Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which radiator hose?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Anyone got a part # for an upper radiator hose for a 59ab flathead in a 32 ford with a walker radiator? I want a molded hose, not short hoses and a tube in between.

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Make a mockup out of pipe insulation and duck tape and head to the rack at the parts joint.

3. brading

brading

Have you looked in the Gates hose catalogue believe they give size measurements in there.

4. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Anybody got the # ? It's buried in this forum somewhere, I just can't hit the right search to find it.

5. brading

brading

6. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Try stock 1940 ford upper hoses I have them on my 32 with a 59 A.

Vonn Ditch likes this.
  7. Harpo has a good idea. I've done the same thing with foam 'swimingpool noodle' when I was having a hard pipe made for an O/T, turbo application. See attached.
    Assuming you aren't a stickler for Genuine NOS made by Ford elves at the North Pole, a generic auto parts item will be a good buy at a fraction of the price.
    I've seen guys simply bend a length of coathanger wire and take that to the auto parts store.
    mockup.jpg

8. evintho

evintho

Automotive heater duct hose. In the HELP section at any auto parts store. 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter.
    Bend it to any configuration you want and it holds its shape. March into your local NAPA and match it up.

[​IMG]

9. xix32

xix32

The problem is the Walker radiator upper necks don't angle down at 45º like a stock `32 radiator does.
    If they did, then the set "Back order Bob" sells for that engine in a `32 would work. I spent a lot of time going though stock at the auto parts stores to no avail. Then I ordered a set from the guy in Finland who advertises here on the HAMB his uppers are real nice, molded, to fit the 59a with a Walker top tank that has the necks going straight back. But he doesn't want checks sent to him, and a wire transfer cost me something like $ 40.00 from my bank.
    If you are trying to fit that Walker radiator onto a stock `32 Ford front crossmember, your next surprise will be the lower mount ears holes don't line up, and they aren't long enough to allow you to file the slots wide enough to make it fit. I had to weld extensions onto them. I have three stock `32 front crossmembers, all have the same mount hole spacing. When I called Walker to point this out, their response was " nobody else complains". I asked them if they have a stock crossmember that they can check their radiator's fit on ? They told me , no. And , no I didn't want to hack up my stock original front crossmember to make it fit their incorrectly made radiator.

V8-m and 5window like this.
  10. 5window

5window

Coat hanger wire is getting pretty scarce!

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A search brought up this Ford Barn thread on the same subject https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=418265
    List on the Napa 8935 he suggests is 41.99 each though.
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG8935

This hose fits 2003/2004 Ford F 150 with a 5.4 330 ci engine.

Lower hose he suggests https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG7927 Lots of figuring where to cut there. This is the hose for a 96 Bronco/ f150 with a 302 without an oil cooler
    That adds up to 150 bucks worth of hoses to do it his way. plus you have to use a sleeve on the upper inlet to fit the hose to the inlet. Not sure what the guy in Finland wants but I'd weigh the costs from him vs buying and cutting. Or hunt other sources for the applications I dug out.

12. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Do you have an address for Molded Coolant Hose? I've tried places like Hose This, Hoses for Hoes, Hoses while you wait....and wait, Hoseheads house of hoses, Get Hosed here, Drive in Hoses, Grow your own hoses, and Dave's Hose and delicatessen. No luck.

This is a running and driving car. It's got a bob drake upper hose kit on it, I think for a 42-48 with a chrome tube and connecting hose at the radiator and engine. I want to swap it out for the molded hose if I can find one. By the way, the walker radiator fit the ginny 32 crossmember just fine. Maybe I got lucky on that part. The lower hoses are from a 48 ford, I think, it's been a while.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O"Reillys shows the upper hose for the 04 F150 that I showed in post 11 as https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...lant-hose/22863/4328965/2004/ford/f-150?pos=1
    I'd measure though. shows to be 1-3/4"

They show the lower for the 96 F 150 with 302 as this one https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...lant-hose/21216/4327618/1996/ford/f-150?pos=3

You still have to be able to see the photos he showed on Ford barn and I have to reset my password there it looks like. Got to remember what my Ford Barn alter ego is too.

14. Back order Bob is funny. He has had an entire room full of phones as well and never had more than one or two people to answer them.

15. 5window

5window

Like the check out at Lowes or Walmart.