Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Running off the rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bubzy, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

I think I've mixed and matched my way out of power. Here's what I have:
    Stock bottom Gen 1 SBC 355
    Flat top pistons
    Dart Iron Eagle 215 2.02/1.60 heads 64cc
    .041 head gaskets
    Comp Cam xe268h cam
    Hydraulic lifters
    Comp Cam 1.6 roller tip rockers
    Dual plane intake with duel 600 cfm vac secondary
    HEI with MSD 6al
    Not sure on compression ratio or hp
    I feel like this is not the best setup. Like it's not the best match of parts. Is this the best cam/head match? Any advice will be taken seriously. Thanks

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You need to know what you want to do with the car, you can't have it all.

3. Budget36

Budget36

Deck will tell you about CR.

Funny thing, saw your title of the post.

Got a Talking Heads flash back....Buring Down the House....
    \
    Oh well:)

Ports seem a bit larage (assume you mean 215 CC) more suited to higher RPM range IMO, for your cam..., max CR would be in the high 9's, maybe low 10's but depends on where the pistons are at in the hole. Could be like my buddy's engine, flat top 4 valve reliefs....050 in the holes...not good...we working on it.

Regardless, with cam choice you have, I think you have too much head.

4. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Thanks for the response. Looking for 425+ hp and getting all components to work with each other

5. squirrel

squirrel

The components all have to work with the rest of the car. A HP number tells us nothing about what you want to do with the car. Go racing? Putt down main street? Drive to work every day? Drive to the drive in on Friday night? Go on a three thousand mile trip? or what?

You can get a sticker and have 425 hp pretty cheap, you know :)

sticker.jpg

raven, GordonC, firstinsteele and 3 others like this.
  6. Can't have too much head:)

mkubacak, Budget36 and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Cruiser with limited strip time. Like to get tossed back in the seat cruising too. Running motor through turbo 400 with shift kit to a Ford 8.8 3.73 gear. I'll check piston depth.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I'd put a bigger cam in it, perhaps 230ish duration at .050, and make sure it has 2500 or so stall.

Won't make 425 hp, but you'll have fun with it.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm with Jim, cam is pretty small. Lippy

10. Budget36

Budget36

Before I polished it off, mine said Turbo Jet 390 HO

Good times!

11. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Heads are not a good match for your combo. A set with 180-195 cc would be better. Cam is small as well. Some of the cam manufactures offer advice on cam selection based on the combo and car details. You might also look at the specs of the Edelbrock top end kits which are developed to work well together.

12. jaracer

jaracer

3.73 gears with and automatic sounds like a pretty low gear with a THM 400. I put a set of 3.89 gears in a 65 Galaxie and it would be in high gear almost before you got through an intersection. For a street cruiser I wouldn't go lower than 3.50. You will have plenty of go when you jump on it.

13. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

So what am I actually losing with my setup? Comp Cams recommended the xe284h cam with the dart 215cc heads. Would the gain be worth the change. Thanks guys

14. Budget36

Budget36

Depends what your actual CR is, you've chosen a fairly large intake port head. Generally this leads to more cam and CR than you may have.

I assume the heads are off still? If so, see where the pistons are at vs the deck. Dial indicater on a mag base through HF will take 40 bucks or so out of your wallet, but give you an idea of things.

15. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Figure compression about 9.8:1

16. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

17. squirrel

squirrel

how much of your money are we allowed to spend?

18. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Trying to make things work with parts I have or with as little additional money as possible. Not being cheap, I just dumped a lot of money into body and paint. I called Comp Cams and the recommended going with the xe284h cam for the heads and converter I have. Cam is 240/246 duration @ . 050, ls 110*, 540/546 lift with my 1.6 rockers. It will take operating range from 1500-5500 to 2300-6500. I think this will be a less expensive way to go over buying new heads. But I want to do it right even if it costs more. Will all this work together? I'm not much of an engine builder as you can tell. Me friend that built the motor passed away and I'm kinda scrambling. I really appreciate your input.

19. squirrel

squirrel

That sounds like a reasonable cam to use. Might want to look into valve springs, to make sure what you have, and what you need to work with the cam, and what will fit in the heads with the current valves/retainers/installed height.

olscrounger likes this.
  20. Bubzy

Bubzy
    from Detroit

Thanks. Will this be a better way to go or keeping my current cam and buying budget 195cc heads

21. squirrel

squirrel

Depends how much HP you want. Bigger heads, bigger cam, drivetrain set up to use higher RPM, you'll go quicker. If you want a milder engine, then the cam you have now, possibly with smaller heads, milder gearing, etc would be the way to go.

Earlier you said something about 425 hp...if you really want 350 tops, then the cam you have now is good.

olscrounger likes this.
  22. raven

raven

You have to match the velocity of the heads to the cam, rear gear, car weight and how you want to drive. Listen to Squirrel, he’s pretty sharp...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger likes this.
  23. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Put a supercharger on it...This compensates for any flow problems.... Will make a bad head and cam better...

squirrel likes this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

If it kinda "soggy" on the bottom end..........advance the CAM timing about 4/6 degrees. This shifts the power range down LOWER on the RPM scale. (even if the Comp Cam is advanced when ground) If the block is not zero decked piston to valve interference should not be an issue.
    Another thought......(if you won't get the deck milled) have the heads milled as much as you can(ask your machinist) to get that CR up!! Aluminum heads AND a snotty cam (like yours) just screams for 10.5/11:1 CR!
    THAT would help your low power problem. Compression is power.......simple.
    6sally6