Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cam grinder recommendations

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by eightballgrifter, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a company that can do a custom grind roller cam for my Caddy motor. So far drawn a bit of a blank so any recommendations greatly received.
    Thanks,
    Jim.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you talked with Delta?

ted kovacs and eightballgrifter like this.
  3. No, haven't tried them, I'll take a look, thanks.

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You might try Straub Technologies or Mike Jones Cams.

eightballgrifter likes this.

5. Ok, thanks I'll look at them also...very helpful....

6. I just had a custom cam ground by Schneider cams. Very happy with the product, price and service.

7. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

8. I use Oregon cam grinders and have for years. 360-256-7985 worth a call at the least.

9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Herbert cams still around? Had a run in with them, Chet was a prick and I gladly let him know but their work was top notch and I had them custom grind a cam for me, that motor ended up with a lot of hard miles on it and the cam held great.

10. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Just about any cam company is capable of grinding one...the hard part is going to be finding the one who actually has the cam core blank for a mechanical roller in-house.

You may be looking at having to do it from a custom milled steel billet...and that will be big bucks, a $1,000-1200+ camshaft.

You didn't say what Cad motor it is...old 1950-early 60's stuff or the later model late 60's-1970's deal.

11. 6sally6

6sally6

X-2
    6sally6

12. try Pete 1 on here the HAMB, does a great job

warbird1, plan9 and eightballgrifter like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I know Pete can grind Olds cams, perhaps he can do Cadillac. He has been at it a long time, top flight.

plan9 and eightballgrifter like this.
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

x2 for Schneider. After my core sat at Elgin's shop for two months without being touched I picked it up and sent it to Schneider. Was done in a week, works great and cost less than it should.

15. The motor is a 331 Caddy block out to 414 with Hilborn Mechanical Injection. Yes I know it's going to be expensive. I have now had one quote back for around the $1200 mark, just need to see what other choices I have.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. Just searched for Pete 1 on here but can't find him....do you have any contact details for him? Thanks.

17. big john d

big john d
    from ma

try howards (compitition products) i have their cams in my cars and have had very good luck they will custom grind any cam

18. earlymopar

earlymopar

X2!
    - EM

19. 41fastback

41fastback

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Oregon Cam did a great job on my hemi cam

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since its probably going to be expensive, how do you know what specs you are going to need? Most cams need some testing to get the best results. I applaud the use of a roller..........

Edit: Does anyone make roller lifters for the old Cad engines?

23. Chet Herbert did all my stock car cams, I don't know if they are still doing cams after Chet passed on.

24. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

Looks like a lot of guys here don't understand that you don't just grind a mechanical roller profile onto a cast flat tappet cam core.....it has to be a steel billet....and it has to have roller shaped lobes.....that is why just finding a niche market grinder who even has a core in hand is going to be the biggest hurdle here, and why I posted this is probably only going to be possible from someone willing to make it full custom from a round billet.....the may not be a single pre-made core in the entire country for that obsolete engine.

Law of supply and demand....virtually zero demand means pretty much nobody is just going to have cores laying around.

Might try Isky, they were probably the biggest grinder around when that engine was in it's heyday, they might still have a core around if a mechanical roller core was ever made

AHotRod and fur biscuit like this.
  25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Racer Brown grinds cams here in Baltimore. He is primarily a Mopar guy but did the cam in my V8 Corvair

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I sent him a heads up last night, he will contact you.

27. I'd been recommended Bullet by Harlan Sharp who made my rockers. I've tried contacting them but haven't heard back....they're Ultradyne if I'm right and gave a good reputation.

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

Are you calling them direct? area code: (662) 893-5670
    We never have problems when calling. John Partridge owns Bullet Cams whom I've known for 35+ years, and they purchased Ultradyne and have all those cam grinds and profiles which are awesome.

30. mkubacak

mkubacak

@Pete1