Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to lower a 1957 ford fairlane ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rod and Wheeler, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

IMG_2842.JPG How to lower a 57 ford beyond 3 inches by cutting the inner fender panels ?so the A frame clears the inter fender panel and dropped spindels aren,t enough my car is lowered with dropped spindels already and dropped coil spings . Does any one make lowering kit with modfied A- frames ( no bags ) Would like to lower by mechanical by means.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Packrat

Packrat

I don't have an answer to your question, just wanted to say I love that car just like it is.

3. RmK57

RmK57

The only a-arms I'm aware of for a 57 Ford are made by Fat Man fabrications. They're tubular but wont lower your car but do give more camber.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Love the frenched headlights the 57 looked bug eyed factory. Fat man tube arms would require less cutting you would only have to cut to clear the tubes not a whole stamping.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. I gotta say something don't add up in what your saying. This one of mine sits close to the same as yours without any drive train, glass, bumpers, gas tank or interior. It's just a rolling body shell (rear seat cushion is all that's inside). It does have Dropped Spindles but 28" tall tires for rollers. I'll also say this is not my first 57 Ford. It is my first one with Dropped Spindles. In the past I'd just cut one coil and they sit Okay with an FE under the hood. That said I'll tell ya I have damaged many a front crossmember from impact with the ground. The real issue with 57/58 Fords is that even on the ground the problem is the Front Bumper. It sits above the chassis. No matter what you do these cars still look like they should be lower thanks to that one issue. Just look at your photo of your car. The bottom of the front bumper is above the bottom of the Rocker and the Rocker bottom is above the bottom of the Frame rail.
    09-18-10 002.jpg

6. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I think that the car looks terrific just like it is. :)

7. 2935ford

2935ford

My thoughts as well.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What coil springs did you use? Seems like the car should be lower than it looks in the photo, having done dropped spindles and springs.

guthriesmith and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any lower and you won’t be able to turn it. 56 pickup light rings are a must for a 57...

alanp561 likes this.
  10. RmK57

RmK57

Aerostar front coils will get it about 3" lower, any more than that you may not be able to get proper wheel alignment.

11. My thoughts as well.

Malcolm and guthriesmith like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Carloada works for me.
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Packrat like this.
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Me too!

Packrat likes this.
  14. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Go take a look at thhttp://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.phpe web site. Cool bunch of guys that have done it all to 57s.

15. Rod and Wheeler

Rod and Wheeler
    from NOR CAL

Thanks for all the input just maybe the coils are not 2 inch so I told by some guru who did dropped spindels for 57s and he said what most of you basically are saying. He suggested lower the back with 3 inch blocks it now has 1 1/2 it will make the car look lower 57s are not made to lower even told me if I used his spindles I'd be wasting my time. The tires are 205 X 75R X 15 ( 27.3 tall )and the rims are 7X15 WITH 3 3/4 back spacing disc brakes with gm calipers and 1 inch inside fender clearance. I have 3 inch aluminum blocks I made just need to install just maybe it look lower. How's about some 60inch lake pipes.

16. Boy am I glad I didn't buy product or get advice from that Guy!!

17. Some people like kick stands, some don't. Your call.