Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 Ford Coupe Heat & A/c

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimMartley, Jun 14, 2020.

1. JimMartley

JimMartley

I am new to this place and took delivery of my first drivable Hot Rod, a fiberglass body 32 Ford 3 window coupe with a 3" chop. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions as to what to use for A/C and heat in this car. I can't seem to find a "search" function on here so I apologize if there actually IS one...

2. Top of the page ;)[​IMG]

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Right at the top of the page... The little banner with the magnifying glass on it.

4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Search function is the magnifying glass symbol at the top of this page.

Go here and look around a while

https://www.vintageair.com/

They are more likely to have a condenser that fits well in front of your radiator.

The evaporator will depend on how much space is available behind and/or under your dash. There is not a lot of space available in a 1932.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I know one of the companies is called Vintage Air, sorry I don't have more info.

6. JimMartley

JimMartley

Thanks for all your answers!!! :)

7. I have the Vintage Air Gen II Mini heat/air in my deuce. It does a good job for a cabin of that size.

Phil

olscrounger likes this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

The only company to use in my estimation is Vintage Air. They have been in business over three decades. Made in the USA with excellent technical support.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. I installed a Vintage Air heat & air unit in my sedan last year. HRP

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and olscrounger like this.
  10. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with others thus far... Vintage Air. I’m putting a Gen II mini in my Model A right now. It fits, parts are top notch, there is room for the condenser and drier/receiver in front of the radiator.

olscrounger likes this.
  11. rjordan

rjordan

I'm putting Vintage Air in my 31. We have been installing their units for years and they work. The one in my 56 is better than my truck a/c.

olscrounger likes this.
  12. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I've got a Vintage air/heat unit in my '30 model A coupe. It's tight under there but it fits.

13. Not so fast on the Vintage Air. If I recall, all of their systems are "blow through", meaning that the fan intake is right there three feet from your ears. Old Air Products is in Fort Worth, and their base design is a "draw through", meaning the fan is on the leaving side of the evaporator coil. This allows MUCH more evenly distributed air velocity through the evaporator, making it much quieter and giving a tad more capacity in a smaller package. So, if you don't mind a noisy and larger unit, spring for the Vintage Air. I didn't and I would get an OAP again. Controls, etc. are very similar. Do your homework before shelling out your cash. I'll be glad to answer any other questions...

When mine was delivered, I was slightly concerned that it looked so small, but after installing and getting everything running and finishing my '49 Ford Coupe, it has no trouble cooling at 100 degrees outside. ...

https://www.oldairproducts.com/

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

Vintage air easy and small

15. JimMartley

JimMartley

WOW!!! Thanks for the tip on "Old Air Products". I think I found a unit that is small enough to mount on my Firewall and NOT look too bad, The Hurricane IP-2100. I can't get over how much smaller this unit is than anything I have been looking at from Vintage Air. My car already has the compressor and Condenser that was installed by a previous owner and an "under Dash unit was supplied with the car but it looks like it has seen better days and is in ROUGH shape, not to mention it is UGLY!!

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  16. JimMartley

JimMartley

Which unit did you install? I am assuming it was a "firewall mount. Any chance you have pictures of the unit in your car?

17. Study the configurations very closely, build a cardboard replica as accurately as possible to determine line locations and discharge air configuration..do you have a fresh air supply?? I used a marine bilge fan...Here is a link to one of the galleries on my website. Scroll down for a few pictures of the installation..
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Finishing-up-Details/

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  18. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Your best bet is to go with vintage air, IMHO they have the best units out there. The mini is big enough for your Duce. Their tech support is fantastic, you just can’t go wrong with them.

19. It's the Vintage Air gen II heat & air unit, It's compact enough that I can still use the original cowl vent.

That's all I got. HRP

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

I bought the largest Vintage Air unit that would fit under the dash of my 60 Pontiac Bubbletop as its like trying to cool a green house with all that glass it has. I built a custom panel that extends the lower dash and houses the controls, vents and engine gauges. This unit works extremely well cooling that big car and it makes no noise what so ever. I can't even see it or hear it running. The cold air coming out the vents tell me the A/C is running not any noise. I've probably installed at least 10 or 12 other VA units over the years and NEVER had any noise, fitment or cooling issues. If the units I buy are not "sure fit" I buy the largest unit that will fit in the space allowed. I like it cold. If I were a betting man, I'd venture to say VA has well over a 95% share of the aftermarket air conditioning market. If VA units were noisey, defective, inefficient or had design deficiencies I'm sure this wouldn't be the case and another company would be the air conditioning King Of The Hill. VA has been manufacturing USA made A/C units for going on four decades. There technical support is outstanding. If you want to save yourself a lot of grief stay away from Southern Air Products they are junk. I once ran across a car with an Old Air unit and thought it was quality piece and have nothing bad to say 2a1ZQIP4SEeKb+SQT6I0jg.jpg about them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    David Gersic likes this.
  21. JimMartley

JimMartley

Is the Vent/control Panel in this picture an off the shelf product of Vintage Air?

22. Vintage air have a website:
    https://www.vintageair.com/

[​IMG]
    1932 Ford Gen II Under Dash Control Panel w/ Louver
    Part #: 492008
    Price: $60.00

JimMartley likes this.
  23. Yes sir, I ordered it & the heat/air unit from Summit. HRP

24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I have a Southern Air unit. It’s ok, but if I were buying, I’d buy Vintage Air.

How does that go again? “Ask the man that owns one.” Something like that.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I installed a southern air unit in a 57 Fairlane and it would not keep the car cool in florida summers .