Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 ford truck nose on a 33 coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33highboy, Mar 13, 2017.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'd go for a Thames... Gary

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Normally they take about 3" out of the grille to make it look good. This one looks too fat to me but maybe it's the angle of the photo.

image.jpg
    34poteetrbpp.jpg
    Jim Hendricks did this one for Poteet's roadster.

17425055_1449229785108555_808023533624041644_n.jpg
    Personally, I prefer the stock 33 grille and it's less costly than a 37 modified truck grille shell.

alfin32, mgtstumpy and exterminator like this.
  3. If we're saving money, a 33 or 34 ford isn't the best choice.
    Just the Interior garnish and a grill is enough dough for an entire running driving car of different type.

If I were doing a deep channeled car ,,,,
    First choice I'd do the fordson or carve up a 37 truck and fit it like a fordson
    Second choice is I'd do a 35 ford grill
    I'd stay far away from the stock grill and the 32 grill.

On a car without much of a channel it's for sure going to be the stock grill.
    I get very torn between running inner fenders or pinching and raking the frame to follow the hood.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  4. Is There any Articles of a 'How to Narrow a 1937 Ford Pickup Grill' ? How much was Taken out from the Center of the Grill? I think Jake's Grill, The Original Builder only took out the Center Divider Vertical Grill bar, & Welded it back together. Is this Correct? I Think the Major Reason Jakes Coupe 37 Pickup Grill was narrowed that width , was due to his Coupe, Originally being Full Fender Car. There's a Article in Rod & Custom about 2009, installing a E83W 1937-1947 Thames Grill, & making a Hood for the 34 3-W Coupe. They didn't narrow the Grill. I've see Photo's over the last 40 Odd Years, & Some that goes back to 40, 50's at the Lakes, with 37 Ford Pickup Grills. If I remember Correctly, there Seems to be difference of 'How much was taken out of the Center of the Grills' . Of, course that was looking at B&W Photo's, using a Magnifying Glass to look at the very Old Small Pictures, in Rod Magazines. I remember one Picture, light colored 34 Roadster HiBoy W/37 Pickup Grill, the Grill didn't look like it was Narrowed, but Stock width. Car was in Calif., I think the Guy's Last name was (Crain?) Sharpe looking Roadster! Another was a 34-3W Coupe HiBoy in the Lakes Pics, Front Photo Shot, in Calif. 40's, 50's Time era. Can anyone Remember any Cars Ran at the Lakes, Memory of these Cars Built in Car Clubs, find any Pictures of early Lakes Cars? Any old Timers have any Information about Jake Morgan, or his family, Car Club members, or information as to the Various Transformation in building his Roadster? Ex. Stock body Hight when car was Red, then Channeled when Yellow, on April of 1951, Hot Rod Mag. In between that time while it was Red, he added a Very Large Exhaust Chrome Pipe going out Center of the Hood Side dropping down to the side of the Frame Rails to back of Door. Does any body know, what Gauges, were used over the Various different Build Years, And the Chassis Components thur the Years? I know this is a lot to ask Guys, for a Roadster 65, Plus Years! But, if I didn't ask, We'd wouldn't Never Know. Thanks BigDTexasKid (903) 952-1933.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

True that. I dove into my '34 without doing much homework (aside from looking at photos of old Rod & Custom and Street Rodder of cars I liked) and quickly found the little trinket parts that weren't perfect, or even "good enough" that came with it were STUPID expensive (for my budget anyway) to replace.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... if you get outside of this group a '37 truck grill is not made of unobtainium...
    $300.00 seems to be about the price for a "needs a little work" shell....
    farmer doesn't look at the '37 shell the same way we do... probably smokes his hams on one...
    local bonneville salt car was in a fire, burned the garage flat... a little phonework revealed that that is the garage where the Thames/ Fordson grill i had chopped was resting, till it melted...

7. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

8. Hendee

Hendee

Just found this thread after starting my own. Picked up a 38 Thames grill recently. Even has the stock Thames bullnose that a 32 Ford emblem will pop into. Should make a cool track nose. Love the look of the same grille on Jussi Luntamo's 34-5w.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

alfin32, mrharley51, MO_JUNK and 8 others like this.
  9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Congrats on that!!!!! Wouldn't mind finding one myself!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Hendee

Hendee

I will keep my eyes peeled for another one. You never know.

