Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What year did it change?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 10, 2020.

1. A local guy here in town that went by the name of "Watermelon" had one in High School, he spent a bunch of money on that engine and supposedly installed a marine head and a ton of hop up goodies in the engine, that Chevy II screamed and out ran a lot of hot shoes in this town. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

in high school, I had a 63 Chevy II 2 dr sedan, I also had a 63 Nova that was a hardtop

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. This is the Chevy II that was left to me by a cousin, I pulled the locked up 327, sleeved two of the cylinders and installed it in my Deuce pickup, I have a 283 that I intended ti use in the car.

Unfortunately, I had to sell it to pay off some unexpected hospital bills, a decision I regret to this day. HRP

Mvc-635s.jpg

3W JOHN and Nova Thug like this.
  4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It seems that Chevy No Va in Mexico but Can So in Canada.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Younger generation has that affliction of not understanding what a Deuce is, and call the Chevy II's deuces! And Nova's were not Spanish cars and the performance ones did just that.....perform!

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had a 67 2 door hardtop with a 66 front clip. Something else shiney caught my eye, and I sold it. Regretted getting rid of that one myself.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

How many have seen a 68 Chevy 11 Nova Custom with a 327-325 hp. What a little sleeper. I bought one off a used car lot in Colorado Springs when I was stationed at Ft. Carson.
    Couldn't get much street action with my big block Camaro so I picked that one up . I could get all the street races I wanted with that plain Jane sleeper.
    It had a 12 bolt with a 3.73 posi and a HD 3 speed manual on the floor with a factory shifter and a bench seat. There was no engine size designation on the outside.

pitman, wheeldog57, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I would like to get an Acadian grille for a ‘62/‘65 .

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn rare car too, VERY collectable, something many people don't know is that is an L-79.
    The 325 hp engines were the same engine as the 350 hp, just had a cast iron intake and a Rochester Quadrajet instead of the aluminum intake and Holley carburetor.

Check this out.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1968-chevrolet-nova-is-the-last-call-for-the-powerful-l79-package/

3W JOHN, olscrounger and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

There are some guys who say that the log exhaust manifolds used in '68, rather than previous years rams horns also made some of that difference.

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one from a dealer in 63. It was from the Carson Water Department. 2 door, no radio, 3 speed, custom 100 on the rear quarters, light green with a white top. Quickly got a 283 4-speed and 4.56gears. Later a Rochester FI so I could run AHRA Formula 4 B Hot Rod at Lions.

Fordors, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. The earlier models had such a nice simple look and made great little hot rods. HRP

3W JOHN, Nova Thug and olscrounger like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Right you are Danny
    Posted this on the ChevyII thread but in case anyone here cares.............
    There is an original bone stock, brown 62-65 (I don't know the trim, grill differences in the first gen. models) Nova two door sedan (post) around here, appears to be a daily driver as I've seen a middle aged lady driving it in all seasons.
    It is so perfect, brown wheels and dog dish hubcaps, six cyl fender emblems, etc.
    Always leaves me befuddled when I see it because the hot rodder in me envisions all the things I could do to it but it is so perfect I'm not sure I could bring myself to cut it up.
    :confused: Who am I kidding, if I owned this car, it wouldn't be long and it would be in pieces just like my 67:mad:.

pitman, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Not only that but you would have 4 projects not running instead of 3. :rolleyes: HRP

3W JOHN and Blue One like this.
  15. raymay

raymay

I checked my Sixty Years of Chevy history book and found in 62 when they introduced this Senior Compact version they called Chevy II, they still called the Sport Coupe, Model #0437 a Nova Series. It continued each year into the 70's with mostly their higher priced series Cars and Wagons they called Chevy II Nova.

16. I agree, but did you know Nova in Spanish means " No go ", could be a good reason why they didn't sell well in Mexico. HRP

3W JOHN and Blue One like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, it's a curse!

18. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I learned to drive in a '64 Chevy II. Had a 68 Chevy II with a super clean body. I think that was the last year of the II badging. I was into Camaros at the time and sold it.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and GordonC like this.
  19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Urban legend. "Nova" in Spanish has the same meaning as Nova in English, an astronomical event.
    In order for Nova to mean "not going" in Spanish, there needs to be a space between "no" and "va," two separate words.
    No va means "not going."
    The Nova sold very well in Mexico and Venezuela.

63fdsnr, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

What was the biggest engine available in a 1964 Chevy II?

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Largest engine was a 283
    Engine-Specs-3.jpg

2015-09-01_15-44-41-640x427.jpg

alfin32 likes this.
  22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Again...close (some of you).

In 1968...the little car known as the Chevy II, or the Nova, or the Chevy II Nova...was a "Chevy II"..!

NO...Nova branding on that year car. Check the Chevrolet books.

Mike

23. raymay

raymay

Checked a book I have again Mike and in 68 the Chevy II did have the Nova 114 Coupe and Super Sport model 11427, Nova 111 Sport Coupe model 11127, 4door Sedan model 11469 and the Nova 113 4door model 11369. Images in the reference book and if you check online images, you will see several of these cars with the Nova script on the rear quarter panels.

