Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. The "T" is a kit bash using the AMT '25 T chassis modified to mimic the wheelbase of Fred Steeles T on the LP cover and the T Bucket body of Revell' s Parts Packs with the interior seat from the Revell Ed Roth Tweedy Pie kit ( actually The Rodfather re-pop of the Roth kit ). Motor is the Chevy 283 which can be sourced from a number of kits, I think I chose AMTs 57 Chevy Bel Air. Columbia Two Speed rear axle from one of the Revell 40 Ford kits. A lot of parts from my parts box collection spanning a couple of decades of kit collecting. 20180121_225424_001.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    S1B, quick85, Ron Funkhouser and 5 others like this.
  2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Well done /\

65pacecar likes this.
  3. Thanks. I've always loved that vinyl LP cover...exemplifies everything I love about the post war hot rodding period of the late 50s early 60s. If you Google Fred Steele T Bucket you can find a lot of interesting stuff about that car....really helped with the build.

65pacecar likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Since I am a good old fart and staying home for the virus situation I have been fooling with my old model cars to past the time when the rain keeps me inside. I bought this old glue bomb 60 Buick HT a long time ago at a flea market. It must have been built when new by a little kid with a new tube of glue. It had what looked like every do-dad and what not glued on it not to mention the whole decal sheet. I have a bunch of hours in it and it is far from a contest piece but it looks pretty good in the display case. DSCF1153.JPG DSCF1154.JPG DSCF1155.JPG

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^Why the devil aren't model companies releasing a kit of the '59 or '60
    Buick? I don't believe they wouldn't be popular.

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

That's a good question. I would buy 6 or 8 of each. I wonder if the old AMT molds are still around any where?

quick85 likes this.
  7. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I believe Round2 Corporation owns both the AMT and MPC molds and have been the ones re-releasing some of the models. They also own Johnny Lightening, Polar Lights among others.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I check Round2's site semi regularly, along with my very well
    stocked local hobby shop, with no luck. I moan about the things
    that are getting released, Pinto's and the constant flood of muscle
    cars but the fellow at the shop says that stuff sells. I would think it'd
    be a no brainer to release exact duplicates of the old screw-bottomed
    lowering-block cars. Looking like promos, actually rolling, not going
    blind trying to detail the hell out of them. I'd buy a '59 Galaxie with
    the old school decal sheet and plaster the car with them like I did as
    a nine year old. (Actually, I'd buy a few.)

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Sancho and 65pacecar like this.
  9. thepoz57

thepoz57

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Here’s what I’ve been up to. This is a model I have wanted to build for a long time. I should have it finished for next Sunday’s models.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. 1pickup

1pickup

OK, I have a dumb question. I have a couple of boxes of models & parts from when I was a kid in the 70s. I had the parts pretty much with the cars they came with, until my son decided to mix them all together in zip lock bags, boxes, etc. There are complete built kits, some that need to be rebuilt, & piles of parts. Is it worth listing these on CL or eBay, or perhaps in the classifieds here? I don't have the passion for them anymore & they are in the way. I'm surprised by the asking prices of some of this stuff. What would you do?

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

List them here with decent pictures and avoid CL and eBay hassles, there are lots of old guys here that still are into models. Reasonable prices will get sales, the out of site prices you see on some sites are the guys with Barrett-Jackson syndrome.

12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Funny you would bring up the AMT 59 Galaxie, I am working on restoring a 59 HT right now. This one was a flea market find and it had been painted about four different times. Did every little brat that built these Fords when new glue the big old scoop on with a half tube of glue?
    I am right there with you on the original kits, my old eyes and hands are not up to much detailing these days.

quick85 likes this.
  13. rc57

rc57

If they can be somewhat sorted and you have the time, ebay listings on older models can bring some pretty good money. Even if you sell in bulk, display on a nice plain tablecloth so buyer can see contents better.

If you are just looking to get rid of them, ask/negotiate a decent price on here and one of us bin builders would be happy to oblige.

Rich

14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I agree, ask a decent price and give someone a break. It slays me when I see
    what guys are trying to get on ebay for junk. Some may bust my balls for my
    comment with, you know, "Hey if some fool's willing to pay, go for it". Every
    once in a while I'll write a quick note to Round2 that gets me nowhere.

15. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I had to laugh here. From what I see on ebay, everybody, and not just kids, built
    models that way. I like to think I was a little more careful, but probably not. I
    must have built five or six '59 Fords back then.