Stogy and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  11. micksmith

micksmith
    from australia

12. I’ve got a ‘NOS’ Thames Grill Shell. Purchase 5 Years ago off EBay for $500.00 Plus Shipping. No, I can’t sell it. I only mention it, to say keep an eye out on eBay. I’ve done a item search on eBay with my Apple S-6 Iphone. It notified me & I purchased it from England. Shipping Coast was very Reasonable. $60.00 ? I need all the S/S Trim. W/Badge Ford Script Emblem.

13. Tom, I’m not married, no Kids, that I know of..., I’m Hot Rod Crazy, all my Friends are Hot Rodders 15 years older than I, a notebook of 40+ years of buying, Searching, log books, etc, (trucker) & a Apple S-6, I-Phone Of Names, dates, Hot Rods & part’s & Information, etc.... A Items list on my I-Phone. I was a Data Communication Engineer for Texas Instruments With Top Secret Clearance. I could persevere any objective to gain access whether it working in Ti’s Black OP’s or tracking down ole Hot Rods & Parts!

Atwater Mike and Hendee like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF8586.JPG I'm almost 68, too old to figure out how to use and afford a cell phone, but I know were the box of old Hot Rod magazines is. Great looking car, grille looks uncut to me. Bob

15. Yes!, but I’m keeping it, around 2008, I saw a Ad on eBay from England. I purchased a NOS E83W 1937-1947 Thames Grill Shell. But, I’m needing the S/S Grill Shell Trim. It was listed for $500.00. I’m a Former Texas Instruments Data Communications Engineer. I programmed my I-Phone for Search for the Thames Grill Shell. As, Soon as it Popped, Up! I purchased it. If you’ll send me your email, I’ll take a Picture Of it & send you a Copy. My email is [email protected] or [email protected]
    H.A.M.B: BigDTexasKid (903) 952-1933 CST anytime: Day/Nite Left MSG.

16. Rob Magnus

Rob Magnus

Here's mine also in New Zealand but this is a 37 Ford grill not a Thames on my 34 roadster!

Attached Files:

• R28.JPG
      R28.JPG
      File size:
      177.1 KB
      Views:
    clem, kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^ Nerf bar looks great! bob

clem likes this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

19. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

image.jpg.37grille.jpg
    Everybody sez narrow it, but mine fit just fine with stock width and looks proportionate

akoutlaw, hfh and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Grille looks fine. It would be great to see pictures of your whole car.....

akoutlaw likes this.
  21. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I agree!

22. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

OK...not all done but getting there, flattie, five speed, don't ever try this, nothing fits when you shorten a fordor, then make long doors by grafting rear of rears to front of fronts! IMG_2934.JPG

gnichols, RMR&C, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  23. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Very nice!! I like your ‘thinking outside the box’. Any pictures from other angles?

24. I have a nice Thames grill and was wondering if anyone has put or seen one on a '32?

And to answer the question for LHD Thames, they were here in Canada thats for sure.

-Shiny

25. 22 track

22 track

alfin32 and 29EHV8 like this.
  26. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bob... At the tender age of 14, I learned about 'how to move your wheels outward to clear the fat body of a channeled '34!' Thanks to HRM, which I had every copy of 'til I lost them in the trunk of my '56 Crown Vic which was stolen from my apartment! (between marriages)
    The magazines were stolen in '66, but the wheel trick was taken with me to San Jose Tech, (1959) where I started my 'Dumped Rim' biz in high school: Got graded on excellence on rehabbed wheels, welding and re-entry.
    Ford & Merc centers, Merc outers, Buick/Olds outers, all reversed, with the TAPER.
    Inset wheels with generic aftermarket stepped rim types (chrome) would enter the stores chromed, out the door, no exchange. Nerd wheels.
    Hot rods had painted dumps, with baldie caps.

bowie likes this.
  28. I purchased a NOS 1937-1947 E83W Grill off evilBay for $500.00 US$$$ + Shipping from England, Back In 2008. I program my I-Phone to do a Search for Grill E83W. & It popped up one Day. A buddy said that I’d been on there for a Few Days. I was a OTR Driver Up in the Rocky Mountains On I-70, Coming Down To Denver, then back to Dallas. I kept loosing signal. Man, was I finally Happy when I was able to Buy It Now Price. Need to find the
    S/S Grill Trim. BigDTexasKid