Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Possibly trading my 37 buick for a 29 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrong generation, Jun 20, 2020.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You know,
    After some thought
    Topics like these are a lose-lose.
    We don’t know the guy or his situation .
    Car projects are a very personal thing. Ultimately this gets into personal and private matters.

I mean, I advised this fellow to sell his car and what to buy.

Who the Hell am I?

Now apparently he’s getting marriage advice and we don’t if he’s even married.

If this was tune up questions for the old Buick I could give some real data.
    Otherwise it’s Dr Phil stuff...,

I’m out.

blowby, chopped and Hnstray like this.
  2. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Marriage advice? Lol. Yeah deff don't need that. Happily single.

I don't know if any of you have seen or remember my thread on the 37 buick. Well long story short. That car was given to me sense I'm into really old cars lol. How ever it's not one i ever planned to own. And I'm not in love with it. And for that reason and because of other projects. The 37 buick. Has hit the back burner. And I've lost interest in it. So it has to go. It's better to let someone else who's actually interested in a 37 buick own it. Hense why it's gotta go.

I had posted the car up locally for trade hoping to get something I'd be more interested in. And that's how i got the trade offer for the 29 chevy. Being I'm not that familiar with those year chevys. Is why i made this thread. I had hopes you guys would tell me that a 29 chevy is just like a 29 ford. And id easily be able to make a traditional hotrod out of it. Something I'd be more interested in. How ever it appears that a 29 chevy is more wood then metal. Lol.

jimmy six likes this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

That Buick could be an awsome highway cruiser which is something that Chevy coud never be.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    lemondana likes this.
  4. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I put together 2 32 chevys with 10 sticks of 3/4 x 3/4 16 ga. Tubing , a chop saw an angle grinder and a mig welder, I don’t think you need a heavily outfitted fab shop to get it done....

5. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Lol so i asked the guy with the 29 chevy. If i could see the car in person. Before doing the trade. Because i was concerned about the amount of wood.

His response was to tell me that if I'm concerned about the amount of wood. Then this car is way over my head. Its funny cause he kept telling me how rust free the car is. But when i ask to inspect the car because of wood. He seems to have a problem with that.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  6. The '29 is nice (a '29 roadster is on my bucket list)- those headlights are incorrect, though...

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

was 16 when I got my first early Chevy . A 1933 3 window coupe. It had a bunch of rotted wood. I was learning how to gas weld.
    I used square tubing and a torch and coat hangers to replace the wood. I squared up the body and welded the doors shut and started cutting the wood out and replacing it with steel. It took me about 3 months to replace the wood in the car.
    Then set the body on a shortened 49 Chevy frame that my brother had left me when he enlisted in the army. Shortly after that my next door neighbor was nice enough to get drunk and hit a tree with his 55 Olds Holiday 88. So he gave me the car for the drivetrain for my first hot rod.
    Was it pretty, No. Did I learn a lot ,Yes. Was it fast ? Hell yes it was. My mom knew I was going to kill my self in it so she made me get rid of it. My parents never figured I would ever get it running so they never said anything about the whole pile of junk behind my dad's shop.
    when it fired up that was my first hot rod. I got to drive it twice before it had to go. The 100 foot black marks in front of the house told them it was time to for me to get a real car.
    I traded it to another rowdy teenager for a 49 Ford business coupe that received my Olds motor and transmission. He put a 6 cylinder in the coupe and drove it for a while before he rolled it racing on a gravel road.
    If you have the skills needed to replace the wood then the Chevy would make a good Hot Rod.

sgtlethargic likes this.
  8. chopped

chopped

Replaced some on my 36, if you like woodworking and have basic tools it's not really very hard. Helps that I made my living as a carpenter but it's not complicated just a slightly different skill set.

9. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

10. Interesting.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I remember your thread. I believe to be passionate about building a project and keep at it until it is drivable, you have to want and like that particular vehicle. The worse is a project you can’t get motivated to do, the best is when you have your favorite.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd never begin a build on a car I wasn't crazy for. When it is done you'll still wish you'd built something else, but the money will be gone. First rule of any build I do for myself is it has to really get me excited before I even consider it as a build project.
    I owned a 1940 Chev coupe in 1968, and always wished it was a '39 Chev coupe. A little over a year ago I found my '39 Chev coupe, and it was a horrible rust bucket. But I'd wanted one for so long it didn't matter. So now it's rust free, new drivetrain, and I'm driving it. I'd never be at this point if I hadn't wanted the car so badly.

13. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Agreed and that's why the buick has to go. It's deff a cool interesting car. And for that reason i saved it from the crusher. But it's just not a car my heart is into. I'm more into early 30s hotrods not late 30s street rods. Its like if I'm going to sink a ton of money and time into a car. I'd rather it be something i could see me wanting to daily drive. Vs some thing that will just sit in the garage.