Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ‘32 Ford Hood Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Maybe a stupid question but I did a search and couldn’t find an answer.
    How do I remove the hood off my ‘32? Unbolt the back bracket and then slide it off the front bracket? Looking at the Ford Barn that’s the procedure for a ‘28 to ‘31.
    Thanks in advance.

Allan

2. Other way. Unbolt the front in my experience.

Al T and olscrounger like this.
  3. X 2
    Sent from my SM-F900U1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Al T and cactus1 like this.
  4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May I add to the question? It's related! Assuming you're dealing with a painted car that you don't wish to damage, are there any particular tricks to removing or installing the hood, and how many assistants are beers required for?

Chris

5. Ok, now I do feel like that was a stupid question. That was way too easy.
    Thanks again.
    CF1E4CAB-3E81-4D7F-B47E-4AEDB513A39B.jpeg

catdad49, harpo1313 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. I laid a moving blanket on the ground, unbolted the front bracket (I had the hood sides sitting on the prop brackets), put my arms in the folded sections, lifted and stepped back. It’s very easy to do by yourself (more beer for you).
    Reinstalling I will definitely have an extra pair of hands.

The way it looks with the hood off, the next question may be “Best way to store a ‘32 hood?” lol

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Fogger

Fogger

I replaced the hinge rods with 1/4" stainless when I built my '32s. Used dry lube on them so they can be removed with the hood on the car. To remove the hood I remove the rods and take off the side panels. Then remove the front hood bracket from the grill shell and lift off the hood top. It's a one person job and makes it easy to protect the paint.

Bags74 and Al T like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

To add, don't store for a long time period folded and laying flat.
    No direct experience but had one for sale many years ago and a buyer said it causes the hood to lose its shape, he also was trying to beat me down on the price too, sold it to someone else that was quite pleased to find one.

9. I would store it standing on the back edge, sort of half folded. Cardboard or blanket underneath.

Phil

10. Like this? lol
    image.jpg
    I’ll be reinstalling the hood. I had to pull it off because I had a couple cooling blades decide to divorce the generator and damage the driver’s side hood top. It’s off to get the panel repaired.
    81810955-9D27-4812-BE32-0D63B97A9FC0.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP!!

cactus1 likes this.