Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trying to remove cam in Ford 260...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fisher400, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Replacing my cam in my stock 2 barrel Ford 260 (Nov 62 early block) and it won’t come out. What am I missing? The youtubers make it look like the cam leaps out of the block!

The heads are getting worked on so I am replacing the tired cam and lifters with either a stock or Summit SUM-K3601 very mild cam.

I have the block rotated upside down on the stand so the lifters are off the lobes (too varnished to be pulled out, planning to push them through one the cam is out). Thrust plate is off, timing gear is on as a handle and I can’t get this to budge... any thoughts or tips are appreciated. Also, if you put a new cam in a 260, I would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Ohh and yes this is my first cam swap.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Ted Chandler

Ted Chandler

Did the camshaft move out at all? If it did, I am guessing that 1 or more of the hung up lifters are intruding and causing interference.

vtx1800 likes this.
  3. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks, no it didn’t move a bit. I was able to pull each lifter in and out (some more than others obviously)which tells me none are making full contact on the cam when upside down. Just trying to be cautious here and not mess up something! Do the lifters absolutely need to be out to yank a cam?

4. Try turning it while you pull out... there's probably some varnish somewhere. And if the motor is upside down with the pan off, you can reach in with a long punch and push the lifters out at least part way. Remember, you're not saving the lifters, you'll need new ones with a new cam.

You did pull the distributor, right?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Ok, posts are more enjoyable with pics:[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  6. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Ohh I am sure there is varnish on this thing. The cam is yellow with it lol. Will try that

7. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your lifters may be up off the cam lobe, but they need to clear the cam lobe nose as well as the cam bearing surface on the cam. Normal practice would be to remove them before the cam.

olscrounger likes this.
  8. Have you measured the bore? It looks like a 221 to me....

The 260 is 3.8", the 221 is 3.5".

9. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Turns fine but still doesn’t want to pull out. I cringe to ask if the back cam plug can be tapped in will that bump the cam free. Don’t want to mess up any bearings of course.... just a suggestion. Or just keep roaring and pulling on the timing gear?

oldiron 440 likes this.
  10. studebaker46

studebaker46

here is a trick an old ford mech taught me back in 70s on the very same engine. get a can or 2 of zeps pentatrating oil and a good magnet spray the lifters good and use the magnet to bounce the lifters up and down and then spray the cam bearings really good if you can turn it by hand you should be able to remove it. Tom

Fisher400 likes this.
  11. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Yea, good question. I verified the block numbers it is a really early 62 260 with only 4 plugs on the block. It’s the original engine in my 63 Sprint.

12. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

No issues with the penetrating oil and the rest of the pistons etc? Not tearing the rest down so just don’t want other chemicals that don’t mix well with engine oil. It’s a good idea and will try it if the oil isn’t an issue!

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Penetrating oil shouldn't be an issue. Roll the motor back upright on the stand after you get the cam and lifters out and it will all drain out anyway. Once you get the new cam and lifters in you'll do a cam break in, and shortly thereafter do an oil change so any residual penetrating oil will be flushed out.

14. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Ok, that makes sense and I was planning to change after the break in so that’s good.

15. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

What takes off varnish? Lacquer thinner! Dribble thinner around each lifter and slowly work up and down. It might take fifty or more cycles but once varnish is dissolved the lifter will lift right out.

Fisher400 likes this.
  16. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Bolt the gear back on with a couple of pry bars behind the gear and gently work them back and forth. Also gentle persuasion with a slide hammer will often work.

17. RmK57

RmK57

Rotate the engine enough so you can grab on to a lifter with visegrips and wiggle them loose. Unless your saving them of coarse.

Fisher400 likes this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know , I know some will throw apples at me but I would throw new cam bearings in as well. No better time. Also check your rocker arms and pushrods for wear.

19. Was this a running driving motor? Why are you taking it apart? Did it burn oil or what?

I hesitate to say this, but if the lifters won't come out because of varnish build up, I'd be pulling everything out to clean and or replace. It might need rings, rod, main and cam bearings too.
    Tell us the rest of the story. o_O

Hnstray and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I never had a sbf. Does it have a retainer plate? lol. Lippy

21. George

George

If that photo is current the cam plate is still on!

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

They have only been in the block for 58 years, what were you expecting.?

Fisher400 likes this.
  23. Jokester

Jokester

Did you remove the fuel pump? I'm not a Ford guy, but some engines run the fuel pump arm right on the cam.

.bjb

irishsteve, Deuces, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  24. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

No juicy back story on the engine. Has 55k on it org miles. Was fixed up with a new timing chain and seals back in the 80’s. Original carb intake fuel pump etc. my plan is to keep it original down to sprint stickers on the valve covers. Pulled it to repaint the engine compartment, new clutch, T5 trans, repaint the block etc you know “ while I am in there stuff”. The engine ran fine just needed a valve job and a good cleaning. The heads are at a engine shop right now having that done.

25. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

It’s off, the gear is on to give a handle to pull and rotate

26. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Will certainly check them out, can you put new bearings in without taking out the crank/ pistons?

27. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Yup, that comes off with the timing cover

28. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Lifters need to come out. Just because it's off the heel of IT'S lobe doesn't mean it's clear the lobe BEHIND it.

partssaloon, bchctybob and Fisher400 like this.
  29. Remove the lifters, your going to replace them anyway. HRP

30. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I have a very strong magnetic, thinner, acetone and zep. I see if I can bounce them or vice grip them and yank the lifters...thanks for the advice!