Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 merc 4 door custom build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mopar Tony, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well after years and years of wanting and dreaming I came across a mercury that I couldn't pass up. I needed another project car like I needed another hole in my head but the guy who had it dropped the price drastically and told me that if I wanted it that he would take $1500 for it. For the condition it seems like an amazing deal despite having a lot of work left to do. This car has already had quite a few things done, some done well, other things need fixed. Headlights have began to be frenched in, the grille swapped out for a 54 Chevy but missing teeth, doors shaved, nosed, decked, Chevy nova stub with disc brakes, and a ford 9 inch with disc brakes. The guy who installed the rockers and made some body repairs brazed them. It looks like a quality job, yet I hate they are brazed and currently contemplating grinding it out and welding it all. I have a long way to go but I am excited to get there. I will need to track down a bunch of parts which will have to be over time as I am a broke bastard. Really wanting to find a factory steering wheel and seats and then piece the rest in. This car has been a dream of mine since the first time I saw Cobra with my grandfather. I know it is a 4 door and I know it is a basket case but it is mine and I love it. I hope to finish the grille like the white one below and do a chop some day down the road like the black one. I have only chopped one car and not sure how I'd do on the merc.
    upload_2020-6-21_9-50-22.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-51-14.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-52-9.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-52-53.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-53-23.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-54-12.png
    upload_2020-6-21_9-54-52.png

example for grille
    [​IMG]
    example for chop
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Spooky, lucky, vtx1800 and 6 others like this.
  2. It looks Good Keep up the good work an you will Get what you Want!
    What type of engine you are going use.??
    I put a sbc in mine with a Automatic and love it.
    it takes awhile to get what you want just Keep on what your Doing.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

3. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I will most likely use a small block chevy for now despite that making me want to puke LOL. I am a mopar guy through and through but the merc has always been my dream car. The car was set up before I got it with the small block chevy mounts all in so it would be easiest to leave the chevy stuff in there, plus they are cheap.

4. mine has been sitting in the barn for about 15 years waiting on me to start
    good luck and post a lot of pics

Spooky and Mopar Tony like this.

5. A couple of Year's ago there was a 50 merc. with Hemy in it that sold
    on ebay for 50K it was a Real Beauty!
    it looked like came from the Factory with it.
    even had the Hemy Rear, it had the Mopar Automatic

I am a Ford guy my self, but when I went to build my Drag Car
    and found out What cost for Ford Parts ( now this was Back in the Day )
    before you were born seeing your age!
    I when't BBC L-88 in a 64 Chevelle

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

6. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I have a 331 hemi sitting at home that I thought about running but I think I am still going to put that in my 52 Plymouth. I keep having to resist the idea of putting my 440 in the mercury. I am trying to be an adult but my juvenile side wants to take over.

7. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well maybe we should have a race, get us both motivated LOL

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. you got a head start already.
    I have thought about just dropping an engine in and drive it as is for a while

Mopar Tony likes this.
  9. AndersF

AndersF

It would be nice cruiser with the 440 and a 727. Who wants to be sheap? :D

Mopar Tony likes this.
  10. Get a vintage small block such as a 283 or a 327 and you might not be as nauseated...:eek::confused:

Moedog07 and Hnstray like this.
  11. 1pickup

1pickup

@Mopar Tony I think you stole it. I also think the rear wheel sits too far back in the wheel well. Also, PM me for some seats in south central WI, close to Madison.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  12. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Might as well, that way you can enjoy it. The thing I have found out is you get them so they are drivable it gives you more ambition to finish it.
    Not I sir LOL, however I have a 355 small block chevy already and it is set up for it. Doesn't mean it will be permanent.

I'd feel just as ill....LOL. However I do have a 355 chevy small block already built hooked to a 700R4 trans that I bought for my wife's truck and never used so it will drop right in.

I think I got one hell of a deal for sure. The rear wheel does sit too far back and the front one is too close to the firewall as well but that is because the body is just sitting on there and not bolted down. I plan on pulling the body back off one more time and getting the whole drive train done before I finish the body.

AndersF likes this.
  13. A Olds engine will slip right in & you wont be like everybody else!
    I put my engine in my Merc. after I had a wreck with my Chevy Impala
    63 I pulled the Engine & tranny & put it in my Merc.
    Because I kept on Blowing Tranny's in my Merc.
    That is one reason I did it also if you ever brake Down on the
    side of the Road & go in a Parts store and tell the guy behind the Counter
    I need a Part for my Hemi Engine! or anything else to do with the Car!
    This way you go into any Parts Store and ask for a Chevy Part, you Get It.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

R A Wrench likes this.
  14. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

You make a very valid argument. I plan on driving this car the whole length of route 66 when it is done. The ease of finding a small block chevy part is appealing in that way.

15. I dont buy the "ease of finding parts' argument.
    We build our cars and know how to fix em, what are you going to fix on the side of the road? water pumps, fuel pumps, alternator or starter, ignition parts. Simple stuff.
    SBC parts are not everywhere like it used to be, my local parts place had to order a fuel pump. Same with the starter.
    doesnt matter if you sling a rod in a SBC or a flathead, ya gonna have to call a tow truck for either one

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats and welcome to the Merc family. Looks like you got a good buy. Four doors are kool.... Most important thing is the stance. I've seen a lot of chopped 4dr Mercs that didn't set right. I'd concentrate on that first.... Keep us posted on the progress. If I had a 4dr Merc project, this is the one that I would use for a guide line.

