Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My car ate a rocker arm!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheeltramp brian, Jun 5, 2020.

1. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Had a ticking lifter noise yesterday that progressively got worse to bad on my daily 64 elky with sbc.pulled the vc to find this.guess the hardening On this one wasn't so great.valve stem appears good.found the broken pieces too.swapped in another one and all is well.any thoughts? 20200605_132025.jpg 20200605_132017.jpg 20200605_132049.jpg 20200605_132036.jpg 20200605_132613.jpg 20200605_132103.jpg 20200605_132635.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. You might check the pushrod for that rocker to ensure it is flowing sufficient oil. SBC oil the rockers through the pushrods.

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I let it run with the vc off to find the noisy culprit and they were all gushing oil.i pulled and made sure it wasn't bent either while I had it apart

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

The part of the rocker that the ball rides on is shiny, not blue, so it was getting oil.

But yeah, sometimes 50 year old parts wear out. It sucks.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Thing is I replaced all the valvetrain maybe 2 years ago.new rockers included

loudbang, stillrunners and squirrel like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Change the oil too.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

I would check guide wear on the valve. It had to be putting big side loads on that stem. Makes you wonder about the quality of the replacements I would check the rest.

loudbang likes this.
  8. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

What brand rockers did you use?
    I would verify the valve and/or valve guide are not loose either.
    I've seen gouging but a near concentric circle, that's a new one for me.

loudbang likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

It happens. I saw stock replacement rockers do that all the time when we ran dirt track and had to run stock type rockers. Check your rocker stud and if it isn't hurt then just replace the rocker and change the oil.
    They had a bad run of stock style Chevy rockers from the aftermarket. mostly the rocker balls then it eats the rockers.

loudbang, ottoman and mad mikey like this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Thats the reason I string the rockers on a wire so that the rockers and the balls stay together.

bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  11. About 5 years ago I had some cheap Chinese ones that actually bent. I thought the studs were pulling out of the head as they kept getting loose. I’d readjust and it would be ok but was losing power. The. I compared one with a good original and you cold tell it had spread and flattened out. Now i only use original or good quality roller rockers.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Don't let 31Vicky read this. :)

13. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

They are only case hardened, not thru hardened, so once it wears just far enough it will quickly eat right on through it. Case is only about .008-.011" deep.
    For the same reason that's why you can't just a take a sanding board and reface the rocker tip when it shows a little wear during a simple rebuild.

You may want to give them all a good inspection, some others may be following it right behind and near failure too.

14. 2935ford

2935ford

Yikes, my 327 just started making that ticking noise.....hopping it's not that! :(

loudbang likes this.
  15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

This is all fake news, Chevy’s NEVER break parts!!! Good that you found it quick. Not that they don’t fail either but it’s why I like a roller valve train on our cars nowadays when they sit for extended periods like they do and today’s oils.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

Sometimes they break, don't worry about it, put a new one on and keep on truckin'

17. Switch to roller rockers.

nunattax and loudbang like this.
  18. Fogger

Fogger

If you go to roller rockers don't waste your money on the roller tip only. You'd be better off with a new set of stock GM stamped rockers. Invest in a quality set of stainless full rollers. The roller tip only are notorious for eating pushrods, it's a 50/50 chance they will fail.

mad mikey, loudbang and Penetrator like this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Good to know. Thank you !!!

loudbang likes this.
  20. mkubacak

mkubacak

You forgot to tag him.

@31Vicky with a hemi

loudbang, Johnny Gee and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! It’s a SBC.. all kidding aside best are Jessel or T&B shaft setups but u need the guide plate style heads that you don’t have or need for your application.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. saltracer219

saltracer219

It has factory rotators on the exhaust valves, since the valve rotates they are harder on rockers than standard retainers! You might want to check the rest of the exhaust rockers for wear.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What part of Don't wasn't understood? ;)

loudbang likes this.
  24. My BB 396 did this more times than I wanted in the mid 70's with new equipment. Always tore down that side just to make sure. Dennis Wells was getting tired - I'm sure - of me bringing in one head......but he knew maybe something I didn't. It wasn't a race engine just a street so I didn't put the best stuff in - just what I could afford. Ran a 1964 SS with a later Muncie and a mild 396. 1964 SS front.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  25. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I wanted to say, hey sometimes old shit breaks. But i see you replaced the old stuff. So now i"ll say I'm not surprised. I would rather source old parts and put them on. Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  26. Never seen that before. o_O

loudbang likes this.
  27. Lmao

28. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I remember a notable rocker arm failure. Wife and I were on our way from NH to St. Paul. We were on the interstate in Chicago, that potion that is like a canyon below the surrounding area. Noise suddenly started, loud and scary. Pulled off a ramp that led to a McDonalds and pulled the rocker cover. The SBC rocker center had failed, broken out. So what to do. Good thing it was daylight and wife stayed with the car, reluctantly, and I set off in search of a replacement. About a mile of walking I found a filling station that had a big pail of used "parts" under a bench. Found a used rocker arm and walked back, installed it and finished the trip. Stuff happens.

i.rant, Moriarity and Algoma56 like this.
  29. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

I built a W about 10 years ago and decided to put new pressed steel rockers, Elgin 43, this was the result after about 1000 miles, turns out they were made in the far east CHHHINNA. If I use stamped rockers I use good GM OEM used items.
    100_2572.JPG 100_2573.JPG 100_2574.JPG 100_2575.JPG

30. Hemis have hardened chrome plated shafts with bronze bushed forged steel rockers.