Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 34 Ford 3 door sedan??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nutter_street_rodder, Jun 14, 2020.

1. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

A few years ago along the first aisle at Iola there was a 33/34 Ford sedan for sale quite reasonable. I walked around it and was taken back. One side was a 2 door sedan, the other was a 4 door sedan. Guy said it was done after a wreck years ago. Was very well done. Thinking about how neat it was, I went back and it was gone. Hope they left it as it was. Wish I had taken pictures.

F-ONE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe like a face only a mother could love .:D But you have to give the guy an “E” for effort.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Coach builders down here built later model GM sedan deliveries into ambulances and added a rear door to one side or pairs of doors. Damn looked awkward and had a few people stumped that weren't aware of the history. A certain late model Korean car has 2 x doors on one side with a single door on other, nothing new.

4. alchemy

alchemy

I had a 72 Suburban with one door on the left and two on the right. Freaked a lot of people out, but they are all like that.

5. I have these pictures saved of a car that has the modification you describe, I thought it was interesting too.

34%202_4.jpg 34%202_4%20door.jpg

cactus1, F-ONE, brEad and 4 others like this.
  6. goldmountain

goldmountain

That is cool. The extra door is on the curb side which gives it the factory was thinking on this one look.

7. That's pretty unique, I have seen 3 windows, 5 windows but this is the first 6 window I ever saw. :DHRP

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

wild...
    I put the top half of a '33 fordor rear window panel onto a '34 tudor that had an engine setting in it...
    '34 floor rotted out and someone dragged the body out from under the engine...
    tore the rear body panel wide open...
    patched from the middle of the beltline down... fordor window hinged on the left as a half door delivery,
    bad back, thought having an easier way to get at my cooler/ lawnchair would be cool / handy...
    had a bad car crash... was pensioned by GE … sold the body, new owner returned it back to a tudor…
    it was a two and a half door...

302GMC likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Since another is pictured....
    I don’t buy the wreck story. I bet that car was built that way with the rear door on the passenger side.

Personally I think it’s some kind of taxi. Jimmy Cagney would know.

There’s no need for a drivers rear door on a taxi and it could very well be considered a liability.

In many places it was illegal to enter and exit a car from the drivers side in town. Did you ever notice many old cars only have door locks on the passenger side? If you watch....Sheriff Andy Taylor (Andy Griffith) nearly always enters and exits the patrol car from the passenger side.

Again, a special built car.....maybe factory (special contract) built to spec or coach modified but I think it’s a real deal.

Documentation for such things can be lost. Ford can be a quagmire......

I’ve seen factory literature on cars and features of cars that I believe only exist in print. A ‘64 223 C4 Galaxie or pick up truck is a prime example.
    On the other hand there are some combos that I know existed but do not exist in literature. A 61-66 Ford series panel truck is an example.