Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pics request - routing brake lines from firewall to master

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Gersic, Jun 26, 2020.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Have to re-run my upper brake lines to a firewall mounted master. Looking for nice looking ideas to borrow inspiration from.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Usually you're combination valve is installed close to the master ,then a couple loops and down the firewall .

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Combination valve is on the frame.

New booster is a couple inches shorter than old booster. I have them run this way now

[​IMG]

but having them kinda hanging out in space, they’re kinda in the way getting at the valve cover, carb, etc.. Thunking since I need to re-run them anyway, maybe trying to tuck them up under the master more. Follow the firewall over toward the centre, then come up along the bottom and front of the booster, under the master, then pop out in a loop to the fittings.

Bunch of extra bends, will be something of a pain to get them to run parallel through a half dozen corners.

Just looking for other ideas.

4. No loops needed as everything is mounted to the same body structure. Keep it simple, you will like the look.
    Once you get lines back to firewall you do need line brackets to minimize vibration on line.

Phil

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 41 ford truck under construction. I had to mount the master (I think the PC term now is "primary" cylinder:cool:) on the firewall due to big 518 tranny, fun idea, I used 2 frame mount SS line brackets and used a snap rivet to clamp them together to space and brace the lines with SS gravel guard over them.
    upload_2020-6-26_20-38-12.png

6. As long as there is no flex whatsoever in the firewall. You also need some flex in the transition from the firewall to the chassis. The loops are easy to do and work well to absorb vibration.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have some of those SS clips. One on the firewall where the lines come up. Had to buy a whole bag, so lots of spares. Hadn’t thought of doubling them up like that. I like it.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. Correct

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

[​IMG]

If you run your loops counter clockwise away from the master cylinder, instead of clockwise in towards it like now, you would come off the bottom on the outside of the loops. That might buy you the room to go straight back to the firewall beside the booster. Starting your loops with less of a drop (or no drop) would raise the horizontal farther above your valve cover.

alanp561 and David Gersic like this.
  10. Ones on my coupe. Non power. Don't over think it.
    0627201628.jpg

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I would bet part of the loop design is 2 fold, 1 for vibration and 1 for safety. My bet is the loops give extra length in case of a wreck. Instead of ripping the lines out of the nut it just unravels some loops.

Lord knows thru the years and all the wrecks I've worked on I've seen those loops pulled many times.

My 31 tudor will definitely have them but I'll put them under the power brake booster if I decide to run one.

13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

RMR&C Has it figured out nothing extra , neat , clean..

61Cruiser, Tman and alanp561 like this.
  14. Just finished this up on a 54 Studebaker. Master Cyl and booster /combo from Leeds brakes. Take your time bending the lines and it will look great.
    I like the look of lines with the stone guard.

Attached Files:

David Gersic likes this.
  15. David, I hope you aren't considering copper brake lines. Copper is not that strong and can crack more easily than steel, stainless, or nicopp.

Phil

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Un-necessary loops will add weight and actually cause flex

alanp561 likes this.
  17. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

005.JPG
    This has worked for me for quite a while.

Gary

alanp561, David Gersic and RMR&C like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The mock up is copper wire, plumbing copper scraps left over from an ice maker I don’t have, and masking tape.

The real lines are NiCop.

pprather likes this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

[​IMG][​IMG]

Front is done. Rear is mocked up using scrap. Hoping to get the rear bent up tomorrow, so I can bleed them.

20. X-cpe

X-cpe

[​IMG]

Simple, neat and clean.

David Gersic likes this.
  21. x2, that turned out nice!

David Gersic likes this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My suggestion would be to come up on the other side of the booster .............or come up where you are at and then run them under the booster along the firewall. Then come from the motor side of the booster and come out from under the master cylinder with a 180 degree upward bend. That way the tubes don't look like an afterthought hanging out in the air. If you want the vibration coil (1 turn ?), it might be visually hidden somewhat by the booster/master cylinder as it comes off the firewall. Hope I described this sufficiently.

Edit: Actually, after looking at the picture of the master cylinder again, it looks like your connections could be made on the other side of it and conceal the tubes even more.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Here is a picture of the master cylinder and brake lines to the combination valve on my 48 Olds. 006F3110-1ED1-482A-990C-B598EF3C692E.jpeg

David Gersic likes this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

No room on the other side. I’d have to pull the engine and transmission to get back there.

There are no fittings on the far side to connect to.

I was trying to come up under the booster and go around it, but couldn’t get that to work out either. Steering shaft is in the way there.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

They’re in, bled, and ready for test drive. Hoping that I finally outsmarted that pesky smart brake fluid.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alanp561 and RMR&C like this.