Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A Personal View of Shoebox Fords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Sep 15, 2010.

1. frosty-49

frosty-49

My avatar is mine. Can't figure out how to post a picture. Nosed,decked slammed and full house flatty

2. back up. this is a great thread.

3. vwdave30

vwdave30

Gotta love a shoebox ford

4. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I do, playmate for fifty years..

Attached Files:

Hdonlybob likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

great cars, great thread

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ what he said.
    I’ve liked ‘49-51 Fords ever since my Dad bought one to replace his Hudson back in 1955 or so. For some reason I’ve never owned one of my own. I did save an old ‘50 custom pickup conversion from the crusher but after evaluating the rust I decided it would go down the road to a friend with better body working skills. Maybe someday.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

crestliner.jpg
    This is one of mine

9. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The skirts kinda break up the flow, don't they?

50Fraud likes this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-20_4-18-16.png most recent viewing of a cool ford sedan
    50 Ford CHRISTMAS CRUISING So Cal
    PREVIOUS POST

Hello,

In the late 60s, after we were married, we were interested in getting another 50’s hot rod. We thought that if I arrived at various magazines and customer photo shoots in an older car, that would win them over. Even if I had to go to some motorcycle photo shoots, arriving in an old hot rod would win their hearts, instead of a modern car. We were looking for something that we could fix or add to make it driveable and of course, very reliable. Growing up at or near the beach, a woody wagon would have been perfect. The one we saw and looked at was nice, but it did not work out on a sale. So, this 1950 Ford Coupe we found for sale in inland OC had just the old time look and a little power with that bigger Flathead motor.

The 2 door Ford Coupe was black(slightly faded paint), had light grey upholstery, with a built up Flathead and a LaSalle floor shifter. The guy had several 50s cars and wanted to get rid of one. After looking at it, inspecting it for oddities, we made a good offer near his asking price. We are sure that because he had several old cars in that garage, he assumed he had the upper hand in any bargaining. So, he refused the offer we made. It was a Flathead powered, three, two barrel carbs, chrome rims and nice upholstery. It even sounded nice on starting.

But, it was not to be on this road trip. My wife was anxious to leave that garage. Something did not smell right. It was either the person, the garage, or the interior, something spooked her and she gave me the “high-eye” motion to get the $%@@ out of there.
    upload_2020-2-20_4-20-28.png upload_2020-2-20_4-20-40.png A similar looking Ford

Jnaki

Did the floor shift ding the purchase? On the way out of the over-stuffed garage in Central OC, my wife said, it did not have A/C. Ha! That sealed the “no deal.” If that was the case, A/C could have been added, but that was an episode that was never mentioned again. I also think that the seller was a big head guy that thought his old cars were worth the price he was asking, without any bargaining. I kept seeing the same ads for several more months.

We moved on to another 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery that was for sale at a small speed shop just around the corner from this industrial garage in Central OC. We drove home happy with that purchase, in A/C comfort. But, it needed a lot of work to get it reliable and driveable.

11. My only HAMB friendly ride so far. Resized_20200209_145217.jpeg

UNCLECHET and olscrounger like this.
  12. One thing that I have noticed on these cars, the lower they are the better they look!
    IMHO

13. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I also have always liked the simple design of these cars as it leaves the customizer so much freedom. They also look good as a hot rod or even stock they attract a lot of attention.
    This one is staying stock type but the Merc Mill will get 2x2 intake to go with the cam and ignition. Add some chrome inside with two tone tuck n roll. Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dyno Dave, UNCLECHET and olscrounger like this.
  14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Since this thread is still attracting posts, I'll show off a little. My own 1950.5 Phantom Victoria is still alive and kicking, and I recently added some wheel covers that I've long admired: They're '56 Chrysler spinners, and they're very rare. In fact, I have never seen a set on any other custom than mine: IMG_1536.JPG
    tightShot.JPG
    They look better in 3D than in photographs, which is too bad, but I'm committed now. This is the fifth different set of hubcaps I've had in the 31 years I've owned the car, and who knows? Maybe something else will get my attention before it's all over.

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Re-reading this thread, it occurred to me that it may be a good place for an announcement: I'm thinking of buying a '49 or '50 coupe (ONLY), to be finished as a very mild restomod. Very nearly stock exterior, very low, upgraded chassis and drivetrain so that it's a contemporary high-performance ride. Examples of similar cars would be Steve Gibbs' '50, or the '50 appearing in post #120 of this thread. If you have such a coupe for sale, or if you know of one, please let me know.

Bigcheese327 likes this.
  16. Finally able to put a few miles on the old girl. Resized_20200529_143734.jpeg

leon bee and Bigcheese327 like this.
  17. leon bee

leon bee

^^That's a great looking car.

18. Well, it is green.:rolleyes:

19. A little rough around the edges but still fun. Resized_20200529_145559.jpeg

20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

21. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

22. Crayons

Crayons

Tony, your 56 Chrysler tri-bars are only the SECOND set of these I've ever seen. Connie Todley , who owned All American Auto Wrecking in Vancouver , had a set on his beautiful black 48 Fleetline .

23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

24. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

25. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My Brother and some buddies built this one at the hobby shop @ Miramar Naval Base, San Diego, 1959. Jerry's Shoebox.jpg

27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife has owned this one 20 years. Subtle chop, Built Y block, 700R4, power Steering, custom front suspension and power steering, Disc brakes , yes its a girls car.
    E9DD4C85-575C-4CE4-8B50-724B3647A4B0.jpeg

Cooon and uncleandy 65 like this.
  28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great thread.
    A Shoebox Ford has been on my bucket list since I was (14)....now am (76)...but has just always escaped me..
    I absolutely love them, and have seriously considered selling my Biscayne, which I have had for (10) years, but just can't let go of it to start another project at my age, as well a physical condition..
    DamnDaddy,..however I still an dream when I see posts like this..
    Here are a few if my favorite pictures..

Attached Files:

29. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

30. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65