Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods tire rake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Jun 13, 2020.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i was looking at a western and noticed that stagecoaches had big and littles. do you think that is where hot rodders got the idea?

catdad49 likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ah, nothing is new.........

3. Tall rear tires was an easy way to get hi speed gearing on the lakes when hot rods as we know them were born.

4. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

if you didn't surmise, i was joking. good replies though.

catdad49 likes this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trains had em too

egads and seb fontana like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

And they had more horsepower!

jim snow likes this.
  8. clem

clem

lockdown getting to you too.......... ?

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You gotta' start somewhere, it must have been the first stage...

X38 likes this.
  10. Not likely but whatever makes you happy I suppose. :D

what most likely happened with rubber rake is that someone owned a dry lakes car and wanted more top end. gears were not common and they were expensive but the guy down at the wrecking yard had a pair of taller tires. and the gear head said, "Oh hell yea that'll bump my top end!!" The local rodderrs were influenced by his car and shazaaam a tradition is born.

But like I raid whatever makes you happy.

11. We can't argue that the "dry lakes" cars had their influence. But the flip side of the same coin has to be the drag strip. Any hot car worth its salt (no pun intended :rolleyes: ) could use the multiplication of the lowest gears to overcome the traction threshold of the rear tires. Taller tires gave a longer footprint and also helped reel in the 'too much torque' syndrome.
    You didn't have to be any kind of super detective to notice that smaller rear tires at the strip were not a popular look or a functional option. Just the opposite. Not to take anything away from the laker boys but I have to give a big nod to the 1/4 mile peeps.

12. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you were joking, but the subsequent info is interesting. Here’s a picture of a car my dad and his buddies ran back in the day (the ‘doodle bug’ coupe as coined by Ganahl). The rear tires were front tires for a tractor according to my dad - for better top speed of course!

749DE952-B9BD-4BDD-B6B8-28C77C254D1C.jpeg

13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Or, it takes a smaller wheelwell for the same turning radius with a small tire.