Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got side tracked today had the hood propped up with a rod. Have been leaving the hood on because of all of the rain and since I have painted the engine compartment trying to keep it that way. Plus adding brake components need to keep them dry. Brake fluid and water don't play well together.
    Anyway a good stiff breeze came up and blew the hood off the prop and it landed on the ground nose first and bent the corner. Well I said a few words of praise for the wind. Now I have a bent hood.
    I was going to cut out all of the underhood bracing anyway so now is a good time.
    So I gutted the hood of the bracing and all off the rust that had been hiding in there.
    I am going to put a Thunderbolt tear drop scoop on it . Can't afford a Crites fiberglass hood right now so the scoop will have to do. Got the bracing cut and the contact glue that Ford used back then to glue the two together. Then used some Majic rust convertor to stop the rust from getting any worse on the underside of the hood.
    Rust free southern car my ass. I am finally running out of places to find rust in this car. It was basically a solid car except for the floors and the surface rust hiding everywhere.
    just another day building an old car. If it was easy everybody would build old cars.

AHotRod, Hang'emHigh, enloe and 7 others like this.
  2. Sweet inspiration.... FB3C76C2-B043-48CA-B5B2-49C7CB2CE30D.jpeg

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

That sure is. I got a little something done today. Got my rebuilt control arms back on and my 5 lug hubs on. just had to put a wheel on to see what it will look like. DSCF3679.JPG

4. savannahDan

savannahDan

looking good Mike!

0NE BAD 51 MERC, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hoping to have the steering all done by tomorrow before work. I am waiting on a spring bucket roller kit before I can put the front springs back in.
    Thanks will you be in Ky. this weekend ?

Thor1, enloe and loudbang like this.
  6. savannahDan

savannahDan

if you're asking me, yes I'll be in KY putting this new Huff motor to work.

dirty old man, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will stop by and say hi. I am pedaling as fast as I can to get ready. It just seems like I start on one thing and get a road block and have to move on to something else on the car.

AHotRod, dirty old man, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I have to order a different pitman arm. the one I got when I bought the 5 lug conversion was for the big sector shaft and the 6 cylinder cars have a smaller sector shaft that takes a pitman arm with a tapered hole for the center link stud. The last numbers in the parts number is 3590-A I have a C60A-3590-C and it's for the larger sector shaft and has a tapered stud.
    I have learned from internet search it's for a 64-66 Mustang. Open tracker sells a reproduction , but
    I figured maybe a HAMB'er might have a real Ford part.
    I also found out today that when converting a factory 65 single pot master cylinder to a 67 dual chamber master cylinder. You must use the push rod from the single pot cylinder or it bottoms out the master cylinder. You find these things out after laying on the floor of the car under the dash hooking up the rod and installing the brake switch and can't push the brake pedal.
    Got to do that twice today once before I changed the rod and once after I changed it out for the shorter rod. My fault for not checking.
    Got a care package from Heath , the guy who bought my Morris Minor. He is going with a hydraulic clutch on the Morris so he sent me the cable setup to see if I can make it work on the Comet. Thanks very much. Now just need to fab up a bracket for the clutch pedal.
    Before anybody says why don't you use a mechanical clutch linkage. My big tube headers won't allow a cross shaft. They were made for an automatic. My pressure plate and scattershield are set for a cable clutch . I took it out of the Morris Minor.
    Getting ready to leave for London, Ky. Saturday morning for some SEGA action Saturday afternoon.

enloe, brEad, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my toploader back together today ! It was a pain after the needle bearings fell out of the cluster gear. I managed to grease them up and get them back in without taking the whole thing back apart.
    Now I need to build spacers for the shifter mount and get some heim joints so I can make shift rods.
    DSCF3680.JPG DSCF3681.JPG

pwschuh, 62hotcat, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  10. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I have a v8 65/66 mustang pitman arm if that helps you - free

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

what size is the splined hole that goes on the steering box ? Does it have a tapered hole or a stud where it hooks the center link ?
    If it is the right one it certainly would help me.
    I have all of the 4 bolt hubs and steering parts and rear end for a Comet or Falcon that anybody can have if they want it. I also have 5 14 inch 4 bolt wheels.

Thor1, loudbang and Crosley like this.
  12. Someone will nab that 8” rear end for a model A build...

