Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lake style header baffles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bossy, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Gear drive headers and baffles:

2. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

^That car is sweet as hell. Sounds great too!

3. FlatJan

FlatJan

Holy crap that looks fast in the vid :D

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

5. Bossy

Bossy

I bought some stainless mesh to try rapping around a baffle and if not quieter I will do the cut a glass pack muffler in half and install it.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. IrishSean

IrishSean

Anyone worried about getting burnt valves from not having any back pressure from not using baffles? I'm currently running an SBC 350 with lakes headers and no baffles and I've had a couple people warn me about burning up valves. IMG_2113.JPG

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

No, that's an urban myth, valves do not burn from not having back pressure. Your ears on the other hand, they will suffer damage, that is fact. I did it for about 6 months, it was fun for awhile, but it got old. Baffles are the way to go. I used the speedway auger baffles, tapered them to fit and had them tack welded in at a local muffler shop. Check out my thread here:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/baffles-installed-in-lakes-headers.1015380/

mad mikey likes this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I’m part of the “cut a glass pack in half, give it a reverse circumcision and secure it with self tappers” crew.

Make sure to give the self tappers a tighten every once in a while, I blew a baffle out on a road trip. :eek:

30642CB4-2BA4-41FB-A05A-5F145286A12B.jpeg

On a quasi related note and total thread hijack, what’s a good steel wool to use as replacement packing? :cool:

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  9. IrishSean

IrishSean

I have a set of speedway insert baffles that I will install.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Don't use steel wool, try those stainless steel pot scrubbers you can get them at a dollar store!
    I have ceramic wool they use in a pottery kiln wrapped around the baffles in the lake headers on my '32.
    It's not too bad until I get on it!
    KK

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

Right, steel wool will rust and fall apart.

12. Baffles for a VW Stinger Exhaust fits very snug in Sanderson Limefire Headers..

Run about $20 per side

13. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I used Geardrive headers and his baffles but it was a little too loud to drive past my neighbors bedroom window at night so I got a packing kit for a rice rocket motorcycle. It consisted of stainless steel wool and fiberglass sheets. I used stainless steel wire to tie it all to the baffle insert and it worked great. Took away all the sharp crack but still has a deep rumble sound. Flatheads aren't extremely loud to begin with though.

dirty old man likes this.