Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvair steering boxes old aluminum vs.New cast iron

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jun 24, 2020.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I hav an olds aluminum corvair steering box I reversed on my 31 roadster . But it has a lot of play in the wheel . I’ve been considering replacing it with a new box but they are all cast iron . Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My t bucket had an aluminum corvair when i bought it. shaft was broken, case wasnt. I went with a new cast reproduction as a replacement. Figure it has to be stronger.

3. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Can it be adjusted to remove the play?

4. olds vroom

olds vroom

I’ve adjusted it all I can I’m thinking it’s just worn out.

5. there are two brass bushings in the box that are easily replaced. they are a common size and are available at any bearing supply place. there really isnt much to them. get a new seal while your at it.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. bchctybob likes this.
  7. I have nothing against a new cast iron box, but if I had an old aluminum box in a light car i would rebuild the aluminum box before i would replace it with a new repop box.

5window, mgtstumpy and 1934coupe like this.
  8. Isn't anything in there that should wear out except those two bushings. Everything else is ball bearings so they are either good or catastrophically failed which is unlikely.

Steering_box_parts.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    mgtstumpy and 1934coupe like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weight on the front wheels has always been an issue with those when they were put on hot rods.
    Checking the GM archives shows that the heaviest front end weight of a 64 Corvair was 890 lbs and that is about all they were designed for.

stillrunners and mgtstumpy like this.
  10. olds vroom

olds vroom

My issue is the slop in the wheel having to turn at least a 1/4 wheel before the pitman arm moves.that makes me think the gears are worn am I wrong?

11. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Bushing slop will do that same feeling too....it's a result of too much clearance between worm shaft and sector gear because the worn bushings allow the shafts to move away from each other, feels like worn out gear but gears virtually never wear.
    The mechanism puts a lot of side thrust into those bushings.

2OLD2FAST and racer-x like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^^ This. And the previous post regarding the balls.

13. the large nut that sets the preload on the bearings needs to be set correctly. if incorrect this can also cause slop. try the bushings they only cost a few dollars.

14. olds vroom

olds vroom

Adjustments.JPG the bushings i have circled are the ones you are talking about correct?

15. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Yes, those are the ones.

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

What you need to do is check that the box is positioned properly in its rotation.
    All boxes are machined to have a tight spot dead center in rotation. It's the only point where the box is actually meshed with no noticeable movement. Its there to give precise control in the straight ahead position and also to allow for adjustment of the box as this center point wears.
    You do all your adjustment at this center point.
    If you adjust off center you run a risk of damaging the box as you turn past the on center point as the clearances there will now be too tight.

All that said...it's a common problem for people to NOT consider this tight point in the layout of their steering and the end result is play in the wheel as you drive.

My suggestion....before worrying about box adjustment...put the wheels in a straight ahead position.
    Do it exactly and verify with measurement to the frame.

Unbolt the draglink from the pitman arm and let it hang loose.

Rotate the steering wheel to determine the number of turns lock to lock and then turn the wheel exactly half that to center the box on the tighter center point. There should be no slop in the pitman arm at that point. If you turn the steering wheel off that center point you will find slop...but thats normal. At center point...none.

If there is any slop on center you adjust the box as required.

Now...see if the draglink bolts right up to the pitman arm. Most likely it won't.
    DON'T turn the steering wheel or the road wheels to get it to fit. That completely defeats the purpose.
    Adjust the draglink to fit properly.

Once thats done and the draglink is reconnected, the steering should be tight and on center as you go straight ahead.

One more thing.

If by chance your steering wheel now sits out of position in straight ahead driving...DO NOT adjust it at the draglink.
    If you do...all your resetting to "on center" the steering box is out the window!
    You adjust the steering wheel at the wheel itself or by clocking the U joints in the steering wheel shaft or whatever.
    You can't do it at the draglink. PERIOD.

Do this procedure any time you are assembling a steering system.

getow, Atwater Mike, willys36 and 7 others like this.
  17. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thank you this is great advise I’ll try this first and go from there.

18. jimvette59

jimvette59

When I used the cast Iron reversed box in my fender less 34 3 window coupe I set up the front end first installed the box, found the center flat spot then filed the flats in the pitman arm and clocked it straight down to the drag link. It worked the first time and I never looked back. Oh I put it through the original hole in the chassis. JMHO

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Important consideration here: Note the geometry in 'equidistance' at the pitman arm/drag link. If drag link is on an upward angle from the point of attachment at pitman arm, the angle should be adjusted to achieve 90 degrees of angle between said pitman arm and drag link. (Ideal angles should be the same differential at full left as full right.)
    This is checked AFTER the 'center HIGH spot is ascertained and adjusted.
    Good for the goose/good for the gander.

20. jimvette59

jimvette59

That is exactly what this accomplishes if you set up your front steering properly. That is a given.It doesn't matter what angle you box is at only the inards. The angle of the Drag link should be on the same angle as the radius arms to eliminate Bump Steering. When I mentioned to set up your front end it should have been done prior to setting up the steering box.

21. jimvette59

jimvette59

Atwater Mike when I said to file the flats and CLOCK the pitman arm was to position it at 90 degs. to the drag link. Please read what was written. Thank you Jim T.

22. getow

getow

Thanks for da info and procedure. It worked as u described and i got it dam close to perfect w/o an alignment machine. Good info to say da least.

Hackerbilt and stillrunners like this.