Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Frank had a long history with circle track cars and fabrication. We talked a bunch over the years. He donated the prototype steering rack that I am using in my lakester. It was from Sweet before it actually was a company. I think he had it in a desert buggy? I miss him.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Working off templates, I drilled and sawed out the 4 base brackets for the roll bar mountings. Also the platforms to carry the upper rear shock/ rear bumper attach points. Next week, bending and installing the roll bar, and fab the rear bumper, is the plan. IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4984.JPG IMG_4987.JPG IMG_4989.JPG

Graham08, OFT, dwollam and 11 others like this.
  3. embyman68

embyman68

[​IMG]
    Another simple trick I'm gonna put to use! Thanks for sharing your tips, tricks, and depth of knowledge!

Stogy, Hotrodmyk, OFT and 1 other person like this.
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your moving right along Marty, if I was closer I would come over and hand you tools or sweep.:D Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Anytime my friend, hope to see you boys soon !

embyman68 and loudbang like this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lippy, It's a shame that some of us doing projects weren't closer together, it would be fun to build a car, with a revolving crew !

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Am I close enough Marty?

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was thinking we need to send a crew to build a fire under you ! Drop by anytime.

Atwater Mike, Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  9. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Let me get this concussion figured out and I'll gladly volunteer some mountaindale community service

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Its always awkward when you're the last one to comment on a thread and there's no activity for 10 days Mr Strode...

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and brEad like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, you need to look at the B/SR build, exiting news !

loudbang likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I hate to admit making a mistake, but it's such a rare occurrence, I will still put the best face on it. Having not used most of the templates for this car, in 15 years, I got confused on the brackets for the rear of the roll bar mounting. The template with "roll cage base" didn't jive, as it should have been "roll bar", and the template on the far left in the first photo, is the one I used making the base brackets a couple of weeks ago. I could't find the paper tracing pattern, to make the cutouts in the body for the roll bar to drop through. My body man friend who owns one of the Roadsters, is doing the final prep for paint on my '40 pu, and I needed to deliver some parts, so I planned on taking a paper template off of his car. To my surprise, the mounts on his car were the size of the roll cage plate, (smaller), and it hit me, I had mounted a roll cage in #7 in it's early fabrication stages, hence the wrong labeling of the template. So I came home and made the correct base mounts, with plates, and will install the roll bar, early this week. If I don't hustle and get this thing finished, I might be wearing "paper slippers" before it is done ! IMG_5055.JPG IMG_5056.JPG img20161106_16190320.jpg

Stogy, dwollam, A Boner and 8 others like this.
  13. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

So cool Marty!!
    Such amazing work as always

loudbang likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Savage, I see your location is Los Gatos, do you see anything of Brian Burnett ? He, along with Tom Prufer treated us drag racers very well at Fremont in the 80's.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Bump.....just because.
    1210CAAD-4418-4525-BE20-53A236059BC6.png

Dean Lowe, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

OK Boner, you built a fire under me. I laid out and bent the roll bar today. Starting with a half layout, on my well used white paper. Material, 1-3/4".120 wall ERW. Side bars soon. IMG_5113.JPG IMG_5116.JPG IMG_5115.JPG IMG_5117.JPG IMG_5118.JPG IMG_5120.JPG IMG_5122.JPG

Graham08, dwollam, Hotrodmyk and 10 others like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bent the side bars today. I saved a pattern that I made out of exhaust tubing, along with some notes concerning bend starts, and ram extension measurements. To allow for the clocking of the 2 bends, I installed the sample in the bender, with one bend in the die, and record the angle. Just have to remember to bend RH and LH bars. Should get it installed in a day or so. IMG_5123.JPG IMG_5124.JPG IMG_5125.JPG IMG_5126.JPG IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5129.JPG IMG_5130.JPG IMG_5131.JPG

Stogy, Gotgas, Graham08 and 6 others like this.
  18. Marty, looks like you, or someone you know has a cat.

[​IMG]

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

He has birds and meat cleavers too!
    Hmmm.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, my Brother Tom had 2 cats, and furnished me quite a supply of buckets. Most of those buckets store remnant pieces of round tube, sorted by size. The funny thing is, I hardly ever even look in them. Just hate to throw anything way. Sadly, all of my cats and dogs have passed, too old to get more.

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The quail have been in hiding lately, pretty soon there will be coveys of 1" tall ones running around !

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You're not too old, adopt a rescue dog or cat, that will be good for you and the animal you adopt!

Stogy, Tim, Speedwrench and 1 other person like this.
  23. bymanr

bymanr

With Marty's permission I'm posting some photos here from yesterday. Sorry they are somewhat out of sequence. My brother Erik and I had the privilege of spending the day at his shop to fab and install the roll bar for my avatar. He allowed us to work right along with him, sharing his knowledge and tricks. We are very appreciative for this as he certainly is a master craftsman as you all know.
    Rich

9am
    IMG_4856.jpg 20200715_110426.jpg IMG_4871.jpg IMG_4870.jpg IMG_4867.jpg
    Marty at the layout table....my knees hurt watching him kneel on the floor!
    IMG_4865.jpg IMG_4866.jpg IMG_4874.jpg IMG_4883.jpg
    Final welding
    IMG_4886.jpg
    Back home at 4:30
    IMG_4890.jpg

My only wish is that we were a bit closer, 60 miles one way.
    Thanks Marty for taking the time with us!
    ps. I'm extremely happy with the roll bar as it adds so much to the character
    of the car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    brEad, Shadow Creek, loudbang and 9 others like this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Rich, thanks for posting, it was great to work with you and Erik, you are welcome anytime !

embyman68, loudbang, Blue One and 4 others like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

Cool little modified!

Stogy, High test 63, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

nice work

I like your gas gauge.

Stogy, embyman68, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  27. I'm OK down on my knees working. It's the getting up that's a bitch!!

Stogy, primed34, Jiminy and 5 others like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean,
    The biggest problem I have, while kneeling to work, is the pain I have later, from having my toes curled back. I should clean off one of the several rolling tables I have, and work standing up. But that would require some organization, just one of my many shortcomings.

Stogy, bymanr, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  29. Yeah, "organization" is getting farther and farther back in the rear view mirror.

Stogy, hotrodA, A Boner and 2 others like this.
  30. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Yeah, Marty, I have gotten to where it is less painful to organize than to work on my knees (too many years of doing things not good for knees). I only get down on my knees if I absolutely have to. And as Dean states, it is a real bitch gettin back up.

Stogy, Dean Lowe, bymanr and 2 others like this.