Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are any of your high School friends still involved with Hot Rods & Customs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three that I know of are still into early cars. One has had a 55 Chevy for years but doesn't take it out much because both he and his wife aren't that healthy. One is involved in car actives but I think the car he has is a few years ot and has a running horse on the front. The other has a hord of 55/57 Chevy convertibles that he has had for up to 50 years and had never and will never do anything with and his nieces or nephews will have a sale of what is left some day.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The "A" to "Q" is a bit sad,as many have passed away. But we had 60,61,1962 n 63 class's of about 1000 kids each class at Miami Sr. High ,an two car club's.
    Out of the many we had,only Bob W.,Pete K.,Rob B.,Steve R.,Gene M. ,Ralph W.and Me are still around that I know of.
    THE BEST SCHOOL IN USA
    In 1960, Miami Senior High School captured the state and mythical national championship.**** The Stingarees played their home games at the Orange Bowl, Rivalry games against Coral Gables and Edison High drew more than 30,000 fans. Miami High was led by head coach Ottis Mooney ,and in 63 was undefeated the hole year !!

I'm 77 be 78 sept..
    Bob W. ,Gene M. an I still have old cars,but have moved too far away to get together any more.
    One good thing is,I still drive the same hot rod I did in high school,so this passed March 8th,at a car show{last one I did}
    This guy comes up to me,"Hay! are you Barlow "The Bat? I know this hot rod! It was at Miami Sr High in the 60's. "!
    "Yes",I said,so he said "I'm Ralph West !" me"Holy cow,how ya been West-O." Lot BS happened. Lost track after high school tell march 8, 2020. We both did pinstriping in high school,but were a year apart grade wise.

If your from a small town/school,it could be a little hard to know about big high schools. My high school had around 4000+ kids there per day two shifts,,10th,11th,12th.
    [​IMG]
    Homecoming Miami High.

Here a small part of main building and there were 4 parts.
    Here is the main enterince with the road out front,our parking was on other side of road. School did not have AC,just fans. Never had AC tell collage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Driver50x, raven, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Good year to have graduated from high school!! My year too

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  4. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yep only a few for me,the rest that I know of like you said are on to Golf ,the lake etc.and of the few I think myself and one other actually build their stuff

3W JOHN, dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. I left Hobbs NM the day after graduation and have not really looked back. The cars we were into in the mid 80 are not HAMB cars. I am a young guy by some of the HAMB guys standers.

6. Graduating class had 29 in it. Before the dust settled in the parking lot, you could see 29 sets of tire tracks going in 29 different directions. Don't know about the rest, but I never looked back. I had things to do.

dana barlow, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I graduated in 63, although I know a couple of friends I graduated with have had cars over the years none were hardcore and no builders. Kind of funny that I had a chance to visit with the guy who really started my addiction when he drove up in the most beautiful 40 tudor I had seen. Red, dropped axle, hot flathead, white roll and pleat interior. After that he had a 41 tudor with a hot 283 that he street raced. During our first year of college he bought a hot 57 Chevy. After that I lost track of him. When we met recently I found out he never had another special car after the 57. I asked if he had a picture of the red 40, he said nope because he never liked it. I was shocked. I have owned several 40’s because of his red tudor and he didn’t like it. I think one aspect that was different was that his Dad was a doctor so money was not a problem for him. Myself, on the other hand, depended on what limited funds I could earn. I can still see the 40 tudor clearly all these years later.

Legends47, 47ragtop, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

Graduated in 1974. There was a group of about 15 of us that hung out in the auto shop. Only know where about 4 or 5 of them are now, and most of them have a different picture of "old cars" then I do, but are still involved, in their own way.
    My best bud in HS happens to be my wife's brother, he and his wife are still doing cars, but they have the Vipers and Hellcats and such. My wife also has 4 other younger brothers that were into cars in their teenage years. Two of the 4 other brothers are still into cars, one has a modified 80s Dodge pickup, and the other has had a few different cars, but his current one is also a Hellcat.
    Apparently, they were saving money while I was using my money to build cars. Gene

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to my 50th in our avatar. Most remembered my moms black 56 Victoria I drove on dates. 2 of my friends still have old cars and one of them has 10. He lives in Ventura and came to OC and we had lunch...

