Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Has anyone used Duplicolor Paint Shop to paint their car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Jun 6, 2020.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I did a search but mostly rattle can stuff showed up. I just shot an old fender with the metallic green Duplicolor Paint Shop and it looks great. The metallic laid down evenly and after four coats of clear it has nice color and depth. Before I commit to painting the whole car I wondered if anyone here had any experience with it, good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I’ve thought of using that stuff as well. Very interested in what results people have had.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I have to admit I was skeptical but I have two cars to paint so I decided to do some testing of the less expensive options; Duplicolor and TCP Global. I used the full system for each, primer, reducer and paint just to be sure. Both look pretty good so far.
    I only used 8 oz of color and 8 oz of clear to do an old ‘65 Corvair front fender. There should be enough material on there to do a test cut and buff. That will be the next step.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hrm2k likes this.
  4. Best luck Ive had with spray bombs is a on line company called paint scratch. They mix real car paint,and put it in cans.The clear they sell in spray cans has a hardner built in that you mix by pushing a button on the base of the can.I did a 60 percent over lap,and got no tiger stripping.Did the hood,and roof on the Toyota shop truck.Came out good,and has weathered well sitting out side.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve seen those two part spray cans, pretty clever. But the paint I’m asking about isn’t their rattle cans it’s their line of “ready-to-spray” paint in quart cans. It’s been available for a few years now. They call it a high quality lacquer system. I see that they even have a few candy colors.

6. birdman1

birdman1

I used it on my 55 third, with the clear coat. Lay on several coats to buff it out. Best paint I have ever used, only other paint I have ever used is acrylic enamel.

bchctybob likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am planning on using Duplicolor system to paint my SEGA super stock 65 Comet wagon . Will be a driveway paint job so no sense in buying real expensive paint. Let the bugs commit suicide in cheap paint.

8. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Lacquer is pretty easy to spray a fender or a door at a time,its when you get into a complete is when it gets hard to keep it wet so you dont get dry spots or rough spots,try to do it when its not hot,and get a slow thinner for it,it will help it not dry as fast.You will have to move pretty fast to keep it wet,dont thin the paint more then the recommended amount,that will make it thin and wont cover.If you are going to clear it,you have to have a nice coat of paint under it,the clear will only magnify any bad spots:eek:,Ive never used that brand of paint,cant get lacquer here in Canada,if your going to buff it after that will give you some leeway for getting a nice gloss. Harvey

bchctybob likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Interested in hearing more.

Anytime I need a budget paint, I go to single stage enamel, automotive or undustrial.

bchctybob likes this.
  10. Joe H

Joe H

I just painted and old bicycle with the green Paint Shop paint. I too was impressed with the way it sprayed out. I used some clear I already had so can't commit on the Duple-Color clear. I would use it again. It sands easy if you get dirt or a bad spot, and being thats it's a lacquer, theres really not need to keep the whole thing wet as you paint. A light sanding is all it takes to even it out. Best of all, no mixing, stir and pour in the gun!

bchctybob likes this.
  11. It’s lacquer...not the strongest stuff out there..You’ll need a good thinner to spray with it..and it’s getting harder to come by..also if you ever decide to respray it...if it’s not lacquer...you’ll Need to get it off there..it’s an unstable paint...put a rag soaked in thinner on it...it turns back to liquid..

For what a quart of that cost..you’ll need 5-6..to paint a whole car...you could get a value line single stage urethane and be done with it...very close in price..and much stronger

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bird shit, tree sap, water spots, chemical spills, belt buckles..

belair and bchctybob like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Man has yet to create a nice looking coating that can stand up to bird sh!t and tree sap, two of nature’s most destructive forces. Lol.
    I’ve successfully shot lacquer (R-M) and acrylic enamel (Ditzler and DuPont) many times over the years but my experience with urethane was a bust. That’s why I’m experimenting with the current materials, they often change the formulas and not always for the better. Both cars are hot rods and will be stored indoors and waxed once every five years (I’ll try to do better but building and driving is more fun than cleaning )
    Thanks for the responses, anyone else have some words of wisdom?

brEad likes this.
  14. big bird

big bird

Painted an OT car with it 13 years ago, as did a couple friends. It IS lacquer,of sorts. New solvent, not acetone, maybe alcohol. Still takes several coats for coverage and still needs polishing out and waxing. If you use the clearcoat, it shines and holds up pretty well. If you skip the clearcoat, it will look like old lacquer as it ages. Duplicolor had/may still have a site where they gave mixing instructions for creating different colors, etc.
    Never really had a problem with bird poop or any thing damaging it. It has some chips, but it has gone sliding on gravel roads and various other escapades. Car has lived outside for most of the last 13 years, and has been driven in the winter from time to time. Chips fill fairly well with a little brush.
    Not the best "show car" paint, but for something you shoot in the driveway and then actually drive/park in lots/live with...

