Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 Ford 3 window- Saving it from street rod hell!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by el Roach, Nov 30, 2016.

1. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't have any pics from the magazine article, just have the old magazine itself. It had short fenders on it then and a LaSalle grille. Mo ugly than it is now. :p

2. Looks like a just in time rescue! Boy, that thing is fubar.
    Good on you for stepping up, ANY 3 window is worth saving IMO. Keep the updates coming.

3. [​IMG]

...... better than I thought it'd look. Really cool.

Tim, cactus1, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Not sure I saw that one, That a little iron duke 4 banger in it?

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I don't think this version looks all that bad at all , headlight mounts look a little awkward but ...looks waay better to my eye than the laid back swoopy grill and the fake spindle mounts

Attached Files:

6. And I came here specifically to ask what the ass end looked like with fenders.
    Boom there it is.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

irony...

RICH B, thirtytwo and tomkelly88 like this.
  8. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Kid for posting that. It was weird then in that it had the axle was a spring-in-front like a '37.
    Looks like it had a big overbite!!!

RICH B and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I could have made the LaSalle grill work, but I agree the aluminum grille and DEFINITELY the 10 spokes are going away!! Anyone have a chopped '33 grille they want to sell ?????

Squablow likes this.
  10. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

11. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. It'll get there.

12. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

You got great taste,show us.

13. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL car ! Make it yours ! Your Car Your Deal ! It's probably because I'm old, if I found an old magazine car that was in good condition, I think I'd leave it as is, drive it as a survivor, (IMO great conversation piece)
    by following this, it went through some changes w/ time. Kinda like any car, it's only a original survivor car 1x.

14. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, here we are 3.5 years later! Just wanted to post a couple of updates even though this car has been on the back burner due to getting another car ready to sell, and working on my "Covid Coupe" (32 five window.)
    20190716_083643.jpg
    20190716_083557.jpg
    20190827_112048.jpg
    20200626_133208.jpg
    20200626_133138.jpg

15. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here's how it sits now. Waiting to sand the last coat of primer and squirt a little color on before it gets re-assembled. Don't go holding your breath waiting for another update! :p:p:p
    20200626_133047.jpg

RICH B, slv63, slim38 and 9 others like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

17. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. Channeled 33/34 with 32 grille used to be so popular but rarely seen now. New axle and wheels also a huge improvement.

18. And....why the 32 grill? I mean....it's not ugly, but just curious why you didn't go with a 34?

19. I would guess that the ‘32 grille and shell was 5-10% of the cost of a ‘33 grille and shell. It is uncommon but I think it looks good.

53 effie likes this.
  20. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it didn't have anything to do with cost (I actually had one for it) it had to do with how much the frame has been pinched and how short and reshaped the radiator is. Would much rather had a '33 grille on it.

53 effie likes this.
  21. I does look like many did back in the day....Can't wait to see it progress!

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang you weren’t afraid of tearing into that! Looks good, what all has been changed?

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@el Roach...awesome things taking place indeed...regardless of how long...;)

Thanks for taking us along for the ride...

24. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Mikie likes it...
    Guys that don't like the '32 grill have not folded a '33-'34 grill, $$$, under the radiator, the later do not hide the sides of the radiator when hoodless as the '32 does...
    I agree that the '32 shells are overused... A grill on my A...

25. Nice job el roach!

Warning a small amount of satire-

Oh I just love the 33-34 being channeled. It’s so right it’s fabulous it’s something I desire everybody should have 2 of them except me I need 3, channeled, channel, channels, body drop, yes yes yes more channeled 33-34s
    But I don’t understand why you’re or anyone would be running a 32 grill on it, the 33,34 grill is sooooo much better, it’s iconic, it’s the most beautiful grill shapes ever conceived. That must have channeled 33/34 car deserves should must ought to gotta have the oh do right 33/34 grill. It’s perfect and should never be changed, I need 3 of them. One on the channeled car so everyone can love on it, one on the garage wall so my unicorn can love on it and one under my pillow so the tooth fairy can love on it too.

I don’t know if that’s enough?

Fellas,,, the beloved grill goes below the line of the pavement once the car is channeled. Those 33/34 grills need to be cut and sectioned it fit. They’re pretty Smart too. Some guys try to out smart the grill by leaning it way back and pushing the bottom further out front. The 33/34 grill is smarter than those guys too.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    el Roach likes this.
  26. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the input. I mentioned above that I actually had a 33 grille for the car, BUT, not only would that grille need to have been sectioned (too much), but I would have to have a new radiator built for mounting the grille as there is no means to attach it on the car now. Besides, I too damn lazy!! (other cars need built!)

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  27. swifty

swifty

Great job @el Roach. I like it. Channelled with the 32 grill gives it an East Coast/Aussie style to it. Here in Oz we never got model A or 32 coupes so the Model 40's were our first coupes and they all got channelled with 32 grills. They were the foundation cars of Aussie hot rodding.
    I do agree with @sloppy jalopies that 32 grills are over-used but that's on Model A's cos they wish they were 32's.
    I see you used the headlight stands off the OG chassis and is that another hinge I see? Still using the drive train it came with?

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

OIP.jpg A De Soto grill would look nice.

Bob

el Roach and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  29. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes Swifty, I'm going to put the '69 327 back in it with the auto trans. Reason = I'll probably sell this car in the future.

Yes that would look good Bob. Have any laying around?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

swifty,
    I have never run a '32 shell on a model A, [6]
    but have run them on [3] model 40s... after I folded a recently chopped [difficult job] '34 grill under the radiator... errrrr.