Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2020 Banger Meet Thread - So Four So Good***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Eisenmann

Eisenmann

Jet96, Old Dawg, winduptoy and 4 others like this.
  2. Checking in.
    John, do you have any pictures of it? Not sure I understand correctly...

3. railcarmover

railcarmover

Interesting.Imagine the pucks must be some kind of poly compound like dacron.How much load do they handle? how long do they last?

4. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Bones showing..sport coupe like an ugly girlfriend who's good in bed,its a whole lot of fun till your friends catch you doing it..

mctim64, Dannerr, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Do you just solder the copper into the tee's too?that would shorten up the work,make fitting easier..Going to use an A pump,want to find a quality small relief valve..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Dannerr likes this.
  6. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Checking in. Installing a high compresion head.
    High Compression Head.JPEG

Old Dawg, Dustyp489, Dannerr and 3 others like this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

what head is that ? .................. steve

8. G Baese and winduptoy like this.
  9. see if this makes more sense. Mod A oil tube.jpg

Old Dawg, Dannerr and Jet96 like this.
  10. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Thank-you of the informative and prompt reply John

I will proceed based on your information and try and post some picture of the conversion.

Bob

Dannerr likes this.
  11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, they are steel. Depicted real well in the article and keeps me from pulling one apart.
    Thank you @hotrodfil
    As for longevity...longer than I'll be around
    Vibrationfree has made these for many other applications and is a proven technology. It just happens that they are Model A banger nuts.
    It has changed the complexion of every car that there has been one installed on. They are costly, but not as much as a broken crank.
    I'll shut up now

12. 97

That SOS article was updated in 2018 ( included on the link) to say that the pucks have been replaced with loose ball bearings.

Where Charlie Yapp says
    Rattlers are effective for the entire rpm range and they
    extend crankshaft and bearing life., is that the range of the original motor, or as far as you want to rev the engine, i.e does it mean you can safely rev a Model A to 6ooo rpm?

13. No.

14. 5280A2

5280A2

Try either of these available from McMaster-Carr. They are air relief valves but can handle temperatures up to 300 degrees. I have used the large one in a pressurized A since 2012 with no issues and have recently built a B where I used the small valve. The small valve only had one port so I disassembled it and drilled two additional relief ports to achieve more flow based on my experience with how the bigger valve has performed.

· McMaster-Carr PN 4772K2 1/8”-NPT X 1.75” height for 25 PSI at $9.71 each

· McMaster-Carr PN 4772K4 1/4"-NPT X 2.50” height for 25 PSI at $13.27 each

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

Old Dawg and Dannerr like this.
  15. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

It's a 5.5:1 from Snyder's Model A Parts.

16. jadz928

jadz928
    from Michigan

Checking in. Head is back on, rocker assy finished and in transit, then custom pushrods to be spec'd and built, then go!
    0603201623~2.jpg

17. railcarmover

railcarmover

Thanks,nice work..was thinking about running the relief external which would allow relief adjustments without opening the engine up,by using bulkhead fittings on the valve cover...Ive got Yapps article on it just have to actually read it :)..but everything might change coming up here,got a date with what looks like a honey hole saturday..41 lincoln OD trans,21 stud and a 59AB lead the list he says he has a huge stash and wants to sell,Ill roll with cash,it might determine the next build..Ive been down this road before,its all shit till you lay eyes on it..

18. railcarmover

railcarmover

Interesting.. I bet it sounds like a hand full of change was tossed in the bellhousing...not that clatter bothers me if its beneficial.

winduptoy likes this.
  19. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

As far as I know all the repop original caps whether gas or radiator are vented between the cap and the threads in the cap. I actually soldered the small vent slits closed and used RTV between a rubber gasket and teflon on the threads and it still leaked. finally gave up and had the inlet on the rad replaced and used the modern style twist lock with a 32 cap. I wasn't trying to pressurize the system, just wanted it to siphon back through the overflow from an overflow tank.

20. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The latest... No ball bearings. Pucks in a kidney shaped pocket. The radius allows the puck to move to absorb the torsional energy when the centrifugal force has it against the it.
    The remaining shape controls the puck as the engine stops.
    This reduces/eliminates the 'rattling' that could occur as the engine comes to rest on shutdown.
    IMG_20200604_105832273.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

G Baese, hotrodfil, jadz928 and 5 others like this.
  21. poshdbs

poshdbs

I'm picking up my Stirling flywheel Friday week. I'll ask Steve whats inside the latest ones. He has a plan to make a V8 out of two banger blocks. Because he's bored!!!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Bigcheese327 and winduptoy like this.
  22. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

I just order a combination external filter mount with adjustable relieve valve from Dan McEachern email [email protected] relief pressure rages from 5 psi and up as I understand. waiting on delivery of the unit.

waxhead likes this.
  23. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Picture of the filter relief unit

filter bracket pic.jpg

barrnone50, Jet96, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  24. railcarmover

railcarmover

^^^looks like ORFS fittings..nice work right there^^^^

25. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Larry - that is an interesting (and old) concept, I think it's pretty cool you got those over on this side of the ol' pond

G Baese and winduptoy like this.
  26. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

It's odd that I can no longer find the information from ww2 experiments pertaining to that concept....

winduptoy and Bigcheese327 like this.
  27. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Pretty busy looking, more pipes than an oil refinery. Nice job though and Swagelok fittings, high buck stuff.

winduptoy likes this.
  28. PhredH

PhredH

Dennis,
    I have had good luck luck with a large 3/16" thick O ring from the hardware store. Fitted inside the cap with just a light shmear of silicone grease to keep things friendly. Has lasted years for me. HTH
    Peace, Phred

winduptoy and Jet96 like this.
  29. railcarmover

railcarmover

I like the idea of external plumbing,you can fix it or adjust it without tearing the engine apart..those air compressor pop off valves constantly over relief is scary,those things are dicey when they protect a compressor.Dont mind paying to protect an engine..

30. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    Saturday's road trip,21 stud,a 59AB and this..got to pull the side cover and look,I hate it when a seller says no,buy it as is.It would make the whole trip a waste,I walk when a cat isn't reasonable no matter how bad I want it.

winduptoy likes this.