Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods tight spot between radiator and water pump needs a necessary fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Jun 2, 2020.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

I don't have the best pictures but this metal fan has wide fins that make it necessary to run a fan spacer so it doesn't hit the alternator and lower pulley. Who makes a slim design fan, or maybe dual electric high CFM electric?

IMG_0436.jpeg IMG_0035.jpeg IMG_9849.jpeg

2. drumyn29

drumyn29

Not a lot of room in front but I can probably fit 2 14" electric fans. Anyone have any good recommendations?

IMG_0034.jpeg VOFD0317.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. The fan that is on the car has never been a good design and are known to come apart at speed, I am not a big fan (excuse the pun) of electric fans but in your case I believe it would do a better job. HRP

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

It robs horsepower but the steel fixed fans off Chevy 235s have always worked well in my hot rods. Usually they’re not too big OD and have kept a 440 Mopar happy before so I was happy.

Elcohaulic, RICH B and loudbang like this.

5. drumyn29

drumyn29

My daily driver is a 235, I'll check in the morning.

loudbang likes this.
  6. brading

brading

If you go with a steel fan a shroud would help cooling.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like HRP said an electric fan would probably be best with what you have room wise

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I run a pusher Spal electric fan with thermostat control for 7 years now on my Mercury. SBC, Walker radiator, no problems, fans are rated by CFM, also suggest you buy a good radiator, not some china/import $99 deal, also not a $39 fan, most of cooling problems I read on hear are usually from pinching the penny too hard. A puller fan is better but many cars end up with pusher because of clearance problems and your car is also limited on radiator size. IMO, go overkill on cooling components to avoid problems when driving. This free advice is worth the price you paid. Good Luck, Have at it.

missysdad1 likes this.
  9. That's one "bad ass" delivery van!

10. drumyn29

drumyn29

Does Spal sell pusher and puller fans or are they directional with changing the wires.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Do not remember, do the research, see whats available now, go to Speedway Motors, Summit, Jegs, all sell Spal I believe.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Some flex fans are crap, but the one that's on the engine looks like one of the good ones. I would use it, if possible. There are lots of different spacers available to put it in the correct position, if there's room for it.

The pictures and description don't really show me what I need to know to figure out how to fit a fan in there. First..how much room is there between the lower pulley, and the radiator? also, how big diameter fan will fit? If there is not enough room for this fan, then you might see if it's possible to move the radiator forward, to make room for the fan.

13. Here's the best advice going so far. "then you might see if it's possible to move the radiator forward, to make room for the fan". Probably much easier than moving the motor back to make room.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've used the Maradyne plastic fan blades on stock sbc and keeps it plenty cool.. They are perfectly flat on the front and only about 1/4" thick... eBay-$24...

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

No room to move radiator forward and the fan is CLOSE, like 1/2 an inch to the radiator. It has a spacer but it seems like the spacer is important because the fan would hit the alternator. It has a 1" spacer now.

16. drumyn29

drumyn29

I didn't want to start a major project but I may just have to move engine back.

IMG_0456.jpeg IMG_0457.jpeg IMG_0458.jpeg

17. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SPAL does (or did) sell puller versus pusher fans, it is not just a matter of reversing polarity to change direction of rotation. I don't recall the specifics, but SPAL advised me years ago that the airfoil design is different between the two fans. I did get better results with a SPAL pusher fan on the front of the radiator of my 56 Chevy pickup years ago.

wicarnut likes this.
  18. drumyn29

drumyn29

I just spoke with them and I think we have a good plan of attack!

I just ordered 2 of these. Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 8.43.27 AM.png

wicarnut likes this.
  19. Hold on there. Why are you running a Long water pump? There's your fan blade space. Go to a short pump and re mount the alt. Much easier project.

20. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

I cant believe no one mentioned using a short water pump on your small block! It would should give you about 3/4 inch more room.

JeffB2 and Blue One like this.
  21. First photo showing the actual pump. For those of us that have fought that battle it just seems the natural place to start. For those that haven't they don't know.

22. squirrel

squirrel

I should have noticed the alternator being on the pass side, which is the clue that it has a long water pump.

JeffB2 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  23. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Summer - time for the cooling questions.

First, I have used Flex-a-Lite fans on a variety of vehicles with no failures and good results for 40 years. Can’t comment on other brands.

Second, switching the wires on an electric fan is not the way to get them to flow correct, the design needs to have a fan that can be removed and oriented the proper way, not all brands have that feature.

24. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I think the best advise is above and one I would do first. Short pump, move alternator. Plenty of brackets out there to make it all line up, both oem and aftermarket.

Id choose a manual over electric fan any day of the week if possible. Went to alot of trouble on my 31 tudor and 440 to keep a manual fan and dont regret any of it.

Blues4U likes this.
  25. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Spal has a 2.05" thick puller FWIW Part # 30100400 16"

26. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

They have unique part numbers for pull, push, straight and curved blades in any size you may need.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut likes this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Went thru 3 flex fans on an OT car (sbc 6500+ rpm, big cam) and the thing wasnt cooling, swapped the stock clutch fan back on - no issues. Made a believer out of me.

Water pump pulley swap sounds like it'll give the room you need for stock fan and shroud.

28. squirrel

squirrel

A clutch fan is best, but they do take up more room....

jaracer, Pist-n-Broke and indyjps like this.
  29. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

It's not unheard of to mount a alt. On the rear end either... If it Goes short pump an still ridiculous tight...

30. indyjps

indyjps

If youre planning on spending a lot of time at the strip, the electric fans may help with staging lanes and keeping consistent temps thru rounds.