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  13. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

it is a 1" sector shaft and the end has a tapered hole - I dont have it in my hands right now as Im away from home - IIRC it has a C4 casting number - if you still need it, pm me your shipping details

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Coming your way. Thanks

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

The rear end is not an 8 inch. Remember this was a 6 cylinder car. It is a 7 1/2" rear with a cover on the back, not a drop out carrier.

loudbang, Crosley and Thor1 like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

A few photos from London Ky. How was the race ? I can describe it in one word HOT !! The weather was hot and so was the racing. A lot of new cars a lot of upsets and the future of the SEGA looks great . I talked to at least 5 guys building Super Stock cars and several racers building already for next year.
    They had 86 cars and Quain looks for 50 more by next season. For a lot better photos than I shot watch the SEGA home page and Facebook page for photos and video recap. Saw 2 people wearing masks and actually shook people's hands. It was a great time.
    DSCF3685.JPG DSCF3690.JPG DSCF3696.JPG DSCF3687.JPG

AHotRod, Gammz, 427 sleeper and 4 others like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

There are some great folks here on the Hamb . ididntdoit1960 just sent me the pitman arm I need to finish my steering. Not everybody is out to squeeze every dollar they can out of their old parts.
    Put them in the hands of somebody that can use them.
    I spent all day out in the heat cutting the inside rear fenderwell out of the driver side and welding up a rust hole right in the rear of the door jamb. In the past a body shop ? riveted a quarter panel on this car. If it wasn't going to be a race car and something I was going to show or drive for a long time
    the quarter would get cut off and welded back on the right way. Since it is going to be a race car and it might even get an axle in the front and become a gasser at some point so then the 1/4's would be cut out anyway.
    I looked at the little white Falcon and he had to cut his inner fenderwells out to clear the slicks and said he had to be careful turning off the track onto the return road or it would rub.

bchctybob, loudbang, Crosley and 2 others like this.
  18. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's me in the first pic. almost right in the middle of the middle section in a black shirt sitting next to a guy in a white shirt. Quite photographic if I say so myself. ;)

brEad, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my scattershield dialed in today and surprise it did not need offset dowels so I can bolt the clutch in and put the transmission on and put the whole thing in the car.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I never turned on to the return road at speed, always slowed down on the track.

loudbang likes this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

The problem was not speed it was the off camber pavement that caused body roll that caused the tire rub. The wheel wells are just really small for a 29x7 inch tall tire. When they came with a 24 inch tall tire that was 5 inches wide.
    I have trimmed the lip and rolled it under and dollied it flat and cut the leading edge of the fender opening after I mocked up the tire and wheel. Some guys move the rear end back an inch on these cars for tire clearance in the front edge.
    Since this is a drag car on a traction limited tire that would be counter productive for me. If anything I would want to move the rear end forward like they did with the A/FX cars.

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Big announcement and shout out to Lloyd's paint and glass of Owingsville ,Ky.
    He went to the SEGA race in London. Ky and was stoked at the racing and the turn out.
    I contacted him and he and his wife thought it would be a great idea for me to bring him the car for him to throw on one of his great paint jobs on the Comet and for me to run his Logo for the 2020 and beyond season.
    He is a fellow Hamb'er and a great guy. So if you live in his area of Ky. go see Lloyd for all of your panting and glass work and if you don't live in his area still give him a big shout out.
    I was taking a risk painting my car with my health issues but I saw no other option as the local shops wanted way more than I could afford and could not get it done quickly. I can't afford to have the car in paint jail for the season.
    He has told me if I get it as close as possible he would have it done in a week. That is way more than I could ever ask for. So thanks in advance to you Lloyd for the opportunity to partner up on the Tennesse Thunder Wagon . Coming to the Southeast Gasser events this year. Hoping to debut in Lyons , Indiana.

24. jim snow

jim snow

Another example of us helping each other out. Good stuff. Snowman

25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wish he was closer. I'll be needing some rust repair, body work and a paint job on my Ranch Wagon. It would be nice to support Lloyd's in light of him stepping up to assist this build. I've been following this build since the beginning. I've always loved Gassers and wagons too ever since my Falcon 2 door wagon in HS.

28. Do unto others my friend. We gotta take care of each other :D

29. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Well done sir!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app