16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Back in the late 50's and early 60's some of my models had two or three paint jobs, a change of wheels and tires etc. When I would come home with a new R&C or other hot rod- custom magazine a car in the pages would inspire me to re-do a model. That is the reason a lot of my original models have been restored. A soak in brake fluid does wonders;)

quick85 likes this.
  17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I spent time late last night and this afternoon going through ebay listings for
    kits, vintage kits, built-ups and vintage built-ups. I am of the mind that people
    selling on ebay are psychologically damaged. If you are one of those sellers
    that is trying to get rich with your eight inch long hunks of plastic, well...I don't
    apologize. As I grew up my parents decided that I no longer needed my models,
    or any of what would later become "collectible". It's the models that sting the
    most, though.

harley jim, gearhead9663 and LAROKE like this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Heart wrenching, just heart wrenching.

19. I've recently got back into models due to COVID, been working on this 38 Chevy Gasser. It's a reissue of the AMT 37 Chevy kit, with an awesome decal sheet with tons of gasser decals to choose from, the goodyear slicks and the orange tinted 'glass'. The updates in the reissue make this kit super cool. The 38 grille and hood are from a Modelhaus conversion kit I've had for years but never did anything with. Anyway, I just applied some decals, trying to decide if I should do more, then it will get buried in clear. The logo on the decklid is my personal logo that I had someone print out on decal paper for me. The paint is all Testor's laquer I bought at Hobby Lobby. The small window Halibrands I got from a guy on Facebook and IG called "Drag City Castings" I also picked up a chopped 32 fordor body for a future build.
    38 gasser.jpg

38 gasser 1.jpg 38 gasser 2.jpg

20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Am I beating a dead horse here? It's bugging me more and more that I can't enjoy the hobby
    the way I'd like because of the lack of availability of what I truly like. I acquaintances who
    have multiples of the kits I desire and won't get off one of them. They'll never get assembled
    but apparently doesn't matter. Anyway, I decided to give Round 2 another shot with this note.

"I realize I won't receive a reply to this but, once again, I feel the urge to
    try and convince Round 2 to give a more thorough look at its rereleases.
    I've written in the past asking to consider digging into what appears to
    have been both a simpler time and now the golden age of modeling. I feel
    Round 2 is missing the boat entirely by ignoring the popularity of late '50s
    to early '60s . As witnessed by the utterly ridiculous asking prices for junk
    examples of these models in a built-up state, people think these models
    are interesting to modelers, especially us older ones who were purchasing
    them as kids. 1959, '60 and '61 Buicks in hard top or convertible versions.
    1959-62 Pontiacs. Ford's early Falcons and Comets. Do we really need
    more musclecars? There are also those modelers who enjoy the simplicity
    of the early kits. We'd like to build a nice representation of those classic
    kits without totally assembling an entire chassis that may or may not sit
    right when finished, and what good is a toy car that doesn't roll? We like
    the screw bottom chassis and metal axles running through lowering
    blocks. I could go on but I'm sure you're getting my drift. There will
    always be modelers that feel the devil is in the details and love to do
    what they can to the project. I'm asking that you give take the rest of us
    into consideration. Thanks for the chance to voice my thoughts."

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am with you on the kits with the simple chassis,I am not into all that chassis detail since it can not be seen sitting on the shelf and all I need is a decent engine and interior and I can build one I like.

quick85 likes this.
  22. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I hope Round 2 pays attention, there is a big market for the simple screw bottom kits!

quick85 likes this.
  23. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

1938 GMC cabover with scratchbuilt wrecker parts
    cab & stuff 016 (2).JPG

24. Sunday Models
    AKA Sunday Funday
    Testors '48 Ford Coupe
    20200531_114826.jpg
    20200531_114318.jpg
    20200531_112543.jpg
    20200531_112033.jpg
    20200531_100034.jpg
    That is all ...
    Carry on ...

25. Raccoon tail aerial accessory .

Tutorial
    How-To
    Instructions
    Seminar
    Video Conferences... uhmm... NO !
    Infomercial
    on with the pictures
    Crop and save Ya'll
    Cut about a half inch piece of yarn.
    Separate the 3 stands.
    Divide one of the strands into the approximate size for a 'Coon tail.
    Twist and add drop of super glue in the center.
    In a bottle cap add a bit of school glue and water.... mix with toothpick.
    Wet fingers with this and shape the pre twisted yarn. Cut the super glued center in half to get two..
    Brown Sharpie for the rings.
    Trim to shape and the attachment too... attach to antenna .
    Radio ? .... what radio?
    FB_IMG_1591325627834.jpg FB_IMG_1591325637254.jpg FB_IMG_1591325656668.jpg FB_IMG_1591325667259.jpg

26. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE