Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel ID 5x5.5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Good morning fellas,

I aquired these wheels sometime ago and I have been clearing out, would like to know exactly what they came off of. When I picked them up the seller had a 40s ford woody in the garage amd he said the wheels had come off of it. He wasnt the original owner infact it was an estate sale. I kno was the wheels are 5 on 5.5 lug pattern but I would like a proper ID on the wheels.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. They where around in the 40's and 50's. Basically they're inner bump (for the hubcap) 16x4.5, 5 on 5.5 b.p. Ford/Merc (up to '48) steelies.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    56 ford custom likes this.
  3. So these are definitely ford? I know a few other makes had 5.5 aswell.

4. Are these wheels desirable or not like the t" wide wheels? What would the value be on these?

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

plain ol' ford wheels. 40-48, 16" i assume. there will be a date on one of the triangle bumps between the lug holes, two digits, the year. 25 to 50 bucks if really nice

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think it possible they also could be Mercury ‘40/‘47. In ‘48, I believe, Mercury went to 15”.

Ray

7. I do remember measuting these and do believe they are 16" I can measure them again this evening.

8. Just look at the size printed on the tire. If you measure them remember to measure to the surface where the bead seats.

Charlie Stephens

9. flatford39

flatford39

Where did you get that nifty tire gauge????

10. I have had it for some time. Dont remember. Im sure you can find one on ebay?

11. They look like 16's (the 15" were wider 5-5.5"wide). If the bead area and valve stem holes are clean I would say $50 each around here. I was getting mine for $25 ea a few years ago, but I really had to wait and look. The prized ones are the 16x3.5 and 16x5.

12. eBay, Amazon, Jegs, Summit, Speedway all have them........I bought mine at the swapmeet :). They work great at the junkyard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MO54Frank and 56 ford custom like this.
  13. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

The ones that have three stripes on them look like Buick wheels. Nope, on second thought, they are missing the pin locator hole.

14. That are what smoothie wheels are designed after. So yes desirable enough and they are a good width for a rear wheel on a hotrod or fronts on a later '40 or '50s car.

15. I just sold a nice pair of Ford 16 x 4-1/2 wheels for $175.
    That might have been too low because they sold in an hour and I had about ten people in line.
    PYeZ7hS2R8ayknQD4J1CAQ.jpg

16. I thought they might look good on the back of my coupe since I am going to be running spindle mounts but I think I will save up for some traditional mags.

porknbeaner likes this.
  17. The striping makes me think mid '40's as in '46 to '48 Ford/Merc.

jimmy six and 56 ford custom like this.
  18. Yes, Ford and Merc from 1946-48 (I believe) but will fit down to 1940 (which I think were 3.5-4" wide) not 100%. But 100% on the Ford/Merc, Lincolns had clips and Buick/Olds was 5 on 5.

19. I measured the wheel and its definitely 16"

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three pinstrips are 47-48 if original and they look to be..

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

have you looked for the year stamped on there yet? thats always fun, wish all parts had a date on them

22. Darn I forgot to. I will look for a date on them after work.

23. Cool man. I like mags.

24. I need to find some that match

Attached Files:

25. Well when you are finding things I could use a pair of 18s for my bike. LOL

I have seen those old front runners paired with lots of different rears. They are made from Expensium but a pair of wide Palamides would pair really well with them. ;)

[​IMG]

26. What kind of bike do you have? But yeah thats the type of wheel I want.

27. Shovel a bowling ball. We were using American 12 spokes when my bike was new. That was before mag wheels were common.

28. Awesome!!! Im putting together a triumph and a few BSA's

29. In the latter part of the '70s the American mags got put on about one of everything. Often it was a mis matched set, a 4x15 on the rear and a 3x18 on the front. They actually sold them set up for Harleys.

I built a set for a guy to run on a Bowling Ball from a mis matched set of 18s. I found a pair cheap at a swap meet because one was a 4" and one was a 3". he ran a 4.00x18 on the rear and a 3.25x18 on the front.

I digress we don't do bikes anymore sorry.