Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5,000 Miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I was driving my truck yesterday to pick up a dresser for the wife and noticed I had passed the 5,000 mile mark since assembly. When I put this speedo in, I "zeroed" it out at 63,000 for a starting point, as I didn't want to go all the way to zero, and that was the nearest thousand. It reads just shy of 68,000 now, and taking into account all the driving I've done with the speedo unhooked or inop for one reason or another, I'm at least a couple hundred miles over 5k.

I'm happy to report the truck performs very well. I was cruising at 75-80 mph on the highway yesterday and the only issue I can report is a harmonic resonance from a wheel out of balance at about 65-72. The 59AB purrs like a kitten, and I love the Columbia out back.

Who's been racking up the miles on their ride? I know @squirrel gets his time in behind the wheel. :D

Mike

IMG_20200619_084438.jpg

2. Are you still planning a trip to Northwest Deuce Days in the future?

Phil

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where do you drive 75-80?

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  4. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Yessir! My original co-driver and I are still planning to go up to Alaska for the Alcan rally in 2022, so I'm putting together a list of other attractions to hit around the same time. Since I don't have to spend quite so much time on the truck this time, I aim to do a bit more planning about the trip itself.

Michigan expressway speed limits are 70, and I don't know how CA is, but around here people don't stop at the limit. :cool:

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The Interstates are made for making time. If you don't go at least 75, might as well get in the right lane with the septic trucks cause you'll get run over. Or take the scenic byways and do a different kind of trip. My little red truck turned 40K this year (10th year on the road) but I doubt it will get much more anytime soon.

pprather likes this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm sorry, I could not resist...

Boryca likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my experience that is not true. I drive from California to Florida on Interstate 10 every year to visit my daughter and her family and the normal speed is 70 or slightly over. I pass hundreds of trucks while I’m driving under 75. I keep my truck at 1800 rpm which is 71-2 and yes cars go by at 75-80 but it’s not the normal I’ve seen even when the limit is 75.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Florida and Georgia drivers are faster.

9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Nicely broken in. ;)

gnichols likes this.
  10. I'm liking two lane blacktop more all the time Have been working out a few small problems on my '40 Chevy after a 5 year "restoration". Have run a couple hundred miles and haven't hit the x-way yet.

11. birdman1

birdman1

I like the gravel and dirt roads here in ioway, no cops, and I get to practice my dirt track cornering

12. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I tell you what, two-lane is the way to go. Unless I'm headed states away, I find myself on those much more often these days.

klawockvet likes this.