Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. I cleaned it up. Charlie will make a y pipe that will go from the original outlet and the rear exhaust port towards the rear. image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

brad2v, patmanta, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  2. Mock up for pedals and steering column

3. he was so happy you helped him with that! thanks for posting the photo Matty!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  4. 9B3CCF50-FFFA-48DD-96B0-A8C74B825397.jpeg this followed me home

Stogy, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  5. back to the wood. I cut two equally spaced rabbits inn the pieces I had cut out for the sides of the top opening. I then put paint on the sides against the metal.
    I set up a set of boards to route out grooves on the front and back headers. i clamped and screws a couple boards in place for the router to slide on. I also used a collar on the router as a guide. IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0270.JPG

Stogy, brEad, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  6. IMG_0276.JPG I had this piece of cut off that gave me the idea for the reason for the rabbits on the headers. we thought it might be cool to put a slat roof in like a woody.

Stogy, TFoch, Runnin shine and 3 others like this.
  7. I cut out the two ribs that run side to side. these had to be arched differently. the back header was about a 1/2 taller arch. I split the difference on the two pieces equally . I then cut corresponding rabbits in them to fit them in the side pieces. IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG IMG_0273.JPG

Stogy, Shadow Creek, brEad and 5 others like this.
  8. I cut the "inspiration" piece into two strips and checked out how they will look. IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0279.JPG

nunattax, Stogy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  9. the plan is to sand all the pieces that will show and varnish it to show "the tree" that clobbered it.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet sweet revenge !

11. loudbang

loudbang

Hey you are talking in carpenter we metal working people need an interpreter. :confused: LOL

safetythird, Stogy, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So, so, so awe inspiring. Hard pressed to find a better use of a field tree.
    So the plan is to leave the roof exposed for storyline or to upholster the revenge insert?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. we are going to leave the wood on the inside visible. the top will get the vinyl just like the original. Charlie wants to even leave most of the wrinkles and hammer marks.
    this trucks history, the steel Henry truck, the lettering, what's left of the second paint job, the dents from the tree, the parts of the tree and the hot rod conversion, will be all laid out for the world to see.:):cool:

brad2v, nunattax, Tman and 9 others like this.
  14. hah, I bet my accent is bad, I really have no idea if I am using the right terms. :)
    I worked at a restoration shop many moons ago and they would hire this amazing Swedish wood worker when needed to repair any of the wood for the cars. he used all kinds of expressions and terms. he would explain how he would scarf in a piece, or make a scarf joint or something needed to be scarfed, scarf this, scarf that. we called him the Scarfer, I think his name is Bill, but never heard him called anything other then "the Scarfer".:) @The37Kid

Sprockmonster, Tman, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

………………..you can Google the Isadora Dunkin scarf, I don't think they carry a warning label. Bob

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My wife gave our daughter her middle name in honor of this great dancer. But I knew of no scarf you speak until google brought me from the dark times of dove tailed wood structures into the light of space age metals and there electric conjoining.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Research has shown that it was the rear knock off on an Amilcar not a Bugatti that caused her death. Bob

Stogy, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  18. the final pieces of structural wood left were the pieces that ran up the latch post of the cab. the passenger side pieces were rotted and broken. I was saving making the upper piece till after it was chopped but Charlie wants to get it together then maybe chop it later. the driver side was in good shape so I could use them as a template. IMG_0280.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0284.JPG

Cliff Ramsdell, Stogy, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  19. I had 3 pieces of the tree left and a few cut offs. one of the pieces I cut a section off to make these 4 post pieces, the other half I should be able to get the roof slats out of. the other two chunks we will use to make boards for the bed. IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0287.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, akoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  20. I used the bandsaw and table saw to cut them to shape. IMG_0288.JPG

Stogy, TFoch, akoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  21. to make the little rabbit along the edge I set the blade on the table saw to the height and adjusted the fence to hold the depth. IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG

22. instead of setting up the router to groove the cut out I just used the hack saw to cut the straight lines then used the air grinder to sand off the grooves. they put these grooves for the counter sink in the hardware that holds the boards in. IMG_0291.JPG

brad2v, TFoch, akoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  23. for these notches I made a series of cuts and cleaned them off with a chisel. I sanded all the boards down and rounded the inner edges like the originals. IMG_0292.JPG IMG_0293.JPG

Stogy, brEad, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  24. I pounded them in but will remove them to put a coat of paint on the inside edges for protection. the only wood that is not from the tree is the small board that makes up the bottom piece of the front header. IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG

cactus1, nunattax, Stogy and 9 others like this.
  25. Did someone say CHOP?:D

Atwater Mike, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I like that word!

27. had a little time this after noon so I set up to start welding in some patches. I want to start with the two cab corners then weld the patch across the back. IMG_0306.JPG