Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Having to work this weekend and not getting a lot done but managed to get my front spring eye bushings out will take my aluminum bar stock over to my buddy's shop so he can chuck them up in his lathe to drill them out so I can press the steel inserts in them so my solid front bushings will cost me 2 dollars a piece and some time. Better than the 50 bucks they want online.
    Still waiting USPS to deliver my pitman arm. Should have been here Thursday.
    Sort of at a standstill waiting on parts. Still scraping paint though.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my pitman arm yesterday and got it installed last night and now it steers .
    My front stuff that I paid for a complete bolt on price for did not come with inner wheel bearings and seals so I took the drums off to check everything out and now I have to buy them. I wish people would not represent something that it is not.
    Just tell me what you are sending me ,not tell me you took it straight off your car and the parts are all new and then find out some of the stuff doesn't fit and other pieces are missing.
    You know who you are if are following this build. I will not mention your name ,but yeah I am a little pissed off.

chryslerfan55, enloe, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

glad the pitman are worked out! so much for "priority" shipping LOL.....as far as your other front end parts go, always be careful of people who are on here only to sell parts and really aren't part of the "community"

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got home from work today and when I was in London, Ky. at the SEGA race I was looking at the other competitors set ups and since relocated rear shocks are legal I decided to build me a shock crossmember to run the shocks straight up and down .
    I will have to build shock mounts to weld to the rear end housing and then mounts to the crossmember that way I can have a larger selection of shocks than just what it available for the stock mounts.
    I might spring for some QA1 adjustable shocks since traction will be limited with the spec tire.
    This class is all about the first 60 feet. You can have 800 hp but if you can't get them little 7 inch Hoosiers to hook up you are not going to win.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Mike,
    You picked a great body style for the class (especially with the goofy engine weight breaks), do you have any restrictions as to the Clutch combination?
    Glenn

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not really as long as it is a single disc setup . I had Spec build me a soft lock clutch and pressure plate so not to shock the tires so hard. It will allow me to leave at a higher rpm and with a little slip designed into the pressure plate it should help my short times.
    It's the same setup that a lot of the small tired Fox body cars run when they have to run a T5 trans.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Doing a little body work today . My wife and I are trying to remove 3 bad paint jobs off the Comet .
    We have the roof scraped off and the roof rack screw holes welded up so we started on the sides. While I was up under the car cutting out the inner fender wells. She was busy with the razor blade and scraper getting it down the primer.
    I decided since I have a fuel cell to remove the original gas cap and filler neck.
    This poor old car has been wrecked and put back together more than once. It must have been fairly new when it was hit on the driver side rear corner. The 1/4 and door got brand new panels from Mercury . you can see the original replacement part numbers on the inside.
    That's why I don't feel bad about cutting it up to make a race car. I feel like I am saving it from the crusher. DSCF3699.JPG DSCF3697.JPG

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wagons Rule !!!
    My Chevy II Wagon was a perfect drag car for many,many,many years. I retired it from drag racing in 2010 and converted it back into my daily driver in 2012, drive it everyday.

I rooting for ya !
    Glenn

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Makes a man smile watching his wife scrape the old paint off his new race car. Right after she went and got her nails done. It was actually cool in Tn. this morning and she said she is tired of getting paint chips down the front of her shirt. DSCF3701.JPG

brEad, chryslerfan55, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  10. Uh, can you send me the info on how you convinced her to help? Lol... just kidding big guy ;) looks like a solid car to me though!! Good looking work :cool:

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

She must be tired of seeing it in the driveway looking like crap. :D

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

No, she is actually excited about getting to go to the SEGA shows with our new race car.
    She is the woman who would rather sit in the stands on a Saturday night and eat a track burger than go to a fancy restaurant . I am blessed.
    When we lived in Florida she planned her work schedule around going to Citrus county speedway to watch pavement racing or Bubba raceway in Ocala to watch the dirt cars.
    It was too far to go to Gainesville for drag racing ,but she did look forward to going to the Gatornationals every year.

brEad, das858, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got some more done last night . I went to a friends house and he used his lathe to square up and bore out my aluminum bushings for my front spring eyes. He left an interference fit so I could bring them home and heat them up with my propane torch and press them in. It worked out well and for 5 bucks and some time I have my solid bushings. DSCF3703.JPG DSCF3704.JPG

