Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse rotation steering box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chip Romano, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Simple fix. A 37 to 48 cross steer box turned on it's side will do what you want.

alanp561 and Boryca like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Put the box through the frame hole and mount a pitman arm. Try sticking the drag link into the pitman from the inside, even if the hole is tapered from the outside (you can taper it halfway from the inside if my idea works).

Flip the hoop arm on the spindle upside down so the drag link mounts from below. Then see how the drag link might fit and take some pics. Make sure to get a clear view directly from the side. Make sure the drag link will clear the wishbone and we will judge if your geometry looks good from the side.

3. Nothing to do with the steering, but is that radiator and shell from a channeled car?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that appears so.

5. F-100 in a deuce frame with the arm down has good almost stock geometry and isn't too low.
    steering 1 (Medium).jpg steering 2 (Medium).jpg steering 3.jpg

Ned Ludd and Blues4U like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, if you can make it look like Rich's you will be golden.

7. chip Romano

chip Romano

I don't know but it looks like it.

8. chip Romano

chip Romano

I'll give that a try. Hoop arm is already flipped. Pic was from when I first got it. I still feel like the pitman arm will hang too low. Is it ok to shorten it. If so, what is the minimum length I would want it to be?

9. alchemy

alchemy

Altering the length of the arm will change the steering ratio, and will affect the power you need to turn the wheel, as well as how many turns to make the wheels move. Probably not something you'd want to do unless you can calculate the changes it will make (I'm not that smart).

10. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

IMG_1101.JPG

I’d leave your set up alone, but if your looking for something traditional and not ugly like these mustang and all this other jive I have the solution. 40 ford box turned 90deg. And file the big teeth out of the pitment arm splines that locate it for cross steer and flip it to upward side steer like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chip Romano likes this.
  11. Too low by what measure? I don't think you're properly taking scrub line into account (ensuring nothing hangs lower than the bottom of the rim, assuming all four tires were flat).
    If you lose a tire and rim, scrub line or not, you've got a bigger problem on your hands than steering.

chip Romano likes this.
  12. X-cpe

X-cpe

To find the minimum length pitman arm you can use, you will have to measure the arc swing of the piman arm and the steering hoop. With the drag link off, manually turn the front wheels and measure the linear distance the hoop moves lock to lock. Then do the same for the pitman arm. I generally use a piece of cardboard to mark and measure. Then see how far you have to go down the pitman arm arc to move the wheels lock to lock. I would stop short of turning the steering box all the way to its stops.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    chip Romano likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a friend with a steel 32 roadster built back in the 70's and he is running a 32 box with 35/36 internals and stock pitman arm. The builder did this because this car has a 5 inch dropped axle with unsplit 32 bones. He has driven this setup all over the US with no problems.

chip Romano likes this.