Steve's+Merc (1).jpg

_DSC3675.jpg

Jrs50, Spooky, lucky and 10 others like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty solid looking car even if it does have extra doors.
    I had to look at where you were from as that frame looks just like my old one out of my 51 except for the 9 inch. That is how you subframe a 49/51 Merc right though.
    You will need some artful use of steering U joints with the rear steer box but can use the Merc core support and radiator without issues in the front after you trim away some front end inner tin if it hasn't already been done.
    When you get the real custom car wheels and tires on it rather than the truck wheels and tires and the engine in it the front crossmember should sit right 6-1/2 inches off the shop floor with the engine and radiator and everything in place That is with a 215-75- 15 tire on a steel wheel
    I ran a 350 R Olds engine in mine with a turbo 350 and that worked out great. You could probably put a 360 and torqueflite in it pretty easy though. It would depend on steering box clearance for the left exhaust.
    I'm not big on sticking a photo of one's ride on another guy's thread about his car but this is how mine sat with the same subframe under it and 215 tires.
    [​IMG]

I like the photo Straycat showed of that slick 4 door and if it were me I'd put some of the effort it took to chop it into attention to detail and getting a slick paint job and nice interior and call it good and have a nice comfortable cruiser that you could hit the road with. They don't all have to be chopped they just have to be cool.

18. 1pickup

1pickup

@Mopar Tony Go to my profile page, click on albums. The one labeled "parts" has a couple pics of the front bench from a 4dr, which was bolted in my 2dr when I got it (damn hard to get in the back seat), & the back seat out of the 2dr. I'm guessing 2 & 4 door rear seats are the same? PM me if interested, they are for sale.

Mopar Tony likes this.
  19. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

That is for sure a gorgeous more door merc, even like so un chopped. Sorry for the late reply some how I didn't see this.

50 Merc Man likes this.
  20. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Thanks for your pic, I am glad you shared it so I could see the height. the only thing I'm worried about is the front end alignment. It is kind of wonky, maybe it just needs adjusted. I have some other projects to finish first but I have always wanted a mercury and the price was right so I had to pounce on it. I mean for $1500 how could I not buy it LOL. Also sorry for the late reply some how I didn't see this.

21. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Well so far I have been just gathering parts here and there and I hit the lottery big time last weekend. I have been working on my plymouth and just had this car on the back burner because all I had was a shell. Well last weekend I found this gem for 1,100 bucks and it has everything I need for the most part. Pretty awesome find, just needs some elbow greese to clean up some of the parts. I am super bummed the flathead was full of water and stuck. But the aluminum heads a 3 deuce intake will go good on my 51 ford flathead. The car is a huge bummer because at one time it was customized but has been left outside for the last 20 years in the dirt and the whole under side is rotten. I plan on using all the interior after cleaning it up. I had no windows, interior, trim, etc so I am super happy to have this thing.
    upload_2021-11-15_6-56-7.png
    upload_2021-11-15_6-57-31.png
    upload_2021-11-15_6-58-4.png
    upload_2021-11-15_6-58-57.png
    upload_2021-11-15_6-59-29.png
    upload_2021-11-15_7-0-3.png
    upload_2021-11-15_7-0-29.png
    upload_2021-11-15_7-0-55.png
    upload_2021-11-15_7-1-23.png

Spooky, lucky, Rand Man and 11 others like this.
  22. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

That is awesome. Definitely saves a ton of searching and cost. Looks like you are about 100 steps closer now.

23. oldsman41

oldsman41

I have owned a couple of four door merc s if you nail the stance they are quite nice looking. Have a 2 door now no chop, stance and color makes the merc.

Spooky likes this.
  24. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I know I am getting ahead of myself here but that is what I am back and forth on, color. I always wanted a purple merc but after seeing this kind of burgundy color with red interior I think I may paint this one burgundy. That or a form of grey, but burgundy seems to fit.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  25. oldsman41

oldsman41

My first one was black cherry with white interior. Number 2 was black with light grey interior. 2 dr is firemist red with grey interior. 9418BF0E-281B-4192-A59D-D5413A36CE9A.jpeg

26. Squablow

Squablow

That red parts car is an absolute dream find, but also a heartbreaker, because it clearly was pretty nice not all that long ago, what a shame it got stuck outside to waste away. Glad you'll be able to use pretty much every piece that's still good on it, and maybe sell off whatever you end up having duplicates of. I would have bought that in a heartbeat for that price! It must have been meant to be.

27. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I have thought about TCP Global's firemist red, I think it'd look decent. But then again their burgundy LOL.
    Firemist red
    [​IMG]
    Burgundy
    [​IMG]
    Warm Grey metallic
    [​IMG]

28. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

It is for sure a heartbreaker. I think it an actual real deal original custom just because of what is on it and what has been done to it. Doors shaved, hood shaved, trunk shaved, headlights frenched with brazed on rings, tunneled antenna, flathead with 3 dueces, finned aluminum heads, headers, side pipes, etc. I was honestly just going to go ahead and fix this one but after seeing all the rust and the fact that I have pretty much a rust free body I'm going to just use the parts. The rockers are aluminum that was riveted on with filler smeared over them. Where the quarters meet the trunk floor on both sides are rotted and gone. Both inner rockers are gone as are the middle body mounts. SUCH a damn waste.

Squablow and tomkelly88 like this.
  29. Torchie

Torchie

Great score on the parts car!!
    Torchie

Mopar Tony likes this.
  30. oldsman41

oldsman41

Mine was painted in 1993 it was a Cadillac color. Faded a bit over the years but it was a stunner at the time. That warm grey metallic is sharp

Mopar Tony likes this.