Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cam lobes problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Jun 3, 2020.

1. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

What the hell? Don't you have an angle grinder? I can't believe you would send it back. I swear, some people just aren't willing to do anything themselves anymore...

seb fontana and alchemy like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ha, I can top that, told this once before.
    Guy at work, we called him "squirrel" had a Pinto with a flat cam, he was a real tightwad.
    One day at lunch he pulls the car into the bay, removes the cam cover and welds and grinds the flat cam lobes.
    We all just laughed and laughed!

G-son likes this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Never seen that before but I did try swapping cams in a "rebuilder" 350 Chevy once and the journals were too big. After checking diameters the original was actually smaller. They were regrinding cores and using an undersized bearing. Lucked out and found a local crank grinder that could turn the new one down to match for $40.00 and avoid removing and disassembling the whole thing to swap bearings.

4. see...........that's what valve covers do for you.........................:confused:

5. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Guess @squirrel has come a long way since then...

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Continental 4 cylinders used in some Massey tractors did not run cam bearings

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  7. The engines in the Farmall A, B, C, and Cubs are that way too. The H and M engines might be as well, but I haven’t had to overhaul one of those yet. The Farmalls run forever under some brutal conditions and never give trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U likes this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

New cam has arrived. I'm sure his uncle will get the motor together just fine-as said he has built Offys and sprint motors for many years, My son-in-laws cousin (Jeff Andrews) is also the head man for Hendricks Engine shop so there is a depth of knowledge there.