Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is it ok to use 12volt battery in 6 volt system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wizard, May 25, 2020.

1. deucemac

deucemac

Jimmy, I am sure there were 56s that worked very well with their 12V gauges. However corporate wide was another issue. I got this from Ford people that worked on them new, and when Ford dropped the King Selle 6v IVR gauges in 1986 for the GM style magnetic gauges. Old timers came out of the woodwork with 1956 horror stories and huge warranty claims. I had a 56 pickup for several years and no gauge problem, but in the back of my mind was always what if.

2. Wizard

Wizard

Okay, looking for a interstate 6 volt battery. The original 55 T bird dimensions battery that I need for it to fit in the car with no modifications are for 2N battery Group size is 10" L x 5 9/16" W x 8 15/16" H Do they make one somewhat close to this size and anyone have a price of it? Looking for a local dealer of these batteries around my area.

thanks.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "what if" has never been in mine... Not unti this stupid thread put them there:eek:. No matter, my wiring is good everthing works as intended so this time I won't loose any sleep.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Definitely want a physically large, heavy battery, assuming you're running a DC generator, standard in '55. Generators don't do much charging at idle or just off idle, and when the regulator cuts out the entire electrical load is on the battery, unlike alternator systems. So ampere hour capacity is your friend.

5. Wizard

Wizard

Right. Just need to find a interstate dealer near me.

6. Look up heavy equipment or forklift dealers around you.
    Or industrial battery companies.

lots of 6v and 8 volt options out there if you know where to look and quality stuff for less then the name brand guys.

5window likes this.