Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carter YF help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Hello.
    I have a Carter YF/ 6cyl in the 63 econoline..
    I tried to start it the fuel pump works so well that fuel started gushing from the arm that goes through the bowl and moves with the throttle..
    I read online that u can upgrade the gaskets to withstand new fuel.
    Is it better to buy a new carburetor?
    I have a 200 ci in there... Tia IMG_20200620_141524.jpg IMG_20200620_141510.jpg

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

When it comes to one barrels I like the 1920 Holleys

3. Don't buy a new one yet. Take it apart and see what kind of shape it's in. They are pretty simple....
    Also check for too much fuel pressure.

6inarow likes this.
  4. I has a mechanical pump...I'll open it up later when it's not 110 out there

5. Just get a new gasket set (comes with acc pump), The YFs are good carbs. If you want to play with jets they use the same as a AFB.

BTW if it's coming out the flat bar area it's overflowing inside. Needle not sealing, float set too high or sinking....it shouldn't get high enough to get into that area.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. charlesf

charlesf

Keep and use the YF. As noted, they are simple and easy to rebuild. Mike’s Carburetors has parts.

7. Adjustments.JPG

^^^^^^^^^^^
    He also has a bunch of step by step videos on how to rebuild, tune and troubleshoot. Google “carter yf” videos and they’ll pop up. Teach a man to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. I know a carb would have been cheaper and easier but in on my way to pick up a supposeddly Strong running 200 with A rebuilt carb 3 hrs away...my econoline came with an unknown condition 200...

9. badshifter

badshifter

Gas coming out the throttle shaft indicates flooding. Not a fuel pump that works too well or new fuel. The gas is overflowing the bowl, hitting the throttle plate and running out the shaft.
    Check/fix/adjust your needle and seat first and go from there.
    Your solution may be simple and free.

10. carbking

carbking

In your picture, someone has deliberately defaced the original identification number, so identification in order to get parts will be difficult.

The most common cause of flooding (the condition you are describing) is the wrong fuel valve in the carburetor. Carter made hundreds of different YF carbs for engines from 134 CID to 331 CID. Most were made for Fords with the 300 CID 6 cylinder. From memory, the orifice for the Ford YF carbs is about 0.101. The orifice for most of the smaller carbs (Chevy 216, 235, etc.) was 0.081.

The FLAPS kits mostly have the 0.101 fuel valve.

Guess what happens when you try to run the 0.101 fuel valve in a carb designed for the 0.081.

With the defaced number, and an unknown carb giving issues; I would suggest the spares shelf for this one.

One other possible cause of your issue is the accelerator pump diaphragm. If ethanol contaminated fuel were used, and the carburetor then sat dry for a long time, the neopreme diaphragm will turn hard, and crack. When you attempt to start the engine, fuel will syphon through the pump circuit and cause the flooding you describe.

Jon

AHotRod, Truckdoctor Andy and egads like this.
  11. Thank you

I did check the float it see like it was set to high.no adjustment screw so I bent it down...I'll see if that does the trick.thanks

Ok thanks..

Ok thanks

I found some trash in the bowl,the needle closes and opens as it should...I blow air with my mouth with the float down and raise the float and I can't blow air anymore...
    The needle gets stuck closed for some reason if I raise the float too hard...

I'll try next weekend...I had some bad backfire enough to have an actual flame coming out of the exhaust..
    Might have to change oil, plugs,etc...

Thanks Jon...what carb do you recommend for a stock inline 6?

I picked up a supposed strong running 200,it maybe a 170,with a rebuilt motor craft carb....I will try to start that one and see if I can swap the parts to my 200...
    5ee3e01a7e0d4ff180d1e3771f91a0c6.jpg 31d5a8187cc44a05af70ac20812c476d.jpg 38862f9941eb4ae39c9f86a5cdfc1086.jpg a948f7cce0894648b1a1d5774b06266d.jpg 4a351b2339ab4d509c5a3fad9ccc5841.jpg

12. carbking

carbking

There are many different carbs which may be used. You will get different answers from different folks due to their experiences.

If you are referring to putting the engine in the Econoline, do you have a height issue?

Do you use real gasoline, or must you use ethanol contaminated fuel?

Carter made the W-1 (manual choke) and WA-1 (automatic choke) carbs for engines of this size. Both have LEATHER accelerator pumps which are totally impervious to ethanol.

As mentioned in my previous post, the Carter YF has a neopreme pump, so OK for a daily driver and ethanol, but will give issues in a vehicle rarely driven and ethanol.

The Zenith type 228 originally came with a metal pump (again, impervious to ethanol).

The Stromberg B series (BXV, BXOV) came with leather pumps.

Others may suggest the Holley 1904/1920. Personally, not my favorite because of diaphragm pumps, and warping bowls.

Other single barrel carbs made in the USA include the Rochester B and the Autolite 1100.

To give more than generic (above) suggestions:

Height issue?
    Fuel type?
    Is the engine built stronger than stock?
    Center to center spacing on mounting studs on your existing manifold?
    Do you wish manual choke or automatic choke?
    Is the engine going in the Econoline?
    Transmission manual or automatic?

Jon.

13. that is a lot of useful information Jon,Thanks for taking the time to read and share it.
    I just want the econoline to drive on its own for now but would love to use as a daily driver....I need it to run so I can make sure the rest of the other components work as they should...
    I'll try to the questions:

Height issue?• No,the econoline already has a 200 in it.

Fuel type? •I use 89 unleaded but I'm sure it has ethanol.

Is the engine built stronger than stock?•engine is stock I believe.

Center to center spacing on mounting studs on your existing manifold?
    •i can measure that next weekend when im in front of the van.

Do you wish manual choke or automatic choke?
    • I believe manual choke is best.

Is the engine going in the Econoline?
    •the engine I picked up,is going in the econoline IF it's a 200 and it runs as I was told.

Transmission manual or automatic?
    •3 speed,3 on the tree...
    Tia

14. carbking

carbking

Based on your answers, ASSUMING the manifold spacing center to center is 2 11/16 inches, my choice would be a Carter type W-1 420s. 483s or 574s could also be used, but my choice would be the 420s.

These are excellent carburetors, and almost as common as dirt, so not expensive if you can do your own rebuilding. Parts, while not available at your FLAPS, are common through mail order.

Jon.

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

It has been my experence carburators with vacuum controlled power enrichments systems are easyer to tune.

16. thanks guys for you replies,,
    the carburetor in the new acquired 6er is wont fit my 200,the spacing is too sclose...im going to look into a new carter w1 420...
    the carb in the 200 seems to have the numbers YF6245S

17. Jon,wasnt the carter w1 used on chevies??
    will they fit a ford 200?
    tia

18. carbking

carbking

Tia - Carter made hundreds of different type YF carbs, some of which were used by Chevrolet.

The YF 6245s was used on a Ford 240 6 cylinder.

Carter did make a few type YF carbs for the 200; check my website to see which ones.

Jon.

egads likes this.