Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods recognize these bolt head markings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by error404, May 30, 2020.

1. error404

error404
    from CA

I'm pretty sure these are grade 8 bolts, they have these markings on them that I've never seen. And the head of the bolt is "dished" slightly, maybe 1/16" deep.

They were holding the leaf springs to the axle on the front of my 33. I'm positive they aren't original, but I've never seen this marking before, kinda neat! I also found a few smaller bolts on the engine that have these markings. Every single bolt on the truck is grade 8 (but with the usual grade 8 markings), so I'm guessing these are grade 8 as well

Anyone know what it means, or seen it before? If nobody knows, I'm just going to assume they are alien hardware from a space ship. :D

bolthead.jpg .

Deuces likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used them too. They were sold to me as grade 8’s even tho they not have the typical marking of an 8.

3. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Grade 8 bolt has the 6 radial lines and these have VI on them.....so maybe a grade 8 bolt manufactured in Rome?:p

vtx1800, XXL__ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. error404

error404
    from CA

Yeah, I figured the 6 meant 6 marks, not grade 6 (is grade 6 even a thing?)

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. error404

error404
    from CA

woah, thank you! I'm saving those! What a great find :)

7. indyjps

indyjps

Thats Interesting. Has to be for specific industry or spec.
    The hash marks we are used to seeing or refer to are SAE spec.

ASTM, Aircraft, Structural(steel), are other specs that have specific bolt markings.

Could be manufacturer specific, look at Caterpillar bolts, most are branded.

Maybe its a NASA or government bolt, that could be an $8000 bolt that went to surplus. :D

Texas Webb likes this.
  8. error404

error404
    from CA

haha! I'm gonna go with NASA, that sounds cool :D I'm definitely keeping these. I have a small bin that I keep interesting hardware in.

9. error404

error404
    from CA

I just went through both of those documents, didn't see anything that looked close to this. I'm guessing these are probably some cheap imports? I hope not, because they look neat :)

RollinRock and HunterYJ like this.
  10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I'd say an...offshore manufacturer somewhere.

Do they "ring" like a GOOD quality fastener, or do they "thud" like lower grade fasteners when slapped with another piece of metal ?

Mike

11. Keep in mind that Grade 8 refers to the tensile strength of the material. You also need to know the fracture toughness of the material after heat treating. Most off-shore bolts are low quality steel, heat treated to a high tensile strength. Do not use them in applications that can kill you when they fail!!

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. error404

error404
    from CA

they do make the same noise as the other grade 8 bolts of the same size

13. I'd go with the alien theory:cool:

bobss396 and Deuces like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That’s not VI........you are reading it upside down.....it’s IA...they were made in Iowa ;)

vtx1800, Texas Webb, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  15. error404

error404
    from CA

hm... I wonder!

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:D

(I really was amazed at the references posted by @theHIGHLANDER . Very interesting and informative)

17. larry k

larry k

Did they come from Roswell ????

Deuces likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've wasted a bit too much time searching and the insignia doesn't seem to be currently registered. https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/FQA_Registry_2.pdf
    Normally gold anodized bolts aren't "Cheap low grade foreign bolts" They are usually grade 8 or above.
    I'm thinking that those bolts are either private label similar to the Cat Equipment bolts that have/had their distinctive design on them.
    Other thoughts:
    Manufacture did a logo/trademark upgrade/change.
    Manufacture got bought out and the new owner changed logos.
    Manufacture closed their doors but there are still bolts they made floating around.

19. error404

error404
    from CA

The newest then can be is 15-20 years old, so that's definitely a possibility that company isn't around anymore, or has changed markings.

They don't SEEM like cheap bolts to me, but honestly, I really wouldn't know how to tell. They make the same sound as grade 8 bolts I get from McMaster, and seem to have good finish and similar hardness. These bolts heads were 4-6 inches off the ground exposed on the front axle, and the finish seems to have held up nicely.

20. Deuces

Deuces

Yep!.... :D

21. I've had to look up some head markings for work and was amazed how regulated they were. You can't run and you can't hide. I used the resource to identify some stainless bolts at Ace Hardware which turned out to be an A286 alloy.