Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Motor Manuals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jun 14, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

When I was a kid, I was very hungry for any kind of knowledge about cars. My Dad, who is not a car guy, but knows how to repair anything, had 3 Motor manuals. When I found what they were all about, I could not put them down. The information available to kids today is immense, but those Motor manuals were like manna from heaven. I now have 3 of my own, my Dad STILL won't give his up, and he doesn't work on cars at all any more!

4. atch

atch

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have three, covering from '35 through '50 something.
    The one with masking tape on the binding I've had for at least 48 years.
    I do have a couple Chilton's too but rarely open any of them.
    Most repair work I've done enough to get through without them.
    For technical stuff I use shop manuals, mostly Oldsmobile and mostly reference engines.

IMG_20200615_183435.jpg

Unique Rustorations and warbird1 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

In addition to that 1953 Motors manual, I have another from later in the 50s, and a bunch of Chiltons, and even more factory shop manuals.

When I'm playing on the computer, and need to look up something in a Chevy manual, I usualy just go to chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com

7. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

tb33 I see you have a McMaster Carr book in your pile. To me there as invaluable as some of the repair manuals.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RidgeRunner, warbird1 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. ras

ras

How about a Motor Age Flat Rate Manual. I dug this out last night to post some part numbers for a 49 Plymouth bushing question. As I stated in the other post, don't look for anybody to honor these prices

Rick Flat Rate.jpg 41Ply.jpg

9. Manuals b.JPG Manuals a.JPG Manuals.JPG These pictures are about 3/4 of my manuals ranging from 1938 to 1999. Service manuals, parts and time guides and some other odds and ends. I also have a collection of factory service manuals and other Motor Manuals at home and in my home shop. Manuals b.JPG

Oops, got one picture in there twice :)

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

11. I have numerous Motors and other specialty manuals like Carter and Rochester that I got from my grandfather. He had a service garage in the 50s, so they are well used for most part. Fun to read and see all the manufacturers that are long gone.
    I have used the manuals occasionally on my own old cars. But for most part they just have sentimental value to me.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

stillrunners likes this.
  12. sunbeam

sunbeam

The new shop manuals have to much to cover In 1960 Chevy had a inline 6 a 283 a 348 and a Corvair 6. How many different engines carry a Chevy badge today?

13. Flat rates are great also - in addition to the same info - you get part numbers !

14. Yes, the parts and time guides are a wealth of information. On occasion I've been able to give a parts person a part number that allowed them to order parts for me that had been said to be obsolete. Also great for determining what all will fit something else.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  15. carbking

carbking

I believe I have a complete set of the Motors Car manuals, plus most of the truck manuals as well; all of which need a new home with some enthusiast much younger than I.

Have always believed in having the information necessary to do the job. However, personal libraries take space!

If one is into older vehicles, National Service Manuals are even better than Motors (opinion), and have much earlier coverage.

Jon

16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There was a company in San Diego on Marina Blvd. that published flat rate books going back to the Model T days. Anybody have more info? While looking for info, I came across this web site...check out the prices!!

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/134522

6-bangertim likes this.
  17. Glen Vassallo

Glen Vassallo

I only have these but would love to have more. 20200629_144734.jpg

18. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

There was a company in San Diego on Marina Blvd. that published flat rate books going back to the Model T days. Anybody have more info? While looking for info, I came across this web site...check out the prices!!

I'm thinking Hollander?