.....

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wish them good luck. Bob

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Another cubic dollar street rod rag?

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I agree. Looks a bit too much like Street Rodder which went south for me when cars started appearing that saw little if any street use.

SlamIam, mctim64 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we NEED to support this endeavor. With print all but disappearing lately, we should everything in our power to keep this media alive...something you can actually hold in your hands (ie read in the bathroom).
    And even if the content isn't a 100% HAMBish, Brian B. and Rob KNOW hot rods, have contributed greatly to our hobby...and deserve our support. Just sayin'

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Doesn't look HAMB friendly to me....

mctim64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Guess if I see it on a news-stand or book store somewhere I'll take a look-see. Little too early to do a subscription as it could be one and done. Looks like a good group of guys trying to make it happen. Only time will tell if it flies.:)

11. Not available on newsstand. Print and/or digital subscriptions only.

Phil

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

IMHO; BB *is* the Problem.
    Marcus...

13. bobscogin

bobscogin

Glad to see someone making a run at a printed magazine. I wish them luck, but if my interest is hot rods stuck in the past, I'll just read magazines from the past. Everything else is on the internet.

Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. ...they are also doing "Classic Truck Performance" magazine,...got my first issue of that, still waiting for the "Modern Rodding" issue...but I sub'd to both, we need mags...
    ...another fairly new or little-known magazine is "Wheel Hub"...the quality is rite on par with Rodders Journal,...sub'd to it also,...go to wheelhubmag.com for info.

15. Hmmm, On the cover it says How-To Tech; and then hinge pins. Do you think they will actually tell you the easy way to remove the pins on early external hinges or just pimp some advertisers C clamp push up unit that don't work 90% of the time? I've said to many times over the years the publications that were, should have gone into the small builder shops for How-To's and show us how to do things without using Advertisers Goochie equipment and still build a quality vehicle we can drive safely. Sadly I have to say the Cover photo might as well say Street Rodder, Back in Print!

16. That should be
    wheelhubmag.com

Phil

17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I recently signed back up for Mopar Collectors Guide for that very reason. I'll check this one out too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I am cautious when I see the word MODERN. I will look for it and check it out.

19. Bring back Rod & Custom, then I will subscribe. HRP

20. 34Larry

34Larry

Think I'll pass. They could offer a one time trial offer even being digital if they had the software to do so.
    I have the current print issue of RODZ. Appears to be a decent piece for us of the hot rod persuasion.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The ghost of Street Rod Builder?

22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Maybe they will.pass out complimentary issues at the Street Rod Nats good way to increase interest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

I think what happened to the How-To Tech was probably a liability issue. Ol' cuzzin 'ifn ya cain't weld good, weld a lot' built the piece. Then he didn't have the right size grade 8 bolts so he reached in the coffee can and pulled out what he had. It wasn't the right diameter, but that's what body washers are for, right. After it fails and some innocent party is injured, any fresh law school graduate knows ol' cuzzin hasn't got any money, but the magazine that showed him how, does. And ol' cuzzin will testify that he did it exactly like they showed.
    By using an advertiser's kit the magazines get to keep playing, but on the advertiser's liability insurance. Although a good lawyer could probably shred that.

clem, hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It certainly doesn't look like all red wheels and white walls, but a little horizon expansion never hurt anyone. A digital subscription is 15 bucks, which is a pretty minimal risk in my opinion.

-Abone.

joel, clem, fauj and 6 others like this.
  25. That may be part of it, but......
    I have a friend that was doing freelance articles for SRM, Classic Trucks, etc. We talked about doing some tech articles. He looked around my shop and said, "You use Miller welders, good they can be a sponsor. Also PPG paint...." He said he had to have a "sponsor(s)" in the article that advertised within the mags before he could get it published...

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

All I can say is that I learned a lot from Brian Brennan and many others that posted tech info in magazines over the years. They have access to sources that know all the inside information about many varied subjects, and you can get enough information from JUST ONE tech article to more than offset the cost of a subscription. I've posted several tech articles on the Hamb that contained GREAT INSIDE TECH INFO that almost no one would know if they didn't read it in a Magazine. You guys that want to whine because every issue isn't totally dedicated to your specific interests are your own worst enemies. How hard is it to find tech info like this article I posted on the Hamb a while back? Most of the Hemi guys struggle to find ACCURATE/ESOTERIC info like like this. Anyone buying some old Hemi will more than save the subscription price just with this one article. Then there are articles on rebuilding Flatheads and the different models of the engine, or adapting a five speed trans to a flathead. Where do you find that info? How about cam degreeing and break in, think that might save someone a few bucks? Maybe the articles explaining oil types or brake fluid or anti-freeze. Everybody out there experts on those subjects and don't want any info? Articles on wiring your vehicle or the different types of transmissions and their physical dimensions. Gonna go to a junkyard and crawl under a bunch of vehicles and measure them? Nope, most of you have experience with with some things but don't have the tech info to do a lot of other things.......and the magazines provide what we have no way to obtain on our own. I for one owe all those guys and their magazines a dept of gratitude and I damn sure don't expect every word or article they write to be dedicated to my little sphere of reference.
    Anybody out there have all the information below all organized in their mind and committed to memory so they couldn't learn something that saved them more than the cost of a years subscription?
    Hemi Info 1 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 2 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 3 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 4 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 5 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 6 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 7 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 8 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 9 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 10 001.jpg Hemi Info 11 001.jpg
    Hemi Info 12 001.jpg
    Hemi Info Chart 001.jpg
    Anybody here think someone wanting to get an old Hemi for their Hot Rod didn't get enough info from this one article to save them $19.95 in their decision making? Personally I'm going to go sign up for Brians new magazine venture and hope it lasts at least as long as I do..............

https://inthegaragemedia.com/subscription/

rod1, Lil'Alb, Gasser 57 and 16 others like this.
  27. You see one cover , and I'll take a pass( quick to judgement) .. So if they offered you "one time trial offer " ? may not be HAMB friendly cars .. it's print we need to support all the guys/gals that are putting out these magazines.. Rodders Journal, Hop Up, Speed & Kulture.. long live print

28. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't mean to single you out 34Larry, but I'm kinda surprised that you would be against something that has Hot Rods that don't necessarily meet the Hamb guidelines.

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Bought online and print subs. Lot’s of narrow minded “car guys” here!

30. Me too!