Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 Ford Hood latch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kjones104, Jun 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kjones104

kjones104

Looking for some help, the hood latch system on my 50' Ford broke off. I don't know what year/style the mechanism is. Trying to replace it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. latch.jpg ford.jpg latch 2.jpg

2. Looks to be a stock latch so any replacement should work. You are aware that the 1949's particularly are prone to failing letting the hood fly open while at speed. I have a safety on my '51 even though they were supposed to have been improved.

3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

4. I replaced my broken latch with one I got from them, it was a used piece but it worked like a charm. HRP

5. Maybe my marbles all fell out of my sack but that don't look to be any stock 1950 Ford unit I remember. Stock alright but not to the 50 Ford. Am I totally loosing it? Even kjones says he don't know what it is and he owns the car.

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  6. Not real sure with all of the custom work but I have not looked at my "51 to compare it.

7. badshifter

badshifter

That's not an original or stock latch. Don't know what it is but it's not original. Looks kinda like a 67ish Fairlane latch.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  8. Stock 51 latch. 50 latch is the same if I remember right but header panel is a little different shape.
    51 Vicky 011.jpg

9. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I have a '51, and haven't seen a '49 hood latch, so I was making the assumption.

The one on his car, almost, almost, reminds me of a "modern-ish" trunk or hatchback latch, now that I'm looking with different eyes.

10. I believe it is and think kjones believes it is also. Appears he's asking for help to identify what it is so he can replace it with another one like it. All the discussion about Stock parts isn't helping him at all. I think we need to see it removed to tell much more about it.