Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What year did it change?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 10, 2020.

1. When did Chevrolet change the badging from Chevy II to Nova? what were the main differences? HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  2. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I believe the 68 Nova was the Chevy II and the 69 was the Nova. The 68 dash was different. Also some badging .

dan c, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.
  3. 5window

5window

All Novas were Chevy IIs. There were 100 series,200 series and the 400 series was called the Nova. Through 1968. In '69 Chevrolet dropped the Chevy II name and they became just Novas.

4. 5window

5window

This I copied from Wikipedia: The 153 cu in (2.51 L) four-cylinder engine was offered between 1968 and 1970, then was dropped due to lack of interest (besides its other usage in the Jeep DJ-5A a.k.a. the Postal Jeep or a marine/industrial engine) and to clear the field for the Vega. Far more popular were the 250 cu in (4.1 L) six-cylinder and the base 307 cu in (5.03 L) V8, which replaced the 283 cu in (4.64 L) V8 offered in previous years. Several units were produced with the 327 cu in (5.36 L), 275 hp (205 kW), engine, four-barrel quadrajet carb and four-speed Saginaw transmission with a heavy duty 12 bolt positraction rear as a "towing option' package. At mid-year, a semi-automatic transmission based on the Powerglide called the Torque-Drive (RPO MB1) was introduced as a low-cost option (~$100 less than the Powerglide) for clutchless motoring. The Torque-Drive transmission was only offered with the four and six-cylinder engines. The two-speed Powerglide was still the only fully automatic transmission available with most engines, as the more desirable three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic was only available with the largest V8 engines

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Yep, dash has key switch in it, '69 went to key in the column, making the '68 instrument cluster a one year only deal. Dash pad also says "Chevy II" on passenger corner emblem plate, later cars say "Nova"
    Badging: '68 has "Nova" nameplate on the sides of rear quarters, rather than front fenders like '69-72. '68 center hood front trim ornament says "Chevy II" making it one year only also, '69-72 just has a blue bowtie logo, no words.
    SS models have the words "Super Sport" die cast emblem at the rocker area of the front fenders, used that year only.
    '68 has "Chevy II" emblem passenger rear trunk lid location, '69-74 have "Nova" in that location.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  8. belair

belair

Everyone says you are revolting... And I would kill for a 66-67 Chevy II

9. squirrel

squirrel

Until they dropped the Chevy II name in the late 60s, the Nova name was just a trim level. That means it has sort of the same meaning as Belair, Impala, etc on the full size cars. Nova just meant you paid extra to get the extra shiny trim pieces.

Most folks can't seem to understand that, though.

10. ratrod0

ratrod0

My 65 has nova, and chevy II 20180127_113106.jpg

72yenkonova, alfin32, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  11. 5window

5window

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and loudbang like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I always heard Nova in Spanish meant “ no go”. So they only sent Chevy II’s to Mexico. Probably just an old wife’s tale, funny non the less....

13. First correct answer.....along with the next poster who explains in detail the answer to your question...last 1968.

14. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

It’s an evolution kinda thing. They were all Chevy II’s from 62-68. In 63 the Chevy II, Nova SS (Super Sport) trim package option was available on the 400 series hardtops. This was purely a trim package. It consists of bucket seats, a clock in the center of the instrument cluster, 14” wheels with SS hubcaps, a diecast chrome center console and floor shifter only if the Power Glide option was selected, lots of extra trim molding inside and out, and Nova SS badging. 1968 was a completely new model design but was still a Chevy II and 69 was the year the name changed to just Nova and a Super Sport package continued to be an option..

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

From Wikipedia Nova A transient astronomical event that causes the sudden appearance of a bright,apparently new star that slowly fades over several weeks or months. I love the forethought of some car names.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here’s another angle or twist to the discussion, I have a brother who insists that the Chevy II and Novas can be legitimately called Deuces.:rolleyes::D

As well up here in Canada we had the Pontiac Acadian and Canso models of basically the same car.

We all probably know as well that Nova means not going or no go in Spanish.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Correct.

62 to 67 - Chevy II Nova
    68 - Chevy II
    69 to 74 (?) - Nova

Mike

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Chavezk21 like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess Bill Jenkins didn't understand Spanish!

wheeldog57, 3W JOHN, reagen and 2 others like this.
  19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

interestingly, the corvair for '69 still had the ignition switch in the dash. last year of production.

Nostrebor, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My 62 was a Nova II

21. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Probably knowing they were going to drop it from production made doing any redesign for the '69 year Corvair pointless.....the Nova, Chevelle, Camaro, Impala all stayed in production moving forward.
    I think at that point with the Corvair they might have been just trying to use up the parts in the pipeline.
    '68 Chevelle also has a lot of 1-year only trim and interior items. Instrument cluster has key in the dash.

22. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not quite..!
    The 58 Impala, the 59, the 60 Impala, were one year cars, as was the 68 Chevelle, and a lot of others. 61, 62 Impala two more.

Mike

23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

The “Nova” was a 400 series trim level and in 1962 and 1963, only the Chevy II 400 series cars were badged as Chevy II, Nova, 400 or Nova SS in 63. Next was the Chevy II 300 series and then the Chevy II 100 series, neither of which carried Nova badging. There is some confusion because most folks generically refer to them all as a Nova.. The Nova was really just a package a trim designation from 62-68.

24. Does any0ne know what the letters in nova stand for. N for nova O for omega V for venture & A for appollo.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Now you’re really reaching. :D

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Was the Acadian also a rebadged Nova?

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not close to the same by any stretch. up to around 1970 almost all American manufactures had major changes to their full size cars every year. Those of us who are older remember the excitement of the announcement date in October when the next years models went on display and on sale. Slipping down to the dealer in the days before the official showing to spot one in the back of the shop or in the back lot. Then driving by the night before and trying to peek though the coverings on the showroom windows. Then if you were still in school racing down to the dealer right after school to check out the new models that there was no way you could afford one. then. The first one that I ran down to see after school was a 62 Impala SS that the dealer here had when I was a sophomore. Big hashing around about the roof line with my buddies over the next few days after it came out. Now it is a ho=hum so that is the new model? thing.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember that one of my buddies in Vietnam bragged on hours on end about his Chevy II with the 4 cylinder that he had back home in Kansas. I had never seen one myself and to this day have never worked on one in all the time I worked in shops in Texas and Washington.

29. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The name NOVA was around first....those names, Omega and Apollo might have been because they fit the acronym....but Pontiac had already used Ventura in the late 1950's/early 1960's.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I believe they were renamed for Mexico and all points south due to poor sales as a result of the Nova name.