Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It’s alive!!! A 1964 Chrysler tale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, May 25, 2020.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

Do your self a favor and change the trans filter and fluid, at 95,000 miles and all these years sitting, the trans filter can't be far from being plugged. I had one that had about that many miles on it and sat about the same amount of time, the filter plugged up and killed the trans in less then 1,000 miles. I couldn't tell there was a problem until one day it just didn't move. When I dropped the pan, I knew right away what the problem was, but it was too late.

Those 383s are good motors, does yours have a 2bbl carb or a 4bbl carb?

My grandson has a 63 Newport 4 door sedan. He is 19 and loves that car. The chrome reverse look really good on his car, but with the color of your car, I suspect dark wheels like Vintage Torque Thrust wheels would look great. Gene

Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  2. Oh yea it will be serviced. I have two chrome reverse and two torque thrust style wheels, can’t remember exactly what they are right now, that’s why I was curious what it would look like, maybe not the right car for that.

it’s a two barrel. Seems too run good so far

61Cruiser, catdad49, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  3. Good job Lane ,
    I knew it would work out alright .
    There is a lot of beautiful country up there to ride around in with the top down .

I told you that old Mopar would run fine,,,,383’s are hard to hurt .

Tommy

4. Tune up today, it’s getting better all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. For the U.S. market these cars may have also used a 361 2bbl engine which looked mostly the same as the 383 at a glance. Not sure what they offered up north. And don't forget that you probably have both right hand and left hand wheel stud threads on this tank. Unless someone else has already changed half of them over.

6. IMG_1973.JPG IMG_1974.JPG

This is just a quick wash with a sponge, looks 100% better already. Can’t wait to get the parts car, the bumpers on it are absolutely as perfect as you will find on an original car.

7. I’m a die hard mopar guy, I know all about the wheel studs

The Windsor, which was a Canadian model only from ‘61-‘64 was only offered with a 383, options were 2 or 4 barrel, mines a 2.

catdad49, Thor1, Sandgroper and 4 others like this.
  8. You know, I should have figured that from your screen name. :rolleyes:

But Dayum . . . That sure cleaned up nice with a bit of soap and elbow grease! Even the top looks pretty good. :cool: You're ready to roll!

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  9. The paint could use a polish, and the top needs more scrubbing but I’m extremely happy with how it looks, once the good bumpers are on it it’ll be great! Ordered tires today and need to fix an exhaust leak and we are ready to go

61Cruiser, catdad49, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The colors on this car are very neutral/plain and therefore the right wheels and tires are really going to make all the difference in how it appears.

Thor1, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. Rusty J

Rusty J

I know these cars well - I'm the second owner of a black 64 300 4dr hardtop That I got from the original owner 12 years ago. The factory service manual is my best friend - I've rebuilt the engine/trans (383 2bbl), brakes, front suspension, electrical and partially restored the interior. It's a great family cruiser with all the windows down. Easy to work on, and keep every clip,nut/bolt, etc from your parts car - it's getting harder to find the specific parts for these cars (my front bumper was twisted down on the drivers side too). Mid Canada Suspension here in Winnipeg will have the majority of parts you may need - Norm really knows his stuff on the old cars. Looking forward to seeing more progress with this car!

12. The parts car is 100% complete, it will spend the rest of its life sitting in my yard just Incase!

As far as wheel selection goes, it’ll be something I have on hand for now, the budget has been depleting faster than replenishing these days

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

As Gene was commenting on the transmission, I would add, check the rear end fluid level too. I resurrected a car that had been sitting a long time and the rear end was bone dry - not a drop.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Kume

Kume

So that is where the Austin Allegro got its steering wheel from

54 ford coupe and Thor1 like this.
  15. Absolutely, everything will be serviced, wheel bearings repacked etc. before it hits the road, thanks for the reminder, sometimes I’m excited to drive stuff and overlook the little stuff!

I actually have a newer 83/4 rear end to go in it to get rid of the tapered axles for ease of getting at the brakes

catdad49, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Awesome! Is that original paint? Just pop on original hubcaps.

17. My vote is for the chrome reverse :D

raven, Thor1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Wow, featured thread again, go man go. :)

Thor1, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

I'm in for the chrome reverse as well :D

20. It has been repainted before but I think it will get chrome reverse in the back!

catdad49, Thor1, Sandgroper and 3 others like this.
  21. Nice find, looks solid. Consider changing the master since it has sat so long. Look at the wheel cylinders and brake hoses before going too far.

I usually put old cars on 4 jack stands and pull the brakes off, replace everything.

Randy D, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  22. My dad loved those big ugly Chryslers. Owned a bunch of them...Nicest was a '57 300 Convertible.

23. Might want to check the engine numbers, if memory is correct the base engine in 1964 Newports were 361's, 383's were optional at least in the U.S.. Canadian and export cars may be different.

24. It’s a Windsor, they did not get 361’s, they were 383 only. I haven’t confirmed that’s what’s in the car, but if it hasn’t been changed then that’s what it should be.

catdad49, Thor1, Sandgroper and 2 others like this.
  25. sololobo

sololobo

What an amazing MoPar, I love these cars and this one is el supreemo. Best wishes on getting her on the road, caution: Much Fun Ahead!!!

Thor1, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  26. Thanks man, I love it more everyday

27. jaracer

jaracer

If you're changing the trans fluid, be sure and adjust the rear band. Torque Flites have a history of breaking the rear band resulting in no reverse. To repair it you have to pull the trans. I've always thought the the band breaking was from never adjusting it. All the ones I saw broke were on high mileage cars. You have to remove the pan to adjust the rear band.

Thor1, Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  28. atch

atch

That thing would look killer in black. If you're not dead set on keeping the color original give that some thought.

29. I fully agree, I’m not hung up on the original color at all but have no plans to paint it any time soon. I need to start driving it and get back to the Fargo.

One day it will get paint. I don’t see this car ever going anywhere.

Tires will be in on Tuesday and a little exhaust work and it’ll be ready to go.

30. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

That car reminds me of the time I thought my older brother was going to kill me :eek:
    I was 17 and he was 27, he worked on the rail road. My brother really needed a car for work.
    He told me about this car he seen for sale on the way home and was going to go look at it the next day, (payday)
    Was same model Chrysler as yours, but a 2 door hard top. And gray paint.

I went and looked at it while my brother was at work, ended up buying it for $50 and towed it home. Figured out it needed a ballast resister to run and fixed it. I was fiddling and tuning it when he came home ... smiling ear to ear and thinking how proud he would be when he found out what a great car he got at a cheap price.

His co worker dropped him off at the end of the driveway, he had steam pouring out his ears by the time he got to me .... thinking I bought the car for myself knowing he wanted it. I had to run away and take a walk for a 1/2 hour to let him cool down enough to tell him why I bought it.

Great highway cruisers, Lots of power ... brother had to drive 100 miles a day to get back and forth to work.
    And often would drive it to the RR parking lot then be working out of town for weeks before driving home .... Great car but the gas mileage ate him up and later bought a more economical car for work and sold the chrysler for more then he paid.

I just cant look at your car and not chuckle about the time I thought my brother was going to do physical harm to me. :D

catdad49, Hemiman 426, Thor1 and 3 others like this.