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I graduated in 1967 and all my close friends got killed in Vietnam because they were too poor to go college and dodge the draft.
    I got lucky and knocked up my first ex and got a deferment. we got divorced and she turned me into the draft board and I got drafted but some reason they sent me to Germany when the heavy stuff was going on. I went to Nam at the tail end and never went the field. got assigned to mortuary duty.
    Don't go back home so don't know if anybody is into cars or not.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I dunno. I graduated in 1977, got married in 1978 and moved to the other side of the county, we had 5 year reunion in 1982 where about half of our class of 22 showed up, haven’t seen most of them since then. Have ran into a couple of them over the years, but they were busy working and raising families like I was. Was friends with a few of them on Facebook, then it hit me one day, I wasn’t that close to them when I was in school, why should I call them friends now when I hadn’t seen most of them in 40+ years? I unfriended them, figured if they were really friends they might call or come by sometime, nope, didn’t happen.

My hot rod friends now are a few local guys, mostly older than me. But basically living in a semi truck the last 35 years, I don’t have a lot of friends since I’m not around much. I jokingly say that’s the main reason I’m not divorced, I’m not home for her to fuss with me!

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and trollst like this.
  12. Funny you should ask. Today I accidentally butt dialed my best friend in High school ['62-'66] He built a killer 38 chevy with a hot dog 324 Olds/B&M Hydro while we were going to high school . Now a days he messes with his Dodge Dually with upgraded turbo and propane injection. Then my buddy, Danny has the same black 55 chevy he's had forever . Another guy, Dave had a fast T-bucket but he passed away a few years back. John has a T-bucket too.
    Ken still plays with cars...58 bel air mild custom, 55 ford sedan, 60 falcon ranchero... All of 'em still live in Oregon so I seldom get any one on one time with them.

13. Most are dead - died early - Tom and Mike got ran off the road in Tom's 1951 Ford truck just before the start of our senior year in 1974 although Mike did live through it. It was at a spot where they were building the new highway at the end of the service road. Had to drive by it every night on the way home in the coming months as I moved out of the house that September and although it was the long way around to home in my Studebaker truck - I didn't want the short cut and the chance to be pulled over by a small town cops in between - I got off work at 11pm - so I was always coming home about mid-night. Ricky would roll his Mercury over and over but lucky all would survive to drive again except Ricky - he's been in a wheelchair ever since. Paul would go next at 19 of an enlarged heart - something that ran in his family but the doctor's were just beginning to understand. I could go on about my bud's that died of broken hearts - Eddie's wife left him early at 20 with two baby girls and he raised his two girls through his twenties with help from his sister - when the ex-wife came back in the picture when his girls were 10yrs and 8yrs old and got custody.....that was the shits.........Eddie wasn't a drug addict - just a hard working mechanic ! Have a few still in the fight for survival though and so far winning the fight with cancer.

Really miss my high school buds but I'm sure that's who rides my shoulder and keeps me going on !

F-ONE, raven, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know one guy from my class still likes old cars. I think it's one of the few things that interests him. Hardly goes anywhere. Most free time he gets is spent in the garage messing with old junk or checking the classifieds for car parts made of gold for the price of scrap or hanging out on some hot rod site on the internet.

15. toml24

toml24

I graduated in 1974. At least 1 of our teachers was a car guy (or gal). Picture of Avanti was taken during photography class in 1974 at Aviation high School in Redondo Beach, CA.
    1974-Studebaker Avanti.jpg

stillrunners, raven, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

I graduated in 1968. Most of my HS buddies are still messing around with cars and mostly H.A.M.B. friendly stuff not muscle cars. A few have passed away. Everyone has more than one old car and one has a warehouse with probably two dozen old cars in it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have/had some friends from racing that go back to 1970 and a few funny, IMO stories. Picture this, we driving in a caravan of 3 Chevy vans pulling Midgets on open trailers going to a track none of had been to. My race track book locator got us close but on a dead in road, could see road we needed, we're near the track, So........ with me leading, we drive through a farmers yard (abandoned) short trip through field to the road, up/through the ditch onto highway and to racetrack, I heard about that for years. Another trip, always hustling, 85/90 mph, running late, a fellow racer blows by and a tear off comes out his window, got a good laugh from that, used that one myself and always was good for laughs/conversion at track. My HS 50 year reunion was 2016, had to miss, a family health issue, but noticed that my class of 425 had only 200 survivors located, a lot of VietNam war deaths in that 225, Again makes me remember, I'm Lucky and Grateful to be here