bchctybob likes this.
  15. I painted my truck in lacquer. WAY easier to use if painting at home than urethanes and not as toxic. Also looks way better IMO. I am going to guess you didn't use enough paint on your fender. The duplicolor is pre reduced so the thinner is already in it. My truck took 2 gallons of reduced color and two gallons of reduced clear to paint so 8 oz for a fender seems pretty thin. You have to realize that lacquer goes on super thin so while it may look like it's covered you have very little film build to play with with the little bit you put on. I would order some lacquer from someone like Paint Guru or TCP global if that's the way you want to go and reduce it yourself. Will probably cost less and be higher quality than the Duplicolor stuff. I have used it as well and would say it is just ok.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Baron, fauj, indyjps and 3 others like this.
  16. You can buy it in Canada. Canadian Tire sells it. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dupli-color-paint-shop-finish-system-0473116p.html

wraymen likes this.
  17. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

I don’t thing they are talking about spray bombs.

18. bchctybob

bchctybob

K13, I was surprised that it covered so well with 8 oz. I did a light coat and several heavier coats until the metallic looked even, then another final coat to empty the gun. Since I was going to clear it I didn’t think it needed any more color. If I use it on the car it will get more clear for sure.
    I’m just experimenting to see if I have the patience (and skills) to paint my own cars at my advanced age. I had my other car painted a couple years ago and they did a nice job for the price but they did some great little details and missed a couple obvious things. I thought I could do better, especially since these two cars are small. I’m painting a Morris Minor woody and a fenderless ‘28 Ford roadster.

19. 51box

51box
    from MA

@K13 what brand of lacquer did you use?

20. I had kind of a unique situation. Manuel Reyes custom mixed mine from a stash of Stan Betz's old lacquer that a friend of his had.

brEad, Tman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Has anyone tried the Majic Diamond Lustre single stage paint that you thin with water ?

22. It would help this thread if you state the product you used and if you sprayed through a spray gun.

I would shoot the TCP stuff over Duplicolor any day.
    There is also OEM paint from https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

I have use this Automotive touchup system and it worked very good, shot well and has been in the sun without fade for a couple years. OT car part were painted to match the OEM color and matched very well to what was promised.

Pricing is all relative to the qty and if you are using the whole system if it is a BC/CC, use their stuff, dont cheap out.

I would image is the same for the rer, good prep and keep the same system throughout.

bchctybob and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Being that it's lacquer, have any of you guys had an issue with it reacting with non lacquer primers? I was always under the impression that lacquer would eat up anything that wasn't lacquer? I'm just asking because I have over a gallon of acrylic lacquer candy apple red, but I don't know what to do with it because I only have access to urathane base coat.

24. should not be a problem over 2k products

ol'stinky likes this.
  25. I have sprayed lacquer over 2K polyester, 2k urethane and 2k epoxy, all without issue.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ol'stinky likes this.
  26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lots of guys still have old quarts of silver flake base for Candy, see it for sale quite often. I did a NJ car (Bill McDonnell's 54 Merc) in black nitro lacquer, using HOK's epoxy primer under it. Worked much better than lacquer primer! In a pinch, you could just buy some small silver flake, and put it in lacquer clear, which is also readily available, for a base.

bchctybob likes this.
  27. I used a quart of the white I got at Auto Zone, $26 a quart a few years back. Sprayed my Ford's interior floor pan with it and it went on well. I had primed it first with something from my local body shop supplier.
    5-9-001.JPG

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Im personally a huge tamco fan, if you want simple, shoot some single stage.
    https://tamcopaint.com/collections/single-stange-basecoat-paint

I have used their base, clear, and single stage. The duraflint stuff is amazing. Ive painted a boat and a motorcycle in duraflint bright white. both with minimal prep, the boat I shot over 320 grit. it had a little orange peel but a ton of gloss. Im sure it could have been cut and buffed, but that was the side that goes in the water, so why?

And starting at 140 bucks for a gallon, I have amazing success with only 1 coat coverage, a gallon goes a long ways.
    Look at the solids content, tamco solids are up there with the expensive brands, often higher. means your coat is thicker when the drying is done.

Tman, bchctybob and belair like this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

Thought the "rule" was you could spray lacquer over other paints - But dont spray other paints over lacquer.

ChopOlds,
    you made me remember a quick cheap pearl job. Had it sprayed in black primer, scuffed it, mixed up some clear and pearl and shot it right on. No base. Came out nice. Dark smokey charcoal with silver pearl pretty similar to the late model chrysler color a lot of people have been using recently.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    bchctybob likes this.
  30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

For 50 years, I've heard the opposite. You can shoot enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel. Many a factory lacquer paint job has been repainted with single stage enamel.