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

All i know is i worked with a guy who had a new 66 Nova 327 lots a horsepower 2 dr ht.
    One ride & this Ford guy fell in love.....what awesome cars !

25. The Nova was the top of the Chevy II lineup. You could buy a Chevy II Nova until '68 when he Chevy II moniker was dropped.

Sound like I pulled that from a book? I may have maybe even a book that I contributed to. :D

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

More than likely a 327/350 hp, one of the most "storied" cars of the era.

27. jnaki

jnaki

“There was a lot of debate within the Chevrolet organization over just what to call this new car, and the decision to go with "Chevy II" was a very late one. Among the finalists was Nova. It lost out because it didn't start with a "C," but was selected as the name for the top-of-the-line series. Ultimately the Nova badge would replace Chevy II, but that wouldn't happen until 1969. The Chevy II nameplate was dropped after 1968, with Nova becoming the nameplate for all of the 1969 through 1979 models.”

Hello,

It was the fall of 1961 and the new cars were out at the local car dealers in Long Beach. Most of our friends, by this time period had their hot rod cars. One of our friends had lots of money saved up and wanted to buy a cool car. He saw the 58 Chevy Impala, the 57 Bel Air hardtop, 56 Chevy, a 55 2 door sedan and saw some high powered Chevy sedans with new motor, 409. He liked how fast our cars were, sitting inside of some of the races on Cherry Avenue drags, and encounters on long cruises during our school vacations. He was a big guy and always handy to have around, just in case.

We all tried to get him interested in the 409 Chevy sedan. Money was no object, so we told him we would teach him to drive the 4 speed stick shift. We saw several at the local Chevy dealers near our high school. He was impressed, as were we. In looking at those 409 powered sedans, my 58 was no match, so I was wondering, what if… My friend always liked my Impala and his parents like it, too. They were always impressed with how clean it was every time I drove over to their house. So, they did know my Impala. Sell my friend the 58 Impala and then buy a new 409 Chevy sedan sounded good to me.

My friend like my Impala and it now had the C&O Stick Hydro, so shifting was not going to be a problem. He knew how fast my Impala was having been with me on several teenage, winning encounters. I was also ready to go back to a stick shift and who would not like a 409 for more power? We talked for several days off and on about the new cars versus buying a used car, like my Impala. If he bought my car, the Impala was already pristine, tuned to perfection, relatively trouble free and we could always keep it tuned when necessary.

Jnaki

After countless hours of discussion and visits to many new car dealers, he made his choice. A brand new Chevy II coupe in a cool shade of root beer. His favorite drink. The car had skinny white walls, a 4 cylinder motor, auto transmission and when the windows were all rolled down, an open air scene that looked like my Impala with the windows rolled down. Well, almost.

Immediately I asked him why? His parents like the idea of buying my Impala, but they wanted a new car for their son. He actually did not want a new 409, although he would have jumped to the top of the heap with the 62 Chevy 409 against all of us older Chevy owners.
    upload_2020-7-29_3-59-15.png upload_2020-7-29_3-59-48.png
    The color is listed as maroon, but in real sunlight, it was a Root Beer, brownish color.

The Chevy II was smaller than our big sedans. His 4 cylinder motor was not much more powerful than a stock Flathead, which made the Chevy II slow and plodding. At the time, he did not care if it was slow and plodding. It was a new car, had the new car smell and it was his. Sure, he tried the Cherry Avenue course many times. It was a chuckle and a hoot comparing the acceleration of the 4 cylinder power to the 300 hp plus of the 58 Impala. we found out later that he could have special ordered a V8 from the local dealer, but would have to wait months. His was in the driveway, now!

When he drove the car, being 6’ 2 inches, the car became slightly lower. With 3 other big 6 footers inside, it was now a new lowered Chevy from the factory. Those springs and shocks were not the most heavy duty versions and instantly, it was a lowrider Chevy. He got several notices from the local police about lowered cars and safety. But as soon as the big teenagers got out of the Chevy II, it was back up to the normal legal factory height. So, no tickets on just about every time he/we got stopped.

It gave off the low, custom look when driving around the restaurant parking lots. No Friday/Saturday night drag races for this car. If the motor was “revved” up in the drive-in restaurant parking lot, no one turned around. It was a chuckle, hearing the 4 cylinder motor. If he did race, our other friend had a 6 cylinder 1953 Chevy 2 door hardtop and that, became a race. It was a slow one at that. The race was one where everyone in each car was making a “scooting forward” motion to get the car going faster. Ha! Ha !
    upload_2020-7-29_4-0-44.png similar, but not the one

A windows down, hardtop, cruiser for all adventures, even with a 9 foot 6 inch surfboards with a red flag, stuck in the trunk. Yes, the rear seat back was taken out, as he did not want racks on his new paint.

echo ed likes this.
  28. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

C7867F22-8F0F-4B61-89D2-AB749D199647.png Windows all down..

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    72yenkonova likes this.
  29. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i thought the name was spanish...