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

There were not a lot of gearheads at my school. Of the ones I ran with, maybe 2-3 are still building cars.

19. X-cpe

X-cpe

Moved to Hawaii for my senior year. Graduated in June '63 and three weeks later was headed for Basic. Folks moved to the D.C. area while I was in, so when I got out, I thought, "Never been there before." Been here ever since. Never been back to California or Hawaii.

20. I saw a old high school buddy today and he had a nice yellow '55 Chevy in high school, it had a black 64 Impala interior, 327 / 4 speed transmission and black American 5 spoke mags, he sold that car years ago and got deep into Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Several years ago he bought a 1932 Ford 3 window and was content with it for a while but sold it to a fellow Hamber and hasn't had a old car since. HRP

3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  21. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

There are 5 of us that went to school together and still into cars. Graduated in 65. We all live in different towns but within 300 miles. We meet up at Car events several times a year. This year is a bummer but still have managed to have our own little events. One is still driving and wrenching a Top Alcohol Dragster. My best pal and I have Happy Hour via phone a couple times a week. You can make new friends but making new Old Friends is not possible. Hang on to them.

raven, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. That is a beautiful car. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  23. 34Larry

34Larry

Not many still around. A kid named Merle was into A's and T's. (we graduated in '57, sixty three years ago the 9th of this month). He was the only one into cars and he was at our 60th with his current A that he drove to graduation in. Most other "guy's were into sports and chasing skirts.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  24. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Robert was in our high school car club and is still driving the same 1950 Mercury he had when he was a teenager.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Photogs189

Photogs189

Since 1984 We hold a cruise night every Friday during the summer except for this year.

Myself and my H.S. friend belong to the club and 2 other H.S. friend attended
    with their cars. We graduated in 1964 and still going.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Yep.....we dreamed about cars all through Elementary to High School...still talk personally or text everyday...share a building with our cars....same club...some of his and some of mine...
    AA55C415-EBD3-4667-9ABC-A81851CF972B.jpeg F8F52B26-FE7D-4C39-9ADA-4F5A0E64AEB5.jpeg A455738C-DEB1-4B74-BF1F-57A415394B49.jpeg F514B1F2-6FE5-42E1-B731-D207A2D349CA.jpeg

2bubbas, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. [​IMG]

Your Shasta or your friends? HRP

MO54Frank likes this.
  28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm probably on the young side for this thread at 35, graduating in high school in 2002. Pretty much all of my friends that were into cars then are still into cars now. One of my good buds from high school was always into modding late models and is still doing it. But my rod and custom friends are mostly all still at it to varying degrees. Most of us have child seats in the back of our cars now, and we still see each each other often for not only car shows, but kids birthdays and play dates, too. Which is cool because it not only gives us an excuse to get the cars out, but for our wives to make friends with other friends' wives, as well. For the people that are truly in it, I don't think it really ever leaves you. It's just something you do, like breathing.

HOTRODPRIMER and raven like this.
  29. dan griffin

dan griffin

I did but they are all pushing up daisies.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. As one of the really young group on here (class of 2010), it was pretty common in my class to not have a license. I was one a few that actually got my permit on my 15th birthday and my license on my 16th. There was a few of us that were car guys. I was the only one that wanted to play around with hot rods and customs. If anyone was into old stuff it was 60s muscle cars, which I am as well, but most were into VW bugs or import tuners. A buddy had a 72 C10 and still has it, another is now big into VW bugs and building drift cars, the other have gotten out of it, but I am still neck deep and loving it, lol