14. Ok i figured out how you did it Mike ;) You're a genius :D Screenshot_20200617-142933_Gallery.jpg

scotty t, enloe, brEad and 7 others like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

My wife gave me most her paycheck for fathers day to order parts for the Comet.
    I placed an order last night and the parts should be delivered by Wed. of next week.
    Should start seeing some real progress on the car then.
    Yesterday afternoon was spent taking the rear leaf springs apart to clean the dirt out of the springs and to redrill the holes in the springs to move all of the springs forward on the main leaf. This will increase the stiffness on the front portion of the spring and after I go get some metal to build new spring clamps it should eliminate the need for traction bars when combined with the adjustable pinion snubber I am working on.
    Should have pictures by this afternoon.

chevy57dude, enloe, Thor1 and 7 others like this.
  16. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

In the thread about tire rim screws you posted a picture of your rear wheels. I am looking for some steel wheels for another project. Can you tell me what those wheels came off of?

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your wife is an Angel, God has Blessed you.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I bought them from a guy who had got them from Cokers. They are brand new rims ,but I don't what they are from. They are small bolt pattern Ford 15x7 . I think the original ford part number is still on them . I will look tomorrow.

enloe, thecj3man, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

here is what I got done this afternoon. I made my leaf spring clamps and got my springs installed. The rear end housing dropped right into place.
    I am waiting for rear end housing studs so I can install the chunk . Plus u bolts for the housing so I can design the lower shock mounts.
    The influx of cash into my race car account that my wife made will go a long way to buy the little pieces that I need to get closer to having this thing on wheels and the drivetrain installed. DSCF3705.JPG

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Todays project is to finish out welding the frame connectors under the car and the roll bar tubing that goes from the connectors to the rockers then break out the paint gun and the Rustoleum and spray the whole bottom of the car .
    Then assembly can start . Running brake lines to the rear and fuel lines to the front.
    Ordered swedged tubing and heim joints from Speedway to make shifter linkage . A couple of boxes of small parts should be here by the end of the week. The motor and transmission should be in the car by the first of next week if it doesn't rain me out. I need to get my Easyup out and make me some shade. It's supposed to be 90's and humid later this week.
    So you guys that complain it's hot in your garage, try working in the driveway because your car won't fit in the garage. I have a solar powered garage. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
    It doesn't bother me though at least I am healthy enough to work on the car. 5 years ago when they told me that I was going to have to quit working on cars and have open heart surgery. I figured my building days were over and now they are just beginning.
    We are already planning our next build.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Didn't get as much done as I wanted to yesterday a severe thunder storm came through the area with 60 mph winds and small hail.
    Fortunately no damage, but it put a stop to my work for the day. Hoping to hit it hard this afternoon.

Thor1, enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got some done today. got my shifter linkage done except to swap out some of the bolts with button head bolts for clearance .
    I have the rear end all assembled and ready to install. Trying to get something done between rain storms .The bracket on the pinion support is for the pinion snubber . As soon as I get the rear end in and the u-bolt bracket made I can make the adjustable pinion snubber. DSCF3707.JPG DSCF3710.JPG

Just Gary, Muttley, brEad and 9 others like this.
  23. Looks like race car parts!
    Great stuff.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Me too! But at least I have a top on mine, so I can work when it's raining. Got a fan for hot weather, but when it gets below 50*, my ass is inside unless it's an emergency repair!

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. 6sally6

6sally6

Tell her the "cure-for-that" is take her shirt OFF! Only say that when 10 feet away and she is almost finished scraping!;)
    6sally6.........still following and enjoying!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Thor1 likes this.
  26. 6sally6

6sally6

Rear end look'in good! NO clamps in the back.........just the front of the spring.
    Let that rear half be loose and "work-for-you"!

Thor1 likes this.
  27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I don't know . Looks more like she's thinking , He had better take me to dinner like he promised or he had better have 911 on speed dial!;) lol Larry

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

DSCF3714.JPG In between rain storms this afternoon my wife and I got the rear end in the car. I got my ubolt spring plates drilled out so tomorrow morning I can tighten it up in the morning before I have to go to work.
    Need to make a bolt run first thing. DSCF3714.JPG

brEad, Thor1, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  29. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

You might need to add another clamp on the spring. Also I don't tighten them until I get the weight on the the spring.
    Will you reinforce the area where the pinion snubber contacts the floor?

Thor1 and